Where your nickle and dime goes

chet the jet

Is NCL 4X better than the there cruise lines? Del Rio gets 4X those CEOs salaries.

and the point is? That is the salary he negotiated. As has been stated before his overall salary may be but others come close after their stock and bonus payouts

I thought I read somewhere where the CEO of Carnival (Mickey something) paid himself a year-end dividend of around $90 million in 2012, so it looks like Mr. Del Rio isn't the only one with good negotiation skills.

I'll bet you don't need too many negotiating skills when you own the company.

Bill

Don't people realize who are so complacent with the astoundingly gigantic increases of corporate CEO salaries that have occurred over the past 20 to 30 years, that that is connected to the millions of hard working middle class families who have now fallen into near poverty with decreased in pay and benefits? There has not been a huge increase in business success,

, instead some increase but mostly a reshuffling of the dollars so more go to those at the top, mostly relatives of the millionaire class who are groomed for positions as CEOs and whose strategy is not to produce a better product, but instead to increase customer costs and decrease what is provided and because all the big corporations are doing it, the average guy are often like sheep, saying this this is just the way it is. But it doesn't have to be that way. Complaining on Cruise Critic isn't much, but together with the pressure of the dollar from the customers and increased public awareness deciding to not just settle anymore with this corruption of our previously democratic way might in time change things for the good.

don't people realize who are so complacent with the astoundingly gigantic increases of corporate ceo salaries that have occurred over the past 20 to 30 years, that that is connected to the millions of hard working middle class families who have now fallen into near poverty with decreased in pay and benefits? There has not been a huge increase in business success,

, instead some increase but mostly a reshuffling of the dollars so more go to those at the top, mostly relatives of the millionaire class who are groomed for positions as ceos and whose strategy is not to produce a better product, but instead to increase customer costs and decrease what is provided and because all the big corporations are doing it, the average guy are often like sheep, saying this this is just the way it is. But it doesn't have to be that way. Complaining on cruise critic isn't much, but together with the pressure of the dollar from the customers and increased public awareness deciding to not just settle anymore with this corruption of our previously democratic way might in time change things for the good.

give me a frickin break bernie sanders and cry me a river

I truly don't understand your continual bitching about the so called nickel and dining, if you don't want to eat in the pay restaurants don't, eat in free, don't want to bowl, don't, don't want to play bingo don't.

I have never been forced to pay anything i did not want to pay for on a cruise, nor did i feel I was missing out on anything because I did not want to pay for it.

Very confused, what items have emptied your pocket?

When you have cruised as many times as I have or for as many years, your confusion might be alleviated. Until then, just keep giving NCL your nickels and dimes. They are more than happy to take them.

Most of his $31MM is tied to stock prices. NCLH has done VERY well under his guidance.

Stephen

Interesting theory. NCL must have set a VERY low bar for stock appreciation as it relates to CEO compensation.

Since Del Rio took over over on Jan 9, 2015, the stock has risen a grand total of 4.24%. During the same period Carnival's stock rose 3.92%.

Del Rio received $31.9 million for NCLH's 4.24% stock price increase while the Carnival Corp President and CEO received $9.3 million for their 3.92% stock price increase. Carnival is the largest cruise line in the world with a 52% world market share. Carnival is a MUCH larger organization than NCLH. I'm not really sure how one could justify Del Rio making 340% more than the world's largest cruise line's CEO whose company had a similar stock price appreciation.

When you have cruised as many times as I have or for as many years, your confusion might be alleviated. Until then, just keep giving NCL your nickels and dimes. They are more than happy to take them.

It was a pretty simple question so I am not sure of the reluctance to answer. This is a forum so people can learn, so why can't you help us out.?

You continually post about being nickel and dimed. Can you please explain to everyone here how?

Edited by pieshops

Don't people realize who are so complacent with the astoundingly gigantic increases of corporate CEO salaries that have occurred over the past 20 to 30 years, that that is connected to the millions of hard working middle class families who have now fallen into near poverty with decreased in pay and benefits? There has not been a huge increase in business success,

, instead some increase but mostly a reshuffling of the dollars so more go to those at the top, mostly relatives of the millionaire class who are groomed for positions as CEOs and whose strategy is not to produce a better product, but instead to increase customer costs and decrease what is provided and because all the big corporations are doing it, the average guy are often like sheep, saying this this is just the way it is. But it doesn't have to be that way. Complaining on Cruise Critic isn't much, but together with the pressure of the dollar from the customers and increased public awareness deciding to not just settle anymore with this corruption of our previously democratic way might in time change things for the good.

I started to respond to your post and realized that I would moving into a political discussion not allowed on this website. Compare the top 100 corporation thirty years ago with those today and you will find many have been replaced. Firms like Facebook, Apple and others reap unbelievable rewards.

Back to the cruise industry, I will say that NCL has changed in one major way these past few years. NCL has gone back into South America and expanded to Asia and Australia/NZ. It offers far more choices than it did a few years ago. That is a good thing.

Okay, so Del Rio went from 2.1 million to 31.9 million in a single bound. Doesn't that happen every day in Corporate America?

So NCL felt for some reason that Del Rio would not accept this position for even, say, double his previous salary, nor triple it, nor even quadruple it, which would bring it to the level of both RCI's and Carnival's CEOs at around 9 million each.

No, they felt like they had to make him an offer which increased his salary to an amazing 15 times his previous salary. It's a little mind boggling actually. What in the world is going on at NCL? IMO, just a bone headed decision that doesn't bode well for intelligent corporate oversight at NCL.

Does anyone really believe that he is putting in 15 times the effort, or will make the company 15 times the profit that he would have at a more reasonable, but still highly lucrative, salary? I'm sure the CEO's at Carnival and RCI are taking their pay stubs into the board rooms and saying, "What the h***!!"

LMAO. ughh corporate America. Jeez. Good for him and other like him. But jeez. So sickening

Interesting theory. NCL must have set a VERY low bar for stock appreciation as it relates to CEO compensation.

Since Del Rio took over over on Jan 9, 2015, the stock has risen a grand total of 4.24%. During the same period Carnival's stock rose 3.92%.

Del Rio received $31.9 million for NCLH's 4.24% stock price increase while the Carnival Corp President and CEO received $9.3 million for their 3.92% stock price increase. Carnival is the largest cruise line in the world with a 52% world market share. Carnival is a MUCH larger organization than NCLH. I'm not really sure how one could justify Del Rio making 340% more than the world's largest cruise line's CEO whose company had a similar stock price appreciation.

At its most basic. There are two types of stock preferred & common. Also right now Carnival is cash poor while HCL Is not.

Most executives have pre negotiations bonus structures built into there contracts.

Del Rio exceeded his bonus tier and was paid accordingly. Also, Fain from RCCL. also made a huge bonus. Is RCCL following the "VERY" low bar set by NCL?

It was a pretty simple question so I am not sure of the reluctance to answer. This is a forum so people can learn, so why can't you help us out.?

You continually post about being nickel and dimed. Can you please explain to everyone here how?

It's actually a very complex question that I did answer. You just don't like the answer. You are not here to learn, you are here to argue and push your agenda. Keep cruising and you should be able to learn as you go. I say should because there is no guarantee. Some people just never get it.

Here's an interesting perspective, which isn't mine, but The Motley Fool investing site's:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/04/14/is-norwegian-cruise-lines-a-buy.aspx?source=yahoo-2&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo-2

Stephen

It's actually a very complex question that I did answer. You just don't like the answer. You are not here to learn, you are here to argue and push your agenda. Keep cruising and you should be able to learn as you go. I say should because there is no guarantee. Some people just never get it.

I apologize I did not see the answer anywhere. Would you mind attaching a link so I can read it? Not here to argue only learn and teach others

Please send the link. Much appreciated

Yeah, recycle old news. OP is 2 weeks behind and needs to pick it up a notch.

Yep. Recycle this:

According to Bloomberg the biggest compensation for 2015 was payed to the Norwegian cruise line CEO Frank J. Del Rio of staggering $31.9 million.

This is quite enormous sum of money considering that in 2014 his compensation was only $2.1 million.

Just to set the facts straight.

The premise of the article is ridiculous. Does anyone really think that the waiters should be paid commensurate with the CEO of a major corporation?

(Bernie Sanders???)

FDR is CEO of NCL Holdings which at the minimum owns three cruise lines.

I would assume there are other ancillary things that he is responsible for.

Does anyone know what Andy Stuart makes? Since he is chief operating officer for NCL only. I would assume his salary is more in line with the other cruise lines.

Yep. Recycle this:

According to Bloomberg the biggest compensation for 2015 was payed to the Norwegian cruise line CEO Frank J. Del Rio of staggering $31.9 million.

This is quite enormous sum of money considering that in 2014 his compensation was only $2.1 million.

No wonder why cruises cost so much!