Voyager of the Seas Pools and pre-schoolers

Hi all

Soon to be crusing VOS from Sydney. I'm wondering if anyone one can tell me what the pools are like for pre-schoolers. I have read a splash and play area was removed in the recent renovations of the ship to make way for the flow rider. I am also under the impression from reading reviews that the pools are quite deep at the shallow area and deepens further. Not sure if any of what I am saying is fact so i would appreciate being corrected.

So far I havent read anything that suggests my 4 year old would be able to play in the pools without me having to be in there due to depths.

My 4 year old is not likely to use the Oceans Club either as he would not be keen to go off with strangers and play there without the company of a familar face.

I am thinking theres probably not much for his amusement on this ship or is there? The ship doesnt appear to cater for this age group but more for pre teens and teens.

Thanks for any replies.

There will be lots of things for him to do!

You would have to supervise him in the pool anyway. As well, there is iceskating, johnny rockets, mini golf, an arcade.

I would try him in Adventure Ocean as the staff are very very skilled at entertaining kids and usually have lots of great activities. It definitely is not just for pre teens and teens.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was referring to more shallow knee deep areas for a spalsh and play as I do not want to always have to swim myself and wear bathers all day long. Standing in there supervising is what I am referring to. The arcade games are not complimentary so that could get expensive. One Johnnys Rockets burger would be enough in one day and he doesnt know or couldn't ice skate as a first timer. We'll give it a go though. Mini golf would be fun for a while.

I see there is a basketball court we could use for ball play which is loves. Are balls supplied on board to use or do have to bring them with you?

I can see why the OP is concerned regarding the pool situation for younger kids and in my opinion she should be.

I haven't been on Voyager but was on the sister ship Explorer and the removal of the kiddies pool is a big drawback for younger cruisers. There really isn't a good place for them to splash around. To use the main pool they will have to be potty trained. Then they may possibly have a splash at the very shallow areas along the edge of the pool. The main pools are deep and even I'm at almost 6ft I just about able to keep my head above water standing up.

Basketballs are provided on the ship.

Hi all

So far I havent read anything that suggests my 4 year old would be able to play in the pools without me having to be in there due to depths.

Thanks for any replies.

umm, you should be in there with him no matter what. there are no lifeguards, the pools get VERY crowded and it takes less than a minute to drown even when surrounded by people.

the boards are full of tragic stories about parents who turned away for a second or worse, were not in the pool at all and their child drowned.

I think you have misunderstood what i was asking. No i do not plan to let my child be in a pool at any time unattended if you re- read my posts. That would be really stupid. I do not plan on anyone else taking responsibility for my child other than myself even if a life guard was present. I fully understand the risks of children and water. I have never taken my eyes off my child in a water situation either.

I presumed everyone was familar with public swimming pools that would normally be found on land at a swimming centre. A splash and play area or a shallow area (ankle/knee deep) is one that a parent could remain fully clothed and be standing in the water, while the child has a play. Some centres (on land) that I have been to may have water fountains in the shallow areas as well. I do not want to be in bathers and swimmming in water that is really deep whilst trying to hold onto a child. Sounds like if I wish to take him for a swim I will have to take a swim vest and be in the water also, as it sound like there are no splash and play areas. My son is 3 now and will be 4 when we go.

Anyway, thats all.

Hi. I know what you mean re splash & play. We were just on Voyager & I was shocked at the lack of such an area, (like Radiance has).

The kids- (aged between 5 & say 19) used the outside pools & hot tubs, while the adults mostly used the solarium.

There's definitely no area of ONLY ankle/knee deep water, as it's just around the pools, which lead in to the deep water.

Everywhere we went were HUGE crowds.

Taking him to see the FlowRider might entertain for a few hours & every day there are meet & greets with Shrek characters.

Thanks for making it clear Hailzmick. At least now I know that I will need to pack a bulky swim vest or something similar to make it easier to swim with him in deep water, which I was hoping to avoid. I am really surprised and disappointed that VOS has not catered for this age group in the swimmimg area. At our local pool we can spend hours there because different age groups are catered for. Plus they burn lots of energy which makes bedtime easy. Maybe we can go in the hot tub together, so that is something. At the end of the day a crusie is only a short time and I am sure we will find or create some fun . Its easy to keep this age group amused at home with so many things to choose from but on a ship it is limited by what is provided and what you are able to bring in a suitcase. Its good to know these things before we sail.

