Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

I can say with 100% certainty that people removing gratuities is not the reason for a line at GS ever.

I would assume those people wait til the middle of the night so they don't have to whisper what they want to do to the guest services person to avoid everyone else hearing how lame they are. I'd be ashamed in doing such a thing that's for sure.

I don't understand this thinking. If I prefer to tip in cash, how would it make me lame? Removing auto-gratuities does not automatically mean not tipping at all.

At least that is my understanding.

Royal gives suggestion to the amount of gratuity - the same way they suggest a dress code. Cruisers either follow it or not, because it is not mandatory. They can go above or lower than suggestion.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263

"Our suggested gratuity guidelines take in account our crew members that work hard to provide and maintain the highest level of service while sailing the high seas. Whether working behind the scenes or serving your evening meal, our staff and crew make sure you enjoy every moment spent onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship."

I think you'd find that most people wait until the last night to remove their grats- they get excellent service all week and then feel indignant that they have to pay for it....:rolleyes:

How do you know that, we remove are auto tips on the first day.And tip on the last day.I will say this you tip the way you want and we will tip as we please.If this ok with Royal why do so many people have a problem with how other people tip.Have a great next cruise. :)

Many people who remove auto tips simply want to tip as they wish. Since RC has provided so many specialty dining venues, I can't blame them for wanting to tip those people, rather than auto tip MTD servers.

I think that Royal has put people in an awkward position with this. I don't want to tip MTD servers, and then tip again for other venues. I'm basically contributing to the pool twice, and paying for those cruisers who choose not to tip.

imo, my only option is to remove tips and tip as I wish, or leave tips in place, and not tip extra for the other venues. I would prefer to tip the servers I am dealing with.

Could not have said it better. :)

I don't understand this thinking. If I prefer to tip in cash, how would it make me lame? Removing auto-gratuities does not automatically mean not tipping at all.

If I see you removing tips I will think you are removing them because you are not going to tip or not tip much. That is the reason most people are removing the tips. People preferring to tip in cash.....that is not the reason. They prefer not to tip.

What if you never eat in the MDR? Should those servers get tips for not serving you? I agree with being able to remove the auto gratuities. In fact, I did it last week and tipped cash to the people who gave me great (and average) service. Yes, even in the Windjammer. I also left some on my account for the other people who helped make my cruise great but, I never actually met. I think that the people that are waiting on you will extend better service if receiving cash. It really doesn't bother me to carry cash around. I can see how, for some, it's easier to leave them on. That's great and easier for some people. I strongly believe that the level of service received goes up a notch or two when you give people cash. Also, many people do not realize that they can remove the gratuity. In the end, it's up the the purchaser the amount that they tip. I've only been cruising 3 years, 6 sailings. I've had top-notch service and just average service. I'd be interested to hear what long time cruisers think. Has the level of service dropped since auto gratuities came about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are currently on the Allure and have not and will not be eating in either the Main Dining Room or Windjammer. We are eating our meals in Coastal Kitchen and specialty restaurants.

We tip our server each meal. The server that we have had most often said to us. "You do not need to tip me because I am considered part of the Dining Room and share in the automatic gratuities"

That has not stopped us from continuing to tip...the service in CK is fantastic.

We also notified the MDR to give our excellently placed table for two to someone requesting one.

WE WILL LEAVE AUTOMATIC GRATUTIES IN PLACE because we think it is the correct thing to do.

If I see you removing tips I will think you are removing them because you are not going to tip or not tip much. That is the reason most people are removing the tips. People preferring to tip in cash.....that is not the reason. They prefer not to tip.

You're probably right for the majority, but I have seen a number of people talk about how they like to personally hand over the cash, rather than have it be taken care of behind the scenes or left discretely. Sometimes it is more about the feeling they get being able to hand that cash around than knowing the servers are taken care of.

Edited by Paul65

What if you never eat in the MDR? Should those servers get tips for not serving you? I agree with being able to remove the auto gratuities. In fact, I did it last week and tipped cash to the people who gave me great (and average) service. Yes, even in the Windjammer. I also left some on my account for the other people who helped make my cruise great but, I never actually met. I think that the people that are waiting on you will extend better service if receiving cash. It really doesn't bother me to carry cash around. I can see how, for some, it's easier to leave them on. That's great and easier for some people. I strongly believe that the level of service received goes up a notch or two when you give people cash. Also, many people do not realize that they can remove the gratuity. In the end, it's up the the purchaser the amount that they tip. I've only been cruising 3 years, 6 sailings. I've had top-notch service and just average service. I'd be interested to hear what long time cruisers think. Has the level of service dropped since auto gratuities came about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally agree with you! AMEN!

Edited by tgloersen

You're probably right for the majority, but I have seen a number of people talk about how they like to personally hand over the cash, rather than have it be taken care of behind the scenes or left discretely. Sometimes it is more about the feeling they get being able to hand that cash around than knowing the servers are taken care of.

They talk the talk but does that mean they do the walk? I am going to assume they are doing it for the reasons most do it, not the reasons of a few exceptions.

The reason for taking off the gratuity is supposed to be because bad service was received. Not because someone gets a buzz from handing out cash. If they get a buzz from that I think that would be lame.

Someone I know was telling me about their cruise because they know I take a lot of cruises. They tell me:

"Did you know that the auto gratuity can be removed? We were sitting with table mates who had two young kids and they were upset about tipping for "children". We thought that was horrible. So we went with them to guest relations to complain. Found out you could remove the gratuities. So we all removed our gratuity. We all saved a lot." Did you tip at all. "No".

Most removing it are like that.

Edited by Charles4515

They talk the talk but does that mean they do the walk? I am going to assume they are doing it for the reasons most do it, not the reasons of a few exceptions.

The reason for taking off the gratuity is supposed to be because bad service was received. Not because someone gets a buzz from handing out cash. If they get a buzz from that I think that would be lame.

Someone I know was telling me about their cruise because they know I take a lot of cruises. They tell me:

"Did you know that the auto gratuity can be removed? We were sitting with table mates who had two young kids and they were upset about tipping for "children". We thought that was horrible. So we went with them to guest relations to complain. Found out you could remove the gratuities. So we all removed our gratuity. We all saved a lot." Did you tip at all. "No".

Most removing it are like that.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is! an opinion.

Keep your auto-tipping thats your choice and i respect it, however i will maintain giving cash.

I can say with 100% certainty that people removing gratuities is not the reason for a line at GS ever.

I would assume those people wait til the middle of the night so they don't have to whisper what they want to do to the guest services person to avoid everyone else hearing how lame they are. I'd be ashamed in doing such a thing that's for sure.

You assume wrong i stand in line and tell the customer service rep. that i will be paying my own gratuities.And not to charge Gratuities to my credit card. The only wallet you control is your own. Have a great next cruise.:)

You assume wrong i stand in line and tell the customer service rep. that i will be paying my own gratuities.And not to charge Gratuities to my credit card. The only wallet you control is your own. Have a great next cruise.:)

Agreed!

Yeah, those automatic gratuities, knowing that everyone is covered, really makes it "awkward" for the guests. :rolleyes:

Put your eyes back in your head, Paul.

On an upcoming 5 night, I have booked CK for each night, for 5 people. I do think I would feel awkward eating there every night and not tipping as if I was eating in MDR.

I actually asked this question on another thread (how much to tip at CK) and I only got a couple of answers. One was, 'at least $100' and the other was '$200', because I am eating there every night. No one said, 'don't worry about it, those are behind the scenes people who are in the tip pool' or 'just leave a nominal amount'. They felt I should tip as if I were in MDR, while still paying auto grats.

Therefore my plan is to remove auto grats and tip those amounts in the venue I am using. Tip my steward as suggested. I don't think that is unreasonable.

On an upcoming 5 night, I have booked CK for each night, for 5 people. I do think I would feel awkward eating there every night and not tipping as if I was eating in MDR.

I actually asked this question on another thread (how much to tip at CK) and I only got a couple of answers. One was, 'at least $100' and the other was '$200', because I am eating there every night. No one said, 'don't worry about it, those are behind the scenes people who are in the tip pool' or 'just leave a nominal amount'. They felt I should tip as if I were in MDR, while still paying auto grats.

Therefore my plan is to remove auto grats and tip those amounts in the venue I am using. Tip my steward as suggested. I don't think that is unreasonable.

They're not "behind the scenes" people, but they would be covered by the auto gratuities. There is no need to tip in addition the the auto-gratuities, but extra tips are certainly welcome for anyone you think did an exceptional job for you. It's only awkward, because people try to overthink it and make it awkward.

They're not "behind the scenes" people, but they would be covered by the auto gratuities. There is no need to tip in addition the the auto-gratuities, but extra tips are certainly welcome for anyone you think did an exceptional job for you. It's only awkward, because people try to overthink it and make it awkward.

Fair enough, and I did consider that, but 5 people eating every night at the same place, probably using the same servers, and then at the end of the week leave a small amount?

I am not going to fully tip servers twice, and I do agree (with those other posters) that if people are waiting on us all week, it should be more than nominal. That leaves my best option as removing auto grats and tipping myself.

Remember that the gratuities are suggested guidelines, and are optional. People have to make their own decisions. We vote with our wallets; it's what companies understand.

Sounds like a good plan to me.:)

Fair enough, and I did consider that, but 5 people eating every night at the same place, probably using the same servers, and then at the end of the week leave a small amount?

I am not going to fully tip servers twice, and I do agree (with those other posters) that if people are waiting on us all week, it should be more than nominal. That leaves my best option as removing auto grats and tipping myself.

Remember that the gratuities are suggested guidelines, and are optional. People have to make their own decisions. We vote with our wallets; it's what companies understand.

If you leave the auto-gratuities in place, though, you will have paid over $200 (5 people x 5 nights x $8.30 = $207.50) toward "Dining and Culinary Services," which includes your CK servers. So, I just don't think it should be awkward at all, since RCI is telling you that you're covered.

For me, it would feel more awkward removing the auto-gratuities, because I'd worry that maybe I was leaving someone out that I should have included. When I leave the gratuities in place, and just give a little extra to those I think deserve a little extra, I have no worries at all that anyone got less than they should have, because of me.

Not saying you have to feel the same way I do; just explaining why I, personally, think it's a bad move to remove the auto-gratuities.

Edited by Paul65

If you leave the auto-gratuities in place, though, you will have paid over $200 (5 people x 5 nights x $8.30 = $207.50) toward "Dining and Culinary Services," which includes your CK servers. So, I just don't think it should be awkward at all, since RCI is telling you that you're covered.

For me, it would feel more awkward removing the auto-gratuities, because I'd worry that maybe I was leaving someone out that I should have included. When I leave the gratuities in place, and just give a little extra to those I think deserve a little extra, I have no worries at all that anyone got less than they should have, because of me.

Not saying you have to feel the same way I do; just explaining why I, personally, think it's a bad move to remove the auto-gratuities.

Paul65, I think maybe you mentioned this earlier (or was it someone else?), but I think the essence of the auto grats is to help keep the entire operation running smoothly - the entire operation meaning that the ship is run by the entire crew working as a team to help make the voyage great for all. RCI has determined that the auto grat system is the best way to make sure everyone is equitably compensated so that the machine stays well-oiled week after week and month after month. I suspect that if too many guests start mucking with the system by self-directing their tips, then the balance could get out of whack.

That being said, I doubt that enough people are removing the auto grats to have a significant impact. But this entire conversation has convinced me to leave the auto grat system alone and let it do its job, with the appreciation that additional tips can be given as I please. Besides, if I can afford a cruise I can afford $13-15/day for the gratuities that help make my vacation enjoyable whether or not I personally interact with everyone who receives that money. I just prepay the grats and then forget about it. To each his own.

Yes, that's pretty much my philosophy of the "right" way to handle it. Some will do what they think is better, or what they think they can get away with, but as long as those people are a small enough minority, the system will still work.

Hey I get it. For some they remove the gratuities and tip generously to those they feel deserve it. And I understand their reasoning behind it, even if I don't agree with it. But if I was a betting man, I'd wager that the larger percentