20% Drink Special - My math isn't working?

I posted this on another thread about the 20% off:

So I got excited to see that the 20% off beverage packages showed up for my December cruise. However, quickly became disappointed to learn that this is more of a bait & switch. Went to my planner to order and total price came up at $388.22 Baffled I looked at the package prices on their regular flyer that lists the packages and Premium was $49 so I added in the 18% grats and got 57.82 x 7 = 404.74 less 20% and I got 323.79 so I called and was told that prices are being priced out at the time of year you are cruising and for this cruise premium package is $47 which already includes the 20% off plus 18% grats for a total of $388.22. If ordered on board the price will be 56.40 plus 18% grats for a total of 465.86. That's just crazy. The rep also said that beverage packages for summer sailing will be priced even higher. I am so disappointed in what RC has been doing lately

I posted this on another thread about the 20% off:

So I got excited to see that the 20% off beverage packages showed up for my December cruise. However, quickly became disappointed to learn that this is more of a bait & switch. Went to my planner to order and total price came up at $388.22 Baffled I looked at the package prices on their regular flyer that lists the packages and Premium was $49 so I added in the 18% grats and got 57.82 x 7 = 404.74 less 20% and I got 323.79 so I called and was told that prices are being priced out at the time of year you are cruising and for this cruise premium package is $47 which already includes the 20% off plus 18% grats for a total of $388.22. If ordered on board the price will be 56.40 plus 18% grats for a total of 465.86. That's just crazy. The rep also said that beverage packages for summer sailing will be priced even higher. I am so disappointed in what RC has been doing lately

There appears to be multiple scenarios going around at the present and it is not consistent even with people who have the 20% off banner in their cruise planner.

There appears to be multiple scenarios going around at the present and it is not consistent even with people who have the 20% off banner in their cruise planner.

I just got off the phone with Royal (I was making a final payment), and so I took the opportunity to ask again about the "fake" 20% off Sale. The rep told me this time that he didn't know why it was showing the 20% off Sale on my July 2017 Liberty cruise, as the only 20% off sales they were currently running were for 9+ night cruises and select May 2017 cruises (basically saying it was a mistake).

This is now the 3rd completely different answer I've been given. Unacceptable.

Edited by OSULabRat

Similarly to the Member above I posted this on another thread:-

Am going on the Navigator of the Seas in June for 10 days from Southampton and have been debating for months as to whether the Premium Drinks Package was good value or not? Logged on today to the Cruise Planner on RCL to find that they had a 20% off deal so I thought okay lets go for it. When I tried to add it to my booking it was exactly the same price as when we booked the Cruise in February which was pre any offers? I rang RCL to be told that the small print states that prices are subject to fluctuation(?) and when I queried this as it would make the premium package more expensive than the Ultimate package I was told that actually what it meant was that we'd get 20% more for our money on board!! I appreciate that these Customer Service guys are only reading from a "script" but how can RCL advertise a 20% off deal that isn't real? Anybody else noticed this?

Edited by Abbey Farmer

Those prices include gratuity and thus are not an increase.

My cruise planner shows the same thing and it doesn't add anything else when you put it the cart and start the checkout process. :)

Thanks, didn't catch that. Smoke and mirrors!

Thanks, didn't catch that. Smoke and mirrors!

Personally, I like that they changed the prices in the cruise planner to include the gratuities.

First, even though the word gratuity itself implies that it is voluntary, it is not. It is a service charge when it comes to the drink packages as it is not optional.

2nd, it accurately shows the true cost of the package per day up front which is more honest in my opinion.

Technically it says 20% off onboard prices so we won't really know until you sail how shady it is. If want the package, I'd probably book and be happy w the tiny savings compared to current prebooking rates. You'll be kicking yourself if find the rates on sailing have gone up such that 47/day before gratuity IS 20 % off onboard rates. The only downside I can think of is rather use OBC. We can complain it's shady and when say 20% off it Should be 20% off current sailing and online rates, but it's not what they are selling. They may not raise rates or they might , who knows, they almost should do it just to make their words online match what really happens onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are sailing June 4th...should I get the alcohol package now with the "20%" off or wait?

Jen

What is the total price of the package in the cart (with any gratuities added) per person?

What package (select, premium, ultimate)?

Personally, I like that they changed the prices in the cruise planner to include the gratuities.

First, even though the word gratuity itself implies that it is voluntary, it is not. It is a service charge when it comes to the drink packages as it is not optional.

2nd, it accurately shows the true cost of the package per day up front which is more honest in my opinion.

It doesn't actually...at least for my cruise it does not. It does say 20% off of ON BOARD PRICES. It lists the premium at $47 per day PLUS 18% GRATUITY. Even so the savings isn't there for now, I am afraid they will raise the prices and I am glad to have it paid for.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

$388.00 for the premium

OK. So the total in my cart for the premium package with gratuities included is $399 and I do NOT have the 20% off offer.

So $388 is obviously $11 cheaper than the normal prices. So in that regard I would say that it is not a worse deal and I would not expect it to be any cheaper than that on the ship.

One option would be to do like some other people here did: Call RCI and tell them it was $399 before and now it is $388 and that isn't 20% off. They will likely tell you about the new "on board pricing" to which you can make the argument "how am I supposed to know about the on board pricing before I even board the ship"? Bottom line, get them to give you OBC for the difference of what the "real" 20% discount would be. ($323.79 or $329 if they round it) So ask them for at least $70 OBC. I bet you will get it. Of course this requires you to purchase the package first.

The other option would be to call them and see if they will sell you the package for $329 (or $323.79) directly over the phone. (make sure you get them to e-mail you a confirmation)

It doesn't actually...at least for my cruise it does not. It does say 20% off of ON BOARD PRICES. It lists the premium at $47 per day PLUS 18% GRATUITY. Even so the savings isn't there for now, I am afraid they will raise the prices and I am glad to have it paid for.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I was referring to the pricing that is shown to everyone that does NOT have the 20% off offer. :)

$437.78 for Ultimate on Liberty of the Seas (June 19 sailing).

The price is $469 in my cart (Total price with gratuities) and I do not have the 20% offer.

So yours is 31.22 cheaper than my option but not 20% off the "regular" price.

The price is $469 in my cart (Total price with gratuities) and I do not have the 20% offer.

So yours is 31.22 cheaper than my option but not 20% off the "regular" price.

Yep! I was told that for my sailing, the on board cost is $67 per day. It was $59 per day before the 20% off sale.

Yep! I was told that for my sailing, the on board cost is $67 per day. It was $59 per day before the 20% off sale.

I realize that their discount from a increased on board price is BS ... BUT it is still cheaper than before if you take the deal.:)

I'm not getting offered to me at that price.

I purchased the Ultimate about 2 weeks ago for a 5 day in July on Grandeur. At the time it was the standard 59/49/39 with 20% off. 47.20 per day + grats for the Ultimate. As of today the pre-grats prices with the 20% off are 53/47/36.

For my 4 night on Independence in December is I am seeing pre-grats prices with the 20% off as 49/44/33.

I was just in contact with a current passenger on Explorer of the Seas via RCI facebook. She told me that the price to purchase a premium package was $57 a day, Ultimate was $67 a day and select $47 a day, prices included gratuities. So for example total price for a premium for a 7 day cruise including grats would be $399 so the 20 percent off on board prices still makes no sense.

1355956425_drinkpackage.jpg.155525f915cdbc3a82f2b0fa6ae85ca4.jpg

I wasn't looking originally, but what were the ORIGINAL prices posted before the discount. And did they include gratituites? We weren't going to do a package but may if we can get it below their current "20%" discount, or at least with an OBC. Heck, may even take it as is, still at the break even point for us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wasn't looking originally, but what were the ORIGINAL prices posted before the discount.

For my cruise the original price before the discount was the one advertised in the pdf file - as an example 59 for Ultimate. The price shown in the CruisePlanner was higher because it included the 18% service charge (and for Harmony 10% Spanish VAT). I never put it into the cart to check whether they add something else. But right now with the offer the price shown in the CruisePlanner does not match with the total shown when you click on "buy" (should be 7 times the shown price but is much more).

steamboats

For my cruise the original price before the discount was the one advertised in the pdf file - as an example 59 for Ultimate. The price shown in the CruisePlanner was higher because it included the 18% service charge (and for Harmony 10% Spanish VAT). I never put it into the cart to check whether they add something else. But right now with the offer the price shown in the CruisePlanner does not match with the total shown when you click on "buy" (should be 7 times the shown price but is much more).

steamboats

For my Harmony cruise, the CruisePlanner is showing for Premium, as an example, $48 per day with the 20% discount. This price includes VAT but excludes gratuities (I see 18% gratuities added if I place an order). This compares to the previous $49 plus VAT plus Gratuities. So in this case the 20% discount is actually around 10% in the real world - others may well have different results!

Edited by abo

Another thing, I will primarily be drinking either an adult beverage or tea or water from the windjammer. I don't drink sodas or fruit juices, except at breakfast, and they serve them there. I wish they had a package with no non-alcoholic drinks available. Seems they could drop the price a bit then if that was the case.

Edited by AACJ

Another thing, I will primarily be drinking either an adult beverage or tea or water from the windjammer. I don't drink sodas or fruit juices, except at breakfast, and they serve them there. I wish they had a package with no non-alcoholic drinks available. Seems they could drop the price a bit then if that was the case.

I would guess that the non-alcoholic element of the package, being mainly fountain sodas, adds little to the overall cost of the package and removing it may make less difference than you might think.

In any case, I don't see the pricing is really linked to underlying costs particularly - this is demand driven pricing we're seeing with RCI charging the maximum they think the market will bear, rather than cost plus some profit.