Berlin overnight and fly to Copenhagen

Hi everyone! We heard the train or coach from Warnemude to Berlin is several hours long so our evening at port would just be an afternoon. We are going to take the train into Berlin and then stay overnight at an AirBNB in the Charlottesburg neighborhood of Berlin, then hit the Turkish market in the morning and fly to Copenhagen to meet up with the ship, since our ship is having an overnight visit there and there will be plenty of time to sight see.

Has anyone else done this on a European itinerary, at these ports or others? Specifically for Berlin, what would you see at night if you could?

As to the skipping of time on the ship, the very common recommendation on Cruise Critic is that you need to ask the cruise line, get their approval in writing, take that written approval with you, and present it on the ship to make sure there is no problem doing it.

You will not get a reduction in your fare for the missed time off the ship.

And, of course, should something go wrong, (late or canceled flights, for example) you are responsible for your expenses to catch up with the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi everyone! We heard the train or coach from Warnemude to Berlin is several hours long so our evening at port would just be an afternoon. We are going to take the train into Berlin and then stay overnight at an AirBNB in the Charlottesburg neighborhood of Berlin, then hit the Turkish market in the morning and fly to Copenhagen to meet up with the ship, since our ship is having an overnight visit there and there will be plenty of time to sight see.

Has anyone else done this on a European itinerary, at these ports or others? Specifically for Berlin, what would you see at night if you could?

I don't know your specific interests but I spent a week in Berlin this past fall. Berlin has a very hip bar/club scene, lots of musical venues & cultural events (http://www.visitberlin.de) & great restaurants along the ku'damm where you can enjoy a meal, beer/glass of wine & people watch. Dinner cruises along the Spree seem to be popular (to see the city lit by night).

Don't know if you enjoy jazz but since you mention that you are staying in the Charlottenburg neighborhood, there is a great jazz club in the area - A Trane Jazzclub (IMHO, the best Berlin club for live music). It's open every night, features musicians from all over the world and has hosted many famous musicians over the course of its history.

If you like museums and are overnight on Thursday, some of Berlin's world class museums/galleries are open until 8pm.

Edited by dogs4fun

As to the skipping of time on the ship, the very common recommendation on Cruise Critic is that you need to ask the cruise line, get their approval in writing, take that written approval with you, and present it on the ship to make sure there is no problem doing it.

You will not get a reduction in your fare for the missed time off the ship.

And, of course, should something go wrong, (late or canceled flights, for example) you are responsible for your expenses to catch up with the ship.

Thanks! I'm so glad that we went through all of that prior to booking our AirBNB, flight, and especially posting here on CC. I'd hate to look uninformed!;)

I don't know your specific interests but I spent a week in Berlin this past fall. Berlin has a very hip bar/club scene, lots of musical venues & cultural events (http://www.visitberlin.de) & great restaurants along the ku'damm where you can enjoy a meal, beer/glass of wine & people watch. Dinner cruises along the Spree seem to be popular (to see the city lit by night).

Don't know if you enjoy jazz but since you mention that you are staying in the Charlottenburg neighborhood, there is a great jazz club in the area - A Trane Jazzclub (IMHO, the best Berlin club for live music). It's open every night, features musicians from all over the world and has hosted many famous musicians over the course of its history.

If you like museums and are overnight on Thursday, some of Berlin's world class museums/galleries are open until 8pm.

A great jazz club? Cruiser after my own heart! Thank you SO much for all the leads. We will peruse those sites (of course, it will be easier when my travel companion comes over as she knows survival German and I chose other languages in school). Danke!

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to *bump* this thread so that others on a similar itinerary could see it. We stayed overnight in Berlin, went to that Jazz club, had an easy time gettting to Tiegel Airport and then survived the hustle and bustle of Copenhagen Airport. Well with the extra work and we recommend this option to everyone we know doing a Baltic cruise.

Do it! Make your trip special!

I just wanted to *bump* this thread so that others on a similar itinerary could see it. We stayed overnight in Berlin, went to that Jazz club, had an easy time gettting to Tiegel Airport and then survived the hustle and bustle of Copenhagen Airport. Well with the extra work and we recommend this option to everyone we know doing a Baltic cruise.

Do it! Make your trip special!

Sounds like you had a great trip and enjoyed your time in Berlin. The A Trane is a great club if one enjoys Jazz. :)