Cruising With 2-Year-Old & 9-Month-Old... Am I Crazy??? Advice Welcome!

Jennnfusion

In October, we'll be driving 8 hours to Boston and taking the Norwegian Dawn cruise to Bermuda. I've gone cruising before, but never with kids. Luckily, we'll have a huge group of 20 family members going along with us to perhaps lighten the load.

My 2-year-old is a highly structured creature of habit, a real Mama's girl... Mercurial, active, intelligent, communicative. My baby boy will be 9 months old at the time of sailing who is more chill and go-with-the-flow.

I guess what I'm wondering is...

1. Do you have any survival tips for the road trip and the cruise?

2. What essentials did you pack when traveling with kids?

3. Was there anything you wish you hadn't bothered packing?

4. How bad is it in a tiny windowless stateroom? Should we spring for the balcony upgrade for sanity's sake?

I am fine in an inside room with my husband, but with a kid who needs to nap (DS was 10 months on his first cruise and is now 2 and going to Bermuda next month) the balcony is really worth it to me!! If your kids will nap in a stroller it may not matter to you, but mine definitely will not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My daughter was 21 months when we cruised the first time and it was really a great experience! I would definitely spring for the balcony if you can. When your kids are napping, you have a place to go and enjoy the scenery or read. Bring an umbrella stroller--a regular stroller is pretty unwieldy on a ship. Some kids will sleep in the stroller which makes you more mobile.

Bring a portable DVD player or other means to play movies and cartoons and such for those times your girl needs entertaining so you can get ready for dinner or whatever. I made sure I brought along her favorite toys so she had familiar things around here.

We used a crib provided by the cruise line and it felt like it was the first crib ever made! :rolleyes: I have no idea what they provide now (this was 19 years ago for us!) but I'd check into it. If I'd known what we were going to get, I would have brought along the Pack and Play.

As a PP suggested, go to the family board and you'll find lots of advice there!

Have fun!

I believe those inside rooms have 2 twin beds, with a trundle that pops up in between, and a pullman, which I wouldn't put a 2 year old in. Not sure if there is room for a pack and play when the trundle in there.

Also keep in mind that there are no pools for non-potty trained kids, and the clubs start at age 3.

I'd definitely get a balcony - sounds too much like camping with all 4 of you essentially in one bed.

There are other cruise lines that have accommodations such as babysitting in the nursery for babies and toddlers that are far better than the NCL Dawn (RCCL and Disney come to mind.) At minimum, get a balcony cabin so you won't be stuck being silent for hours on end while the kiddos nap and after their bedtime. If there is any way you and perhaps some other family members can afford it, it would be really great if you all would get a 2 bedroom Family Suite - it has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a separate living room and dining room and sleeps up to 6. This would be awesome for your situation as you could put the kids to bed in the living room and then watch TV in the MBR while the other 2 adults shared the second bedroom with its own tv and bathroom. Sometimes, these suites can be nearly as inexpensive as a balcony if you have 6 sharing.

In October, we'll be driving 8 hours to Boston and taking the Norwegian Dawn cruise to Bermuda. I've gone cruising before, but never with kids. Luckily, we'll have a huge group of 20 family members going along with us to perhaps lighten the load.

My 2-year-old is a highly structured creature of habit, a real Mama's girl... Mercurial, active, intelligent, communicative. My baby boy will be 9 months old at the time of sailing who is more chill and go-with-the-flow.

I guess what I'm wondering is...

1. Do you have any survival tips for the road trip and the cruise?

2. What essentials did you pack when traveling with kids?

3. Was there anything you wish you hadn't bothered packing?

4. How bad is it in a tiny windowless stateroom? Should we spring for the balcony upgrade for sanity's sake?

Hi, It think our granddaughter was just about 2 for her first cruise and grandson was on the way. Granddaughter is now 10 and cruising pro. It is great that you have a large group but be sure group members are willing to help out. I would get a balcony. I am a balcony snob but it will be nice is someone is napping... you get sit outside and enjoy. Grandson's first cruise he was about 18 months....and hyper. The worry was that toys would fly off the balcony but the rule was set no toys outside....no balcony unless and adult was there. The sliders also have child proof looks up high so you can lock the slider and not have to worry. While there is no kids program for 2 years olds -- they do have a play room that you can use. If someone is willing if you can get a connecting room that would be helpful. We will watch the kids from the comfort of our room. It also doubles your space for the kids. I agree that a portable DVD is a must have. While there are cartoons and movies on the TV the selection is limited. The first cruise my son & wife had a stroller but really did not use it on the ship since you will be in Bermuda for 3 days it will come in handy. The nice thing about cruises is they can be as structured or as loose as needed. When the traveling with my son and family...someone is always going back to the room to rest with one of the kids. Being able to run on the promenade deck when it is not busy is also great for the kids. The deserts in the buffet are also great distractions. The crew members usually pay extra attention to the little guys -- lots of them have babies at home that they are missing. I do not have any travel tips...we live 3 hours from NY/NJ ports and about 2 from Boston. I would suggest since your girl so structured that you find some videos of the ship and the things she will see on the ship so she is familiar with them and feel like she has some control. Prepare her for possibly a long wait at check in...if the lines are long a fully charged cell phone with videos will be helpful or a small hand held game. A small back pack for the 2 year so she can bring a favorite toy, snacks or coloring stuff would help also. Again a structure issue and she will feel in control. Mostly though -- just enjoy the time with them. Oh, in Bermuda there is a beach at the dockyard that is walkable -- it is a pay beach and I have heard mixed reviews -- but it may be a good alternative if you do not want to trek the kids across the island. There also is a dolphin encounter and mini golf there. You could do one day adult "stuff" with the promise of fun the next day for your daughter.