I’m sure it will be happy sailing..

Thanks for making it clear Hailzmick. At least now I know that I will need to pack a bulky swim vest or something similar to make it easier to swim with him in deep water, which I was hoping to avoid. I am really surprised and disappointed that VOS has not catered for this age group in the swimmimg area. At our local pool we can spend hours there because different age groups are catered for. Plus they burn lots of energy which makes bedtime easy. Maybe we can go in the hot tub together, so that is something. At the end of the day a crusie is only a short time and I am sure we will find or create some fun . Its easy to keep this age group amused at home with so many things to choose from but on a ship it is limited by what is provided and what you are able to bring in a suitcase. Its good to know these things before we sail.

I’m sure it will be happy sailing..

4 yo should not be in a hot tub ever. in fact the signs indicate you must be 12( or is it 16?) and they are NOT miniature pools.( we have had to kick plenty of pre teens out for diving and swimming around the middle area disturbing those of us who are there to sit and relax like it's meant to be used for)

just where do you expect a ship with LIMITED open space to stick a splash zone that caters to very young toddlers? this is NOT a land based Community Pool which can designate such areas.

ships need to allocate their resources to accommodate the MAJORITY. no-one ship is going to go out of their way to cater to a 4 year old's desire to run amuck in ankle deep water. that's what water parks are for. they DO accommodate toddlers: by having a very well run kids club and offering other activities.

if your child likes to play in the water then plan beach excursions for in port.

Your tone is so unpleasant you really should not be posting on here. Your communication skills are really off! Your tone is nasty! If you are not able to tolerate the human race maybe you should find a lonely little island where lonley nasty people go to have a holiday!

....Is there anything thing else you would like to bother me with?

This is a photo of Explorer of the Seas pools and presume Voyager is similar/identical. You can see there are shallow ankle deep water around the pool, these might be the best places to have a splash with young children.

I think Freedom class ships are much better with younger children where pool time is important, they have the H2O zone.

IMG_6441_zpslxi91wgg.jpg

Realize you are already booked on the Voyageur, but thought you might like to know for future cruises to look for a ship with an H2O zone. This is a small splash/mini water park area for kids. Freedom and Oasis class of ships have them. Really nice for little ones.

On most ships kids (of any age) are not supposed to be in hot tubs. This is because they are medically not recommended for children - too easy for them to overheat and become dehydrated. Signs are posted, but like many things, people ignore.

Recent cruises I have been on have had life jackets available poolside, but you cannot take them ashore for excursions.

Thanks Grandma Dazzles for your helpful advice.

We will take time to research those you suggested next time. I knew other ships had these areas so I presumed VOS would too. I know my 10 year old will be able to use the pool area and presumed there would be somewhere in the pool area for pre-schoolers. I should have done more research prior to booking. Having said that I am still happy to be booked on the VOS. The aim of this post was to ascertain what was in the swim area for pre-schoolers so I was prepared and knew what to expect. I need to know what to bring and what not to. If the hot tubs are out of bounds then so be it. I can live with that. We are booked on deck 12 so we will be in the pool area the most as our kids will have the most fun around water. We are first time cruisers so we do not know. My 10 year old is totally dazzled by VOS and he doesn’t even know he’s going on it yet. He talks about it all the time. He has a thing for these big crusie ship.

Thanks Grandma Dazzles for your helpful advice.

We will take time to research those you suggested next time. I knew other ships had these areas so I presumed VOS would too. I know my 10 year old will be able to use the pool area and presumed there would be somewhere in the pool area for pre-schoolers. I should have done more research prior to booking. Having said that I am still happy to be booked on the VOS. The aim of this post was to ascertain what was in the swim area for pre-schoolers so I was prepared and knew what to expect. I need to know what to bring and what not to. If the hot tubs are out of bounds then so be it. I can live with that. We are booked on deck 12 so we will be in the pool area the most as our kids will have the most fun around water. We are first time cruisers so we do not know. My 10 year old is totally dazzled by VOS and he doesn’t even know he’s going on it yet. He talks about it all the time. He has a thing for these big crusie ship.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Didn't realize you were cruising for the first time. Royal Caribbean is great for families.

RC ships are beautiful, and of similar design. If you go to the RC website you will find information on the "class" of ships. Each ship in a specific class is pretty much identical. For example, Voyageur was the first ship in that class, and then the Adventure, Explorer, Mariner, and Navigator . They are just about the same. Hope that helps. You can see what is on each ship, the size, etc. Freedom class is next in size, and then Oasis class. I think you will figure it out!

If you plan to take the kids ice skating, which is fun and quite a novelty on the ocean, you have to have long pants and socks. Skates and helmets are provided. Thought I would mention, as they are pretty strict on that and many people don't bring long pants/socks! Kids will love the ice show too.

Again, enjoy!

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I think you have misunderstood what i was asking. No i do not plan to let my child be in a pool at any time unattended if you re- read my posts. That would be really stupid. I do not plan on anyone else taking responsibility for my child other than myself even if a life guard was present. I fully understand the risks of children and water. I have never taken my eyes off my child in a water situation either.

I presumed everyone was familar with public swimming pools that would normally be found on land at a swimming centre. A splash and play area or a shallow area (ankle/knee deep) is one that a parent could remain fully clothed and be standing in the water, while the child has a play. Some centres (on land) that I have been to may have water fountains in the shallow areas as well. I do not want to be in bathers and swimmming in water that is really deep whilst trying to hold onto a child. Sounds like if I wish to take him for a swim I will have to take a swim vest and be in the water also, as it sound like there are no splash and play areas. My son is 3 now and will be 4 when we go.

Anyway, thats all.

there is a shallow splash and play with slide in the kids club area

Hi Shore1970

Myself, my wife and 5 year old were on Voyager in December last year and we had a such a great time we re-booked for Sydney to Singapore cruise in April 2017. The pools are definitely not set up for young kids that are not good swimmers as there is no shallow end. Having said that we went into the pool every day with our 5 year old daughter who is a reasonable swimmer and she loved it.

The hot tubs were always packed with kids from 3 years old to teenagers so don't worry about the under 12 year old rule as it is never enforced. My 5 year old daughter loved the hot tubs especially in the afternoon when they played movies on the big screen that you could watch whilst sitting in the hot tubs.

The kids club on Voyager is great. Many nights my 5 year old daughter begged us to let her stay there when we came to pick her up at 10pm. Definitely worth giving it a try. Your 4 year old may like it. The staff are very caring and do spend extra time with kids that may find it daunting. If you can manage to have a kid free night I would recommend going to Chops Grille for dinner. The food is magnificent and the view from a table for 2 next to the floor to ceiling windows is incredible. Well worth the additional cost.

Make sure you book for the Dreamworks Character Breakfast. Your 4 year old will love it. Agree with Grandma Dazzles about the Ice Show. We went 4 times it was so good. Best show we've ever seen on a cruise ship, just amazing how they do what they do on such a small ice rink.

Just a side note, the advice given to you regarding the Freedom and Oasis class ships is correct as they do have H20 Zones for young kids. The problem for us that live in Australia is we have to travel half way around the world to go on a Freedom or Oasis class ship so I'm guessing like me that that may not be an option for you as you would prefer to cruise from Australia due to the cost.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thanks MikeC1610.

Definately will encourage my 10yr old to give the club a try. I doubt my 4 yr old will but you never know. I'm glad to hear your whole family enjoyed VOS. The reviews from Feb/March 2016 crusies have been positive. With all the other things going on around the ship I am sure the time on there will go by really fast. I hope not too fast though.

The pool area will probably be just a little addition to whats on offer. If cruising turns out to be something we like then it would be great to try a different ship in the future.

My head is having a hard enough time with this ship for now.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe that has been removed.

I recently took DD8 on the Pacific Jewel where they have a 2m*3m*30cm pool in the kids club area. The pool is designed for younger kids but she had some fun playing in it (there's no maximum age specified). It takes up hardly any space and lots of kids had fun in it.

But I'm sure VoS will be great even without that feature. Looking forward to my first RCI cruise in November!

• 2 weeks later...