New and need help on ships

louallard

Hi Holland America Cruisers

We have sailed extensively on Clebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, NCL....but now it is time for a change. After reading these posts we want to try Holland America...just not sure which ship.

We like the Radiance Class on RCCL, and the Mercury on Celebrity,

Please explain the difference in the ships of Holland America

Zuiderdam, Westerdam style to the Veendam, Volendam...so many that I am

confused.

Does anyone have a favorite???

Thanks

Lou

I have been on the old NCL Crown and the old Pacific Prencess and I can compare them to the HAL Zaandam and for my money I like the Zaandam..For me it is a classyer ship.When you look at elbow room TA's use a calculation of #pax / total tonage to get the elbow room number and I could be wrong but I think you will find that most HAL ship have a number of >40 most of the other lines are <40. And for me I do not like to be crowded. I am also some one who does not like the Free styke crusing. I like the main dinning room I like the formal nights..I am starting to ramble so before the rest of my brain falls out on this post let me say I hope this helps you:)

Check this link it is DW's review of the Zaandam

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143147&highlight=LucyT1207

I find Holland America ships to be beautiful and elegant without being stuffy. There is not the "chrome and neon" look of many other ships. Their cabins are typically larger than industry average, and as Mike mentioned their passenger/space ratios are favorable. You will find fine artwork and fresh flowers throughout HAL ships. And their Indonesian and Phillippino crews are eager to provide the very best service experience they can.

As to the different ships, they share much in common. The look, feel, general layout. Once you're on one, you're not totally lost on a different one. Vista ships (Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and the soon-to-sail Noordam) are the largest and have some features (like a dedicated disco) that the other ships don't have.

I think you will be pleased with what HAL has to offer. Just choose where you want to go, and when, and let that determine which ship you sail.

Good luck, and happy cruising!

The Vista class ships (Zuider, Ooster, Noor and Wester Dams) are probably similar to what you have cruised previously.

We just did a repo cruise on Zaandam (review's almost done!), and that is now our favorite...smaller, more intimate.

Obviously much depends on what you like to do when you cruise. We like a lot of eating, a bit of drinking, some relaxing and spa stuff and I like to gamble a bit.

We love HAL because the food is excellent and the service is top notch. The ships are beautiful and classy, cabins are roomy and comfortable.

Where HAL comes up short is entertainment...you might get an occasional

good comic or juggler that flies in, but the production stuff is just pathetic.

So if you are into the showroom stuff HAL might not compare so well with your previous trips.

Given your previous experiences, I'd say a HAL cruise is in order for comparison's sake if no other. And I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions upon return.

Welcome to HAL, Lou. I don't know anything about the ships you mentioned, but I can describe HAL's ships and you can do the math. K?

Prinsendam---one of a kind to HAL, and their smallest ship. She's called the "Elegant Explorer". Something around 38,000 tons and 800 passengers.

S-class ships: Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam. These are about 50-55,000 ton range and hold about 1266 passengers. They are a nice size to get around and to meet people over and over again.

R-class ships: Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam. Larger than the S-class, but basicly the same deck plan. There is a mid-ship staircase/elevator bank that makes it easier to get from here to there without backtracking. They hold about 1400 passengers and go about 65,000 tons.

Vista-class ships: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, (and soon) Noordam. These are the largest of the HAL ships and go about (?)80,000 tons and hold something like 1800 passengers.

HAL's biggest strength is her staff/crew. People will greet you with a smile and a cheery "hello" as you pass---even if they don't know you. Your lounge steward will remember your name, cabin number and drink preference after one visit.

There are fresh flowers everywhere (including the public rest rooms!) and lovely artwork. There is a quiet, refined atmosphere.

I prefer the S-class ships, with the R-class as close runner-up. I would love to sail the Prinsendam, but don't want to sail Vista as they are too large for my taste. Other than that, my favorite ship is the one I'm on---or going to next!

Hope this helps.

I have sailed the Zuiderdam, a Vista Style ship along with HAL's R and S Class ships as well. I have to agree with Ruthc here, I enjoy the R and S class ships most. The Zuiderdam I also enjoyed, but for different reasons.

My two most favorite HAL ships would be the Amsterdam and Volendam. The size of this style ship is elegant, classy and a nice open feeling. The service on HAL has always been wonderful and one of the main reasons I return to HAL. I also like the fact that this style ship has self-service laundry facilities, which on a 10-day cruise or longer, does come in handy for me. The Vista style ships do not have self-service laundries onboard, but I do hear there are some good laundry deals onboard if you need things washed.

The Vista Style ships, while larger than the others in HAL's fleet, are still very nice. Some of the elegance, at least on the Zuiderdam, I felt was lacking. The service in the dining room was slow, we felt and others here who have posted also. We found our dining room stewards, while very polite, were way over worked, this is where HAL needs to add some additional wait staff help. We had a wonderful time on the Zuiderdam and I wouldn't hesitate to book her again for a 7-day cruise. Anything longer than 7-days, I would book the R or S class ships on HAL.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the HAL boards.

Archived