Advice on French Riviera excursion May 29 from Antibes (Oceania Riviera)

globob26

My husband and I are seeking advice on a day tour of the French Riviera when the Oceania Riviera takes us to Antibes on Sunday May 29, 2016. We reserved through Viator.com a full day to discover the French Riviera from Antibes, but it was later canceled for unavailability of a driver. We are interested in the area from Cannes to Nice and/or Monte Carlo. Any suggestions for other tours, tour guides or companies? Does anyone else who has a similar excursion booked need additional passengers to share the cost? We prefer a private car or minivan-type of vehicle. We are in our 60's; from Texas; this is our third cruise, our first time with Oceania, and our first time to visit France.

My husband and I are seeking advice on a day tour of the French Riviera when the Oceania Riviera takes us to Antibes on Sunday May 29, 2016. We reserved through Viator.com a full day to discover the French Riviera from Antibes, but it was later canceled for unavailability of a driver. We are interested in the area from Cannes to Nice and/or Monte Carlo. Any suggestions for other tours, tour guides or companies? Does anyone else who has a similar excursion booked need additional passengers to share the cost? We prefer a private car or minivan-type of vehicle. We are in our 60's; from Texas; this is our third cruise, our first time with Oceania, and our first time to visit France.

I see that this is your very first post. Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

Seeing as you are so new, you may be unaware of the Roll Call Board, which is a special place within Cruise Critic where passengers who are already booked on a particular voyage are encouraged to network and make plans with one another, just as you are suggesting.

In order to make that process easier, the Roll Calls are categorized first by Cruise ship and then by sailing date.

The Roll Call Board for the Riviera may be found at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=714

Simply scroll down until you see your sailing date, and then plan away~

Enjoy every minute!!!

Did you post your question about sharing tours at your Roll Call? That's your best place. People here may know about guides or agencies to recommend, but won't know about possible spots on tours unless they are also on the same cruise ...

Sylvia de Christo is the very best. She books way in advance, cross your fingers she is available.

We were supposed to anchor at Antibes a couple years ago, the port was canceled and we were taken to Monte Carlo instead.

We were on the Riviera in April 2015 and had an excellent tour with Guy of Riviera Together Tours. (We were a group of four.) You can e-mail him at: contact@rivieratogethertour.com. Our ship docked at Monte Carlo; we spent some time there and then went to Nice, Eze and St. Paul de Vence. There are quite a few reviews on TripAdvisor.

Enjoy your cruise!

May 29 is the Monaco Grand Prix. I suspect this is why your tour was cancelled.

The roads and all forms of transport will be very busy that day.

Please be careful if you venture far afield because you may not make it back in time.

There is plenty to see and do in Antibes/Juan les Pins itself, if you must take a tour then I suggest you go towards Cannes rather than Nice.

However, if you are docked until late at Antibes you could take the train into Monaco and savour the GP atmosphere!

Good catch on the Grand Prix...

Given that fact, it might be best to stick with Antibes, go to Cannes or go up to St. Paul de Vence.

If you have difficulty finding a guide at this late date, Cannes and Antibes are a very easy DIY, with a short train or bus ride between the two (bus is only 2 euro). St. Paul de Vence could be done with a train/bus combo - but it might be difficult for someone on a first visit to France.

Antibes is my favorite town on the French Riviera...it's a great size for a port day and would make a lovely day if you want to keep it simple. The town is pretty - but there is an authenticity about it - people really live and work there. There is a farmer's market until about 12 noon and then a crafts/bric a brac market later. The Picasso museum is also pleasant.

This might help give you ides for things to do if you want to stay in Antibes:

http://gofrance.about.com/od/provence/ss/Top-6-Things-To-Do-In-Antibes.htm#showall