Table tennis on Zuiderdam?

clivep

After extensive research, it appears that there's two table tennis tables on Zuiderdam but can anyone please tell me precisely where they are?

I've seen a couple of photos but they are not consistent as to the location. My best guess would be on the Lido deck in the corner near the the Lido bar or maybe at the other end of the pool area in a corner near the hydro pool.

We're not that good players but take the game seriously (it's the only exercise we get on board:)) and take our own bats, shoes and track suits with us.

Our last cruise was on the NCL Epic and the tables were in a terrible position so we didn't play at all.

One picture of the tables on Zuiderdam that I've seen shows a table with it's side right up against a wall. That would be totally impractical for us to play on.

I've just booked a 24 night b2b on Zuiderdam and don't want to waste our limited flight baggage allowance on the equipment if it's not going to get used.

It would be helpful if someone could better describe the location of the tables such that I can make a better informed decision on my packing.

Edited by clivep

They also have wiffle ball equipment in the netted upper court area - or did on our last Amsterdam cruise. Yes, there are always enthusiastic ping pong players on all the HAL cruises we have taken.

Plus a large piece chess board usually in the same area as the ping pong tables. Plus shuffleboard/coits. Only think missing is the skeet-shooting that used to be part of old time cruising.

All HAL ships has them. They are usually Lido pool area, port side forward, IIRC.

Correct - though they may be pointed in different directions. Aft to forward or port to starboard.

clivep - They do supply paddles and balls - unless you prefer your own equipment.

I assure you there are table tennis tables. We had a cabin directly below and would not do that again.

Folks were fairly polite to not play after around 11 at night. However......so much for an afternoon nap!

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.

I think this time we'll save on our baggage allowances and use the ship's equipment if we get the urge for a game. On some ships they've had decent foam bats but on others they've been the cheapest pimpled ones with no foam.

Interesting (or not) fact - a well maintainted good table tennis bat has a tacky surface. If you put a ball on the table and press the bat down on it then when you lift the bat the ball will stay attached to the bottom for a couple of seconds before dropping off.

We converted our drawing room into a table tennis room some years ago and have a vigorous 2 hour session once or twice a week.

Taking your own equipment can have other advantages as we found on a MSC (Moneygrabbing Shipping Company as I nicknamed them) ship 8 years ago... the tables were on the lido deck but you had to book the bats out with your room card all the way down at the guest services desk. You also had to buy the balls from a machine near the lido bar:eek:.