Seasickness remedies for kids

We used Sea Bands, about $17 a pair at Chemist Warehouse. You wear them around your wrists and they work on pressure points. They really worked for us, and of course no side effects. We also had "travacalm" ginger tablets.

For medication you can get Kwells Kids, and I'm sure there's other options I'm unaware of.

I don't think you should give a child as young as three any over-the-counter medication without first consultig your doctor. It's all too easy to miscalculate the dose for a child that young.

Yes like i said I'll be asking my Dr, was just after some ideas i could ask him about

I would enquire with the doctor about Phenergan. It has the same active ingredient as Avomine which is widely used for sea sickness.

and it is something a child will probably eat.

Perhaps a small cup of giner ale, even though it has a lot of refined sugar, might help.

When my daughter was younger, she swore the wrist bands helped.

My husband and I always travel with chewable ginger tablets and we both find them very helpful, though I personally loathe the taste of ginger in any form. I have tried the capsules but they don't work nearly as well for me.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Have a test with Phenergan at home - my kids go stupidly hyperactive, not what I'd want to be dealing with lol!

That's weird. Phenergan is commonly used as a sedative. It worked that way on our kids (and on me when I had chicken pox).

Majority of kids it will act as a sedative, but about 5% will have the opposite!

Does anybody know if the on board doctor has an option for kids if they get sick? I am half resigned to a jab if seas get rough at all, would rather that than not enjoying the holiday...would be good to know if the kids will have an option too if they have my seasickness genes :P

An 'old wives tale' that has worked for us is a harmless free remedy that may work...great for kids because there is no drugs involved. .don't know how you will go with a 3 year old, but if they are right handed put a cotton wool ear plug in the left ear or if left handed, put it in the right ear...it worked for us on one cruise that was really rough...6-8m waves on Rhapsody when she was here.

Worth a costless drug free try. Good luck.

I am normally totally up for natural things to try...but don't think that one will work for us, I am ambidextrous and both kids haven't locked in a preference yet (in fact I don't think very many kids have at 3?)

But keep the options coming! Sorry to hijack Lexandme, saves me asking the same question closer to my cruise :p

• 3 weeks later...
That's weird. Phenergan is commonly used as a sedative. It worked that way on our kids (and on me when I had chicken pox).

Yes, for as long as I can remember it has been suggested to help babies/children "sleep" on planes as well... but always comes with the warning to test at home first because it has been known to have the opposite effect on children and send them into an uncontrollable hypo :eek:.

• 3 months later...

8a1837a94ee2184f6e11fce93cea410c_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who works with an anesthetiser who puts a small craft bead on the wedding finger of patients who get sick from anesthetiser, it stops the sickness.

We tried this last December on our cruise and it worked. I just bought some from the $2 shop and applied it with sticky tape

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes like i said I'll be asking my Dr, was just after some ideas i could ask him about

Ginger and green apples are really good for sea sickness so if your child will nibble on giving get biscuits or green apples they may help apples are available in buffet but you would need to take your own ginger