Where your nickle and dime goes

chet the jet

well Del Rio did save NCL money by raising prices and not caring as much for customer service satisfaction :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D so is only fair he gets a little raise :-). In all truthfulness he is doing what he was hired to do which is to make NCL MONEY.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Okay, so Del Rio went from 2.1 million to 31.9 million in a single bound. Doesn't that happen every day in Corporate America?

So NCL felt for some reason that Del Rio would not accept this position for even, say, double his previous salary, nor triple it, nor even quadruple it, which would bring it to the level of both RCI's and Carnival's CEOs at around 9 million each.

No, they felt like they had to make him an offer which increased his salary to an amazing 15 times his previous salary. It's a little mind boggling actually. What in the world is going on at NCL? IMO, just a bone headed decision that doesn't bode well for intelligent corporate oversight at NCL.

Does anyone really believe that he is putting in 15 times the effort, or will make the company 15 times the profit that he would have at a more reasonable, but still highly lucrative, salary? I'm sure the CEO's at Carnival and RCI are taking their pay stubs into the board rooms and saying, "What the h***!!"

Edited by punkincc

What is it with the liberal whiney threads today.

Yes the CEO gets paid more then the guy who washes the dishes, yes thats the way it is supposed to be. Washing dishes is an entry level job, I did it when I was starting out in the restaurant business for 2 years, it builds character and made me the person I am today. Now I own the company and make more then the dishwasher, but by doing that job makes me the person I am today.

Every person in every position deserves to try and get as much money as they can possibly get, but there is a fine line. When a line cook walks in and demands 200,000 a year they probably will not have a job very long.

If these CEO's can get the money awesome, if they don't do their job they will be gone or if fares rise so high to compensate the salaries and customers walk the same will happen so there is a fine line

So what? CEOs all over get paid a lot. They are heads of major corporations whether private or public. It is what the market bears. It is none of my business.

People who complain are just envoius.

I have a realative who is a well-paid athlete. Many are envious. He has a talent and works his butt off. Same principle.

What confuses me is how much more the NCL CEO makes over the RCCL CEO. NCL is a much smaller cruise line. You would think the bigger cruise line, the more the CEO makes. I do wish NCL would share some of those huge salaries with employees or at least give everyone a free drink on board :eek:

So what? CEOs all over get paid a lot. They are heads of major corporations whether private or public. It is what the market bears. It is none of my business.

People who complain are just envoius.

I have a realative who is a well-paid athlete. Many are envious. He has a talent and works his butt off. Same principle.

Yes, they get paid a lot, and for the most part they deserve it. I haven't seen anyone say they were envious. None of us snooped, or rang him up to ask what he made. Apparently, it is public information, just like it is for any other CEO of a corporation which must answer to shareholders. It's part of the overall financial picture of the company.

So it's a valid topic for this board. It just seems to me to be so blatantly out of line with the salaries of his peers. Otherwise, it would be a "so what" for me too. Nearly 4 times more than Carnival or RCI pays despite the fact that both of these companies, I think, are much larger. Isn't that more than a bit unusual?

I don't know of anyone, seriously, who ever went into the bosses office or board room and negotiated themselves a 15 times previous salary increase. Does anyone? It doesn't happen because the bosses have budgets. The corporations have to be fiscally responsible. Or maybe not. Just scratching my head over why they would do this, when obviously, FDR's ego would have dictated that he take the job for far less, for maybe even a few paltry million more than his old salary. And NCL could have saved $20 million or so annually.

What is it with the liberal whiney threads today.

Yes the CEO gets paid more then the guy who washes the dishes, yes thats the way it is supposed to be. Washing dishes is an entry level job, I did it when I was starting out in the restaurant business for 2 years, it builds character and made me the person I am today. Now I own the company and make more then the dishwasher, but by doing that job makes me the person I am today.

Every person in every position deserves to try and get as much money as they can possibly get, but there is a fine line. When a line cook walks in and demands 200,000 a year they probably will not have a job very long.

If these CEO's can get the money awesome, if they don't do their job they will be gone or if fares rise so high to compensate the salaries and customers walk the same will happen so there is a fine line

Well said.

Do people complain about what movie stars make or popular singers with many hits? Do people complain about what athletes in Pro football or Pro Basketball make?

I don't think many do complain, because it is pretty clear that these people have talent in some way that is very rewarding to their employer or to fans.

Sure, some CEOs are probably overpaid, but for a privately held corporation, it is up to shareholders. Customers have the right not to spend their dollars with a company if the product is not competitive or desirable.

What confuses me is how much more the NCL CEO makes over the RCCL CEO. NCL is a much smaller cruise line. You would think the bigger cruise line, the more the CEO makes. I do wish NCL would share some of those huge salaries with employees or at least give everyone a free drink on board :eek:
I thought I read somewhere where the CEO of Carnival (Mickey something) paid himself a year-end dividend of around $90 million in 2012, so it looks like Mr. Del Rio isn't the only one with good negotiation skills. Edited by NLH Arizona

Okay, so Del Rio went from 2.1 million to 31.9 million in a single bound. Doesn't that happen every day in Corporate America?

So NCL felt for some reason that Del Rio would not accept this position for even, say, double his previous salary, nor triple it, nor even quadruple it, which would bring it to the level of both RCI's and Carnival's CEOs at around 9 million each.

No, they felt like they had to make him an offer which increased his salary to an amazing 15 times his previous salary. It's a little mind boggling actually. What in the world is going on at NCL? IMO, just a bone headed decision that doesn't bode well for intelligent corporate oversight at NCL.

Does anyone really believe that he is putting in 15 times the effort, or will make the company 15 times the profit that he would have at a more reasonable, but still highly lucrative, salary? I'm sure the CEO's at Carnival and RCI are taking their pay stubs into the board rooms and saying, "What the h***!!"

Most of his $31MM is tied to stock prices. NCLH has done VERY well under his guidance.

Stephen

Okay seriously...

Yes, he gets paid a lot (and btw, the most likely reason for a big bump in compensation is when he changed positions they bought out some or all of his options in the prior position or they automatically vested options - it's next years numbers that will tell to some extent what he actually will be making).

Yes, you pay for that in fares/dsc/alcholol/shops/excursions. Is this shocking to anyone?

That said.

NCL has eleven ships just in the main line. On average, each has 3000 passengers and sails a 1 week loop - so each ship sees 150,000 passengers a year or 1.65 million cruisers or 11.2 million pax days per year. Assuming his compensation absent stock options (which cost the shareholders money but not the company directly in most cases) is probably closer to $12 million tops, your share of his salary is.... $1 per cruise day. If they cut it in half? $.50 per day. Yeah that's gonna make a difference.

And empties your pocket, a nickel and dime at a time!

I truly don't understand your continual bitching about the so called nickel and dining, if you don't want to eat in the pay restaurants don't, eat in free, don't want to bowl, don't, don't want to play bingo don't.

I have never been forced to pay anything i did not want to pay for on a cruise, nor did i feel I was missing out on anything because I did not want to pay for it.

Very confused, what items have emptied your pocket?