Where your nickle and dime goes

chet the jet

If you look at the proxy statement (which is sent to shareholders or available on the NCL website for anyone), it actually documents what FDR was paid, by category. This may be slightly more accurate than some hack web site which shows what he was "payed" (sic), as in - he wasn't given $31 million in cash.

Since people can get sued, fined and jailed for false proxy statements, I'm assuming they're more accurate than someone pulling out one number.

Here's FDR's break-down:

• $1,837,500 salary
  • $10,276,315 stock awards (stock, not money)
  • $17,752,083 options awards (options to buy stock, not stock, not money)
  • $1,903,799 non-equity incentive plan (money, I presume)
  • $140,651 other compensation (benefits, 401K matching)

That's the $31,910,348 from the "article."

So, he got a lot of stock which is only worth real money if the company does well enough to keep the price high until he can sell it - and there are time limitations on when it can be sold.

He got options which are only worth money if the stock is worth more than the option on the day it is exercised - which means the company has to be doing well, and again, he can't exercise the options immediately.

Is he overpaid? Possibly. Did he walk away with $31 million cash? Hardly.

If you look at the proxy statement (which is sent to shareholders or available on the NCL website for anyone), it actually documents what FDR was paid, by category. This may be slightly more accurate than some hack web site which shows what he was "payed" (sic), as in - he wasn't given $31 million in cash.

Since people can get sued, fined and jailed for false proxy statements, I'm assuming they're more accurate than someone pulling out one number.

Here's FDR's break-down:

• $1,837,500 salary
  • $10,276,315 stock awards (stock, not money)
  • $17,752,083 options awards (options to buy stock, not stock, not money)
  • $1,903,799 non-equity incentive plan (money, I presume)
  • $140,651 other compensation (benefits, 401K matching)

That's the $31,910,348 from the "article."

So, he got a lot of stock which is only worth real money if the company does well enough to keep the price high until he can sell it - and there are time limitations on when it can be sold.

He got options which are only worth money if the stock is worth more than the option on the day it is exercised - which means the company has to be doing well, and again, he can't exercise the options immediately.

Is he overpaid? Possibly. Did he walk away with $31 million cash? Hardly.

Would you take it if given to you. Stocks will be money when you can sell it.

Would you take it if given to you. Stocks will be money when you can sell it.

Stocks will only be money when you can sell it if the company does well.

I had options from my (major US industrial) company, waited the requisite seven years or so, and corporate management had screwed up the company so badly in the interim that they were worthless. (I saw no point in buying stock for more than I could purchase it for on the open market).

I have options that vested and are worth less today than the day they were granted.

So, options are only worth money if senior management makes good decisions and keeps the value of the company increasing.

If a CEO is given options, it tends to make him or her want the company to do well at least until the options are vested.

Some of the comments here is quite sickening. There is no denying there is a wealth distribution issue that is sending shocks to the overall well being of the economic system, we saw that in 2008-2009 with the collapse. We KNOWN that for a fact GOP supporters are older age and younger people are not exactly flocking to the ko ko trump GOP freakshow at the moment, because of all the wealth distribution issue, you will only see an increase shift to Left like what we have faced in Canada, it is the undeniable trend. This issue alone with Trump have already forced GOP to focus on maintaining their two houses because the president race is already over at this point.

Politics aside, from a purely economic figures perspective, the overall economy does Better when the lowest level is making a living wage, which at <10-15 a hour, really is not one.

Again, this is a cruise forum not a political one, mentioning Bernie or Trump is pretty ridiculous and turning this thread into a left to right issue.

Lastly, as someone who invests, Del Rio is being paid over inflated salary with bonus, his salary does not make sense from a shareholder point of view. He is not paid proportionally to his duty and worth and I question NCL's board for approving such package.

Problem with Options again, is whether the CEO truly care about the long term perspective of company as oppose to short term flip.

Edited by jackjia199637

Article skewed the facts quite a bit. FDR's salary was around $3.7M. Stock options have to be paid for at whatever strike price was agreed to in his compensation. In short, FDR HAS TO PAY for the options.

Stock granted has stipulations as to when and how many he can sell at any given time, and probably has some vesting period where he cannot sell any shares, for any reason.

Who knows what those shares will be worth when he's allowed to sell them. Trying to put a number on the shares is a fools exercise given it's not known when he can sell them.

The options may be worth something, or may end up being under water and worth nothing.

I had startup shares in a company I helped found. Some shares were worth quite a bit. Others weren't worth the paper they were written on. But, on paper, the number was well over a million, even though when I sold them the number was a small fraction of that.

So, don't get your panties in a bunch over this article. They aren't presenting the whole (or even accurate) picture.

Article skewed the facts quite a bit. FDR's salary was around $3.7M. Stock options have to be paid for at whatever strike price was agreed to in his compensation. In short, FDR HAS TO PAY for the options.

Stock granted has stipulations as to when and how many he can sell at any given time, and probably has some vesting period where he cannot sell any shares, for any reason.

Who knows what those shares will be worth when he's allowed to sell them. Trying to put a number on the shares is a fools exercise given it's not known when he can sell them.

The options may be worth something, or may end up being under water and worth nothing.

I had startup shares in a company I helped found. Some shares were worth quite a bit. Others weren't worth the paper they were written on. But, on paper, the number was well over a million, even though when I sold them the number was a small fraction of that.

So, don't get your panties in a bunch over this article. They aren't presenting the whole (or even accurate) picture.

Options for public companies generally are fairly attractive, if not extremely generous to a fault when it comes to low strike prices, unless he tanked the stock, he will likely make a lot of money regardless if its RSU or not.

Edited by jackjia199637

As I noted, even a cursory glance shows the article is misleading. Absent a miracle, there is no way a board would ever authorize a salary in excess of 3x peers...

His actual salary and cash compensation is less than $5 mil when you factor in overhead like share of taxes, etc, non cash compensatory expenses (such as the fact he probably cruises free if he wants to). The rest are options and stock grants, which while they can represent income to him, they cost the company nothing, they are dilutive to shareholders instead (absent a little admin cost).

Some of the comments here is quite sickening. There is no denying there is a wealth distribution issue that is sending shocks to the overall well being of the economic system, we saw that in 2008-2009 with the collapse. We KNOWN that for a fact GOP supporters are older age and younger people are not exactly flocking to the ko ko trump GOP freakshow at the moment, because of all the wealth distribution issue, you will only see an increase shift to Left like what we have faced in Canada, it is the undeniable trend. This issue alone with Trump have already forced GOP to focus on maintaining their two houses because the president race is already over at this point.

Politics aside, from a purely economic figures perspective, the overall economy does Better when the lowest level is making a living wage, which at <10-15 a hour, really is not one.

Again, this is a cruise forum not a political one, mentioning Bernie or Trump is pretty ridiculous and turning this thread into a left to right issue.

Lastly, as someone who invests, Del Rio is being paid over inflated salary with bonus, his salary does not make sense from a shareholder point of view. He is not paid proportionally to his duty and worth and I question NCL's board for approving such package.

Problem with Options again, is whether the CEO truly care about the long term perspective of company as oppose to short term flip.

I'm sure your a major shareholder. What, 50-100 common shares. Started out with 10 there for a couple of splits, just to get the sucky share holder benefits?

And your minuet amount of common shares, and you didn't vote down the compensation pkg?

Well, you go to the next meeting as a SH so you can have your grievances documented. Go get em tiger...