Royal IQ texting still available?

margob

I have been reading a lot about the new Voom internet packages and am considering them. I kind of like being disconnected from the world on the cruise though, and the only thing I'd like the internet for is to communicate with my partner on the ship.

I'm sailing on the Anthem in September which has the Royal IQ app. It is supposed to give you texting capabilities onboard for a small fee, something like $10 for the entire cruise.

Does anyone know if this is still available, even after the implementation of Voom?

Margo

I have been reading a lot about the new Voom internet packages and am considering them. I kind of like being disconnected from the world on the cruise though, and the only thing I'd like the internet for is to communicate with my partner on the ship.

I'm sailing on the Anthem in September which has the Royal IQ app. It is supposed to give you texting capabilities onboard for a small fee, something like $10 for the entire cruise.

Does anyone know if this is still available, even after the implementation of Voom?

Margo

Yes, still available according to recent reports. Cost is $7.95 per cruise per device.

Is this only available on the Quantum class ships? Does anyone know if there is a plan to expand this to other classes? Oasis? Freedom? etc.

So far Quantum class only. However, I believe they are going to have it on Harmony too. Have not heard about other ships.

Edited by clarea

Thank you, that's great! No need for an internet package then. :)

Perhaps not, I was excited to read about this as well, but when I read the reviews about how the app worked on board, the comments were not very positive. I'm hoping to hear from users that actually got a chance to use the app for texting on board.

I was able to install the app on my cheap Samsung phone, but not my Samsung Galaxy Tab A Tablet. It said that my tablet was not compatible :confused:

This would immensely useful for our cruise on Anthem with our group of 8 families.

dp

OK... I figured out why it won't work with my tablet. As far as I can tell, the texting/calling feature of the RoyalIQ App uses Data/Cell Phone technology and not Wifi. So that eliminates our plans. I have a bunch of old Android cell phones with no Sim cards that we wanted to pass out to the kids in our group that did not already have a phone, and use them with the app to communicate. This would have been way cheaper than to get an internet plan for each device. Plus, those cell phones in airplane mode and just Wifi last forever on a single charge if just used for wifi texting.

Oh well...:(

dp

• 3 months later...

Hi dpostman,

Royal iQ does use the ship's WiFi and does not use the device's cell/data radio. Royal iQ is not compatible with Android Tablets. It's only compatible with Android Phones.

Download the app on all of your Android phones and as long as the Android OS is still supported (check the app details in the Google Play store), then Royal iQ will work for your entire family.

No internet package required!

Hi dpostman,

Royal iQ does use the ship's WiFi and does not use the device's cell/data radio. Royal iQ is not compatible with Android Tablets. It's only compatible with Android Phones.

Download the app on all of your Android phones and as long as the Android OS is still supported (check the app details in the Google Play store), then Royal iQ will work for your entire family.

No internet package required!

That's great news. I do have the Voom package already pre-booked for our cruise next March, but If I get reports that confirm the reliability of the Texting feature on Royal IQ, I'll just cancel the 4 device Voom plan I booked. I've read some reviews that were not very positive about the texting feature so I'm hoping that this will improve soon.

dp

We used the app onboard the Harmony a few weeks ago. I activated it on my phone and my daughter's phone just so that we could stay in touch, decide where to meet etc. We did not have the internet package and I found the app to be perfect for our desired use.

I did have some "issues" with the app freezing on my iPhone 6; not sure what caused that. Overall, I found it useful to stay in contact with a group member in another cabin. Of course, you do have to keep your phone with you...... :(

We used the app onboard the Harmony a few weeks ago. I activated it on my phone and my daughter's phone just so that we could stay in touch, decide where to meet etc. We did not have the internet package and I found the app to be perfect for our desired use.

I did have some "issues" with the app freezing on my iPhone 6; not sure what caused that. Overall, I found it useful to stay in contact with a group member in another cabin. Of course, you do have to keep your phone with you...... :(

Thanks for your input.

Keeping my phone with me is not too much of a problem, at least in airplane mode, and with no access to internet, my FB or messenger won't be dinging. I'll be carrying it for use as a camera anyway. Glad to here the app worked out. Hoping to here from other cruisers that had a positive experience with app.

dp

So if you get the Royal IQ app the phone goes on airplane mode for the cruise and the texting works between anyone that has the app while on the cruise?

Yes, whoever has the app and has paid the $7.95 texting fee.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone posted they used this on The Harmony recently... Where can I find which ships this is available on? Sailing the Oasis on Saturday, and would love this option...

Thanks!

Annette~

So far, RoyalIQ is only available on Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, and Harmony.