Trip Report-April 8 Zuiderdam Partial Panama Canal

TexasHikers

Thank you for your review. I'm glad your cabin problem was taken care of efficiently and to your liking. HAL just showed what good customer service is aboard their ships. We had done the Panama Canal with HAL years ago on the Amsterdam and your review makes us want to schedule another transit soon. Thanks!

Could the OP please tell me which were the formal nights on your cruise? I believe I'm on the same itinerary this winter. Thanks!

Did the Panama Canal Sunfarer Cruise in March. You can expect the 2 Gala nights on the 1st and forelast sea days.

Edited by HarR

Don't recall (only enjoyed a regular Pinnacle). Unlike the gala nights I don't know if there is any pattern they follow for Le Cirque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just took this picture an hour ago in Rotterdam. Not sure if those scratches on the hull are still Panama Canal "souvenirs ". But we already knew the ship desperately needs some paint. efce362b4dbcf5e62958d4ae9845a2cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HollDoll, I was on this cruise with TexasHikers. There was only one Le Cirque dinner scheduled and it was the night that we left Costa Rica. All aboard was 3:30 and according to the "On Location" for that day it was 5:30 to 9:30. They initially posted for reservations on the day we were at Half Moon Cay which was the first full day of the cruise. We didn't go so I can't answer food questions.

HarR, that was a "souvenir" from the Panama Canal on this voyage as it was not there when we were in Curacao. Agree with your assessment of the "ship desperately needs paint". From reading previous posts I understand there was a problem during it's drydock. There were signs of a "tired ship" throughout the entire ship. A lot of rust. A lot of maintenance going on everywhere. Every port day the crew was busy with chipping hammers working on the boat davits. Made having a balcony sort of useless unless you wanted to listen to the constant chipping and banging. On most days there was a portion of the Promenade closed as well. Just a sad sight to see all around quite frankly.

Thank you for your great review.

We did this exact cruise a year ago and had a great time on the Zuiderdam. While the ship is aging a bit, it was not bad, plus the crew was absolutely fantastic - the best on HAL in my opinion.

Thank you for your great review.

We did this exact cruise a year ago and had a great time on the Zuiderdam. While the ship is aging a bit, it was not bad, plus the crew was absolutely fantastic - the best on HAL in my opinion.

I was on the OP's cruise and agree with comments about the rust and work going on almost every time we were on the Lower Promenade Deck.

But the front desk staff and crew were wonderful to us, and that's what brings me back to HAL.

HarR, that was a "souvenir" from the Panama Canal on this voyage as it was not there when we were in Curacao. Agree with your assessment of the "ship desperately needs paint". From reading previous posts I understand there was a problem during it's drydock. There were signs of a "tired ship" throughout the entire ship. A lot of rust. A lot of maintenance going on everywhere. Every port day the crew was busy with chipping hammers working on the boat davits. Made having a balcony sort of useless unless you wanted to listen to the constant chipping and banging. On most days there was a portion of the Promenade closed as well. Just a sad sight to see all around quite frankly.

We just got off the Zuiderdam, in Rotterdam on may 3rd. Yes there is a lot of painting going on, we never experienced any closures of the promenade deck during our morning walks. We were on deck 7 ( aft) and were able to enjoy the balcony without any noice from hammering or such. Only one day, when they were working on the sliding roof of the Lido pool, it stopped us from sitting on the Lido deck.

Apart from that: wonderful cruise, great staff, great food and inside a great looking ship !

We just got off the Zuiderdam, in Rotterdam on may 3rd. Yes there is a lot of painting going on, we never experienced any closures of the promenade deck during our morning walks. We were on deck 7 ( aft) and were able to enjoy the balcony without any noice from hammering or such. Only one day, when they were working on the sliding roof of the Lido pool, it stopped us from sitting on the Lido deck.

Apart from that: wonderful cruise, great staff, great food and inside a great looking ship !

We walked the promenade deck twice a day for 17 days were on your cruise and got off in Copenhagen agree inside everything perfect,wonderful cruise,staff fantastic, everything good.We only had promenade deck closed once but I think it should have been closed most of the time it was being hosed continuously to clean paint chips,pieces of rusted metal and sawdust.One day they were welding and the sparks were flying though they did have a watcher to call stop to the workers when passenger close by.I went in felt I was preventing there work.We had a balcony on 7 and heard no noise,we felt sorry for people that had no balcony, as no quiet place to sit with clean air.

• 1 month later...

We did an 11 day partial Canal on the Zuiderdam about 2 years ago and loved it. Best part (after the Canal) was the fantastic Zuiderdam crew and staff.

Next time we will do a full transit, but as stated these are generally at least 14-15 days.

Thank you TexasHikers for your review.. DH & I are doing the 11 day partial canal cruise on the Zuiderdam in October.. We'll be traveling with another couple who have only been on HAL once before with us.. We've known them for many many years..They were at our wedding & we were at theirs..

Will be celebrating our 40th anniversary (a bit late) on this cruise..We've done the canal before, but they haven't & it will be such fun for us to see everything through their eyes..

I've printed up your review to give them an idea what the cruise is all about..

Glad to hear that the Front Desk could change your cabin..

Thanks again for your great review!:D:D

Anybody know if there is a dry dock schedule for Zuiderdam anytime soon, considering these comments. I hate to sail a rusty ship with construction going on!

Hello , I spoke to Shipboard Services last week and learned she isn't scheduled until 2017.

Hello , I spoke to Shipboard Services last week and learned she isn't scheduled until 2017.

Good Morning ... I need to amend my reply from last night:

When I called Shipboard Services it was to learn about the dry dock scheduled to update the bathrooms and bedrooms in the suites. That isn't scheduled until next year.

However, the Zuiderdam did undergo changes last year. They added 25 rooms to the Observation Deck and Cabana Retreats on Deck 11.

Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by clogaltocruise