Traveling with a minor child

cakerkid1

I am planning a Norweigen cruise for my granddaughter's 16th birthday (she will turn 16 on the cruise and her mother will be going as well). My daughter is divorced and the ex has stated he will consent to a passport for my granddaughter, however I had heard that if my daughter does not have a notorized letter giving consent for my granddaughter to be on the cruise that she may not be able to leave the ship (we would be traveling to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras) For some stupid reason the ex will not sign a notorized letter consenting even though he will sign a passport consent. Since we have never traveled out of the states with the grandkids in the past we have not run into this problem before. If we don't get a notorized letter from him will this be an issue even though she will have a passport? Any help is appreciated.

I should add they both have joint custody with my daughter having primary custody.

Edited by cakerkid1
added info

I am planning a Norweigen cruise for my granddaughter's 16th birthday (she will turn 16 on the cruise and her mother will be going as well). My daughter is divorced and the ex has stated he will consent to a passport for my granddaughter, however I had heard that if my daughter does not have a notorized letter giving consent for my granddaughter to be on the cruise that she may not be able to leave the ship (we would be traveling to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras) For some stupid reason the ex will not sign a notorized letter consenting even though he will sign a passport consent. Since we have never traveled out of the states with the grandkids in the past we have not run into this problem before. If we don't get a notorized letter from him will this be an issue even though she will have a passport? Any help is appreciated.

I should add they both have joint custody with my daughter having primary custody.

If you do not have this letter they may not even let her board. I always had one when I traveled with my daughter even though my husband and I were and are still together. I had a friend who didn't have one when flying and had to sit at the airport in Houston until fedex delivered it to her. I have heard some agents ask for it some don't. I was never asked but always had it. If he is willing to sign for the passport I don't know why he won't give you the notorized letter. Did you explain to him he is ruining her great vacation by not doing this. If I was 16 and my dad wouldn't sign I would never speak to him again. Hope you get it worked out. I would also call the cruise line and ask what their procedures are. I don't know why parents have to put their kids in a tug of war. So unfair. Good Luck I am praying for you.

Candi

My niece travelled with her mom, non primary custodial parent on our last cruise and had only a birth certificate and her drivers license. We did not have a notarized form. There was no flying to a foreign country though.

No one can tell you for certain if she'll be allowed to board the ship without the letter. It will likely be okay, but you could be one of those who are asked for the letter. It has to do with International Child Abduction Laws and it's to protect children from be taking out of the country without the non-traveling parent's permission. Most people aren't asked for it, but some people are.

My ex-husband always provided me with the letter when my daughter was younger, but if he hadn't I would have given the task of getting it to our daughter. He can say no to me, but he doesn't have a reason to say no to her...girls and their dads. :p All she would have had to say was, "Dad, please?"

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Both my granddaughter and her mother tried to explain the reasoning behind the letter. But he still refuses, stating that the cruise is ok but the time of the cruise is not (she will miss 4 days of school). We believe that he doesn't want her to go period but this is his way of not looking bad in her eyes. We took the grandkids out of school a year and half ago to go to Disneyworld and that wasn't an issue at that time. My granddaughter is a straight A student and received the thumbs up from her school counselor. Its sad because in the end she is the one getting hurt. Since I'm paying for the cruise I'm reluctant to book based on the possibility of the trip being ruined if we can't board the ship before or during the trip. Thanks for the prayers though, I appreciate it.

Both my granddaughter and her mother tried to explain the reasoning behind the letter. But he still refuses, stating that the cruise is ok but the time of the cruise is not (she will miss 4 days of school). We believe that he doesn't want her to go period but this is his way of not looking bad in her eyes. We took the grandkids out of school a year and half ago to go to Disneyworld and that wasn't an issue at that time. My granddaughter is a straight A student and received the thumbs up from her school counselor. Its sad because in the end she is the one getting hurt. Since I'm paying for the cruise I'm reluctant to book based on the possibility of the trip being ruined if we can't board the ship before or during the trip. Thanks for the prayers though, I appreciate it.

It's sad that some parents do that. If it's like my former situation, it's about hurting the former spouse and not the child, but it's the child who suffers most. My ex-husband had physical custody of his three children and we had to get our attorney involved to file papers with the court to be able to take them out of state for vacations and finally when we actually moved out of state. It's sad that it had to be that way, but if we planned a vacation, she would threaten to call the police and claim we were kidnapping the kids. If your daughter has permission from the court to take the kids on vacation it will take the father out of the equation. Since he's refusing, other than that you can got to the port and hope for the best. Not the best situation. And, you'll need a Plan B in you're asked for the letter and they won't allow her to board. Someone will need to be there to get her home, right?

So here is my experience. I have flown to Florida without any kind of letter no problem. I went on a Disney cruise without the letter and no problem. The policy for Disney and Norwegian according to their website is that you only need the letter if the minor is traveling without ANY parent. So if you were taking her without mom there you would need it. I had to get the letter when I drove to Quebec Canada last winter since it is Canadian policy. However we were not asked for it, figures. It makes it quite tough when you have a difficult parent. I plan on calling Norwegian before my cruise to confirm this policy, but you should be OK. Of course you could end up with a nasty gate person who doesn't know the policy, that is my only fear.

So here is my experience. I have flown to Florida without any kind of letter no problem. I went on a Disney cruise without the letter and no problem. The policy for Disney and Norwegian according to their website is that you only need the letter if the minor is traveling without ANY parent. So if you were taking her without mom there you would need it. I had to get the letter when I drove to Quebec Canada last winter since it is Canadian policy. However we were not asked for it, figures. It makes it quite tough when you have a difficult parent. I plan on calling Norwegian before my cruise to confirm this policy, but you should be OK. Of course you could end up with a nasty gate person who doesn't know the policy, that is my only fear.

It's the Mexican government that requires the letter. Anyway, that was the case when I took my daughter a few years ago.

It's the Mexican government that requires the letter. Anyway, that was the case when I took my daughter a few years ago.

But that's only if you are flying into Mexico, no? A closed loop cruise from the US doesn't require this unless I am misreading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We uave has to threaten to ask the courts for permission each and every time we have take my step daughter on a trip. As we contact the lawyer she always gives in but she just likes to hold the cards as long as possible. If needed she can petition the courts for permission to travel internationally.

We are now 1 week away and after talking to our lawyer she has agreed to sign for step daughter 17 but so far keeps procrastinating. Hope daughter can get the letter signed soon we're running out of time.

But that's only if you are flying into Mexico, no? A closed loop cruise from the US doesn't require this unless I am misreading this.

No, needed it for a cruise, too. Of course it could have changed since then. I took her on a Mexican Riviera cruise when she was 15 and she's 21 now. At least that was my understanding from the consulate website and the cruise line's website also said the letter was needed (per the Mexican government).

I don't think you will need it, but, if you have allowed these people to scare you, just book the cruise with carnival. You do not need a letter with them.

Alternative, sneaky yes, but if the child has a passport, there will be no parents listed. Therefore just get one from her mother and any male you know. All it has to say is I am aware, child name, is going on a cruise with her grandmother. End of problem.

Cakerkid, I just did a Google search and found this website. It indicates that as if 2014 Mexico requires only a passport for non-Mexican children. So, that's a change in your favor. :)

I don't believe any of us is trying to scare you as the PP implied. We're simply sharing our experiences. And surely he or she is joking with the remarkably poor advice to get "just anyone" to sign a letter for you. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Why do you think you need a letter. If the mother is going and the child has a passport, they will not ask you for a letter. My daughter in law went on a cruise and her brother went with his son, and they didn't ask for a letter. And if they give you a problem just say the father us deceased. I'm sure they are not going to ask for a death certificate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cakerkid, I just did a Google search and found this website. It indicates that as if 2014 Mexico requires only a passport for non-Mexican children. So, that's a change in your favor. :)

I don't believe any of us is trying to scare you as the PP implied. We're simply sharing our experiences. And surely he or she is joking with the remarkably poor advice to get "just anyone" to sign a letter for you. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the website info, I will look into it a little more. I'm not scared by the remarks just want to be fully prepared. :)

if he is refusing because of the time period, you NEED to be careful. if he thinks you are still going, he can call the police and say you are taking the kids out of the country without his permission. if you have joint custody, they will either not let you on or get you sometime during the cruise. they take those cases very seriously

if he refuses and wants to make trouble, you have an issue here

Why do you think you need a letter. If the mother is going and the child has a passport, they will not ask you for a letter. My daughter in law went on a cruise and her brother went with his son, and they didn't ask for a letter. And if they give you a problem just say the father us deceased. I'm sure they are not going to ask for a death certificate.

I travel with my 2 young son's without their father all the time and never have been asked for a letter.

Why do people think because they've never been asked that no one's ever been asked or will be asked? Everyone's experience isn't the same. And, yes, if they ask for the letter and you don't have it and say the father is deceased they will ask for the death certificate. Or if you say you have sole custody they'll ask to see the paperwork. It's rare that people are asked, but look through the boards and you'll see that it does happen. Only a small percentage of cruisers are part of this form so of the 95+% of them who aren't some of them have been asked for letters, too.

I just cruised with my two kids and mother in law. My husband couldn't make it this time. We all share the last name (my mother in law a different last name). All we had were passports. Just reporting it with my situation there were no issues or concerns.

Do your grandaughter have a different last name then her mother?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little white lie about the father being deceased is our plan of action next week (if asked) because GF's ex is being a pain

I just cruised with my two kids and mother in law. My husband couldn't make it this time. We all share the last name (my mother in law a different last name). All we had were passports. Just reporting it with my situation there were no issues or concerns.

Do your grandaughter have a different last name then her mother?

Ohhh and my other experiences. I (mom) have traveled with my daughter only to Poland and England No issues

My husband traveled to Peru with our daughter and no issues

We didn't have a letter any of those times.