89 days and specialty restaurants booking up!

lmintzer

I logged on today to try to reserve my 3 "free" nights at specialty restaurnts. I am reserving tables for 6, which may in itself create challenges, but I know that some even larger extended families and groups of friends eat together on cruises.

At any rate, I was able to schedule Cagney's for 6:00 p.m. on night 1 (hopefully no one will be feeling sea sick then)--otherwise, it seems like a great night for a nice meal. (Then, my tween and teen can check out their clubs at 8). I was also able to schedule Le Bistro for the Glacier Bay at sea day (also for 6:00 p.m.). 5:30 was booked, which would have been ideal so my kids could go to clubs at 7 if they like them, but that's okay.

There's where my luck ended. I could not find any availability other than 9:00 p.m. for Moderno or Teppanyaki for the other evenings we might have free (At sea day 2, or Ketchikan).

I called NCL, and the agent I spoke with gave me a helpful tip: she said that only 30% of the restaurants' availability are opened up before the cruise. As soon as we board, the other 70% is made available, and it is possible to book. Probably, one needs to act quickly, but at least we won't have to throw away our 3rd free meal. My kids adore Italian, so we could always do that--even if it's not as good as the others. We might need a break from red meat anyway, lol.

I am glad that we have Le Bistro and Cagney's reserved, though, as most reviews I have read speak highly of these two restaurants.

Just thought I'd share my experience and the info. that not all is lost if one cannot get a reservation of choice beforehand.

Yes. Also, when waiting to board in the cruise terminal, try walking over to the windows closest to the ship and seeing if you can pick up the ship's wifi. If you can, then you can book the restaurants using iconcierge and have it all taken before of before you even get on board! Did this in March and it worked slick.

I had no problem booking Teppanyaki for 4 people on our upcoming Spirit cruise, keep checking to see if any other time slots open up. We didn't make our reservations until the 75 day mark.

Edited by Bocadude85

I logged on today to try to reserve my 3 "free" nights at specialty restaurnts. I am reserving tables for 6, which may in itself create challenges, but I know that some even larger extended families and groups of friends eat together on cruises.

At any rate, I was able to schedule Cagney's for 6:00 p.m. on night 1 (hopefully no one will be feeling sea sick then)--otherwise, it seems like a great night for a nice meal. (Then, my tween and teen can check out their clubs at 8). I was also able to schedule Le Bistro for the Glacier Bay at sea day (also for 6:00 p.m.). 5:30 was booked, which would have been ideal so my kids could go to clubs at 7 if they like them, but that's okay.

There's where my luck ended. I could not find any availability other than 9:00 p.m. for Moderno or Teppanyaki for the other evenings we might have free (At sea day 2, or Ketchikan).

I called NCL, and the agent I spoke with gave me a helpful tip: she said that only 30% of the restaurants' availability are opened up before the cruise. As soon as we board, the other 70% is made available, and it is possible to book. Probably, one needs to act quickly, but at least we won't have to throw away our 3rd free meal. My kids adore Italian, so we could always do that--even if it's not as good as the others. We might need a break from red meat anyway, lol.

I am glad that we have Le Bistro and Cagney's reserved, though, as most reviews I have read speak highly of these two restaurants.

Just thought I'd share my experience and the info. that not all is lost if one cannot get a reservation of choice beforehand.

Your experience is consistent with what many of us have reported as well. When I sailed on the Epic last month, I wasn't able to get most of the times I wanted before boarding. You don't need to worry that you'll have to "throw away" one of your free meals. Just book when you get on board. You may not be able to get the exact times you'd like, but you should be able to get in. I was even able to move things around later in the cruise when someone from my roll call invited me to dine in the Haven restaurant on an evening I had a specialty booked.

As someone else said, the only restaurant that may be a concern is Teppanyaki because of the limited seating. And, that's one your kids would probably enjoy. As others said, check back periodically as things may open up.

Thank you for the suggestions. It is good to know that we will get in somewhere. I really wanted to try Le Bristo and Cagney's, so I am glad we have those reserved. My kids would love either Teppanyaki or Moderno. There are still openings--just not for 6.

It's good to know I can move things around later as well--hard to predict what we'll want to be doing on a cruise when when we've never cruised before!

I guess I just have to be careful and watch the 24 hour window and make sure I cancel or move anything we change our minds about so we aren't charged.

Teppayaki had no tables for 6 available even yesterday (at 90 days). Guess that one is pretty tough since it's a small restaurant.
Did you try reserving 4 on one reservation and making another for 2? Then when you arrive, let them know you are all together.

Update: I called NCL with my reservation and my dad's. I was able to book 4 people under my reservation and 2 under my dad's for 6:00 p.m. on the 25th (one of our "at sea" days). The agent linked the reservations but still warned us to show up together so that we're all seated together. It sounds like it will work out!

When on board, I could always try to change to a single reservation, but I doubt it will be necessary (unless we want to change our dining date or time).

Thanks again! This board is great!

Update: I called NCL with my reservation and my dad's. I was able to book 4 people under my reservation and 2 under my dad's for 6:00 p.m. on the 25th (one of our "at sea" days). The agent linked the reservations but still warned us to show up together so that we're all seated together. It sounds like it will work out!

When on board, I could always try to change to a single reservation, but I doubt it will be necessary (unless we want to change our dining date or time).

Personally, I would change it to one reservation once on board just in case. You would want them to have a four-top and then the two-top several tables away. :D

No need to change to one reservation. On my last cruise, there 7 of us (4 different reservations) and when we showed up, we asked to be seated together. Never an issue.

Glad everything worked out for you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thought she said they were doing La Cucina. Missed it was Teppanyaki. They could still end up at different tables though if it isn't done right, so I'd still change it once on board.
as long as the first person there tells the hostess that they want to sit together, they will be fine.

It sounds like, in an ideal world, we'd get the reservations consolidated into one. I have figured out you cannot delete a reservation you make via NCL.com--how easy is it to change on the computers on board (where you insert your cards)? I would hate to have to spend my first day on board standing in long lines (when I already have to stop and check my kids into the clubs and probably attend to a few others details that include standing and waiting).

I am probably worrying over nothing--so many details involved in this cruising--who knew?

Teppanyaki restaurant doesn't have small tables.

I believe the Teppanyaki has two square counters around the two chefs entertaining work area.

Each of the counters accommodates 10 for a total at one reservation of 20 i.e.

NCL Star and Dawn. Larger Epic -Away class ships may have more .

Each reservation appears to allot 1 and half hours for serving with perhaps

3 reservation seating/servings each night.

Typical of the Specialty Restaurants the service is not rushed and to be

entertaining and enjoyed at leisure.

It sounds like, in an ideal world, we'd get the reservations consolidated into one. I have figured out you cannot delete a reservation you make via NCL.com--how easy is it to change on the computers on board (where you insert your cards)? I would hate to have to spend my first day on board standing in long lines (when I already have to stop and check my kids into the clubs and probably attend to a few others details that include standing and waiting).

I am probably worrying over nothing--so many details involved in this cruising--who knew?

I'd never stand in the line for that. I'd pick up the phone in my cabin and hit the reservations button. It takes 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had the same issue for our upcoming Breakaway cruise. We hate to dine late!

I took what was available for the days we wanted specialty dining but hope to change these times.

Is changing times done easily once on board? Is it 24 hrs notice to change required?

Thanks in advance

I would hate to have to spend my first day on board standing in long lines
If the reservation in question is not for the first or second night, you don't necessarily have to deal with it on the first day. But like LgPz said, you can pick up the phone and call the dining line. Or stop by any specialty restaurant podium (if you happen to be walking by and there is a host/hostess standing there not helping other guests) and they will take care of it in no time at all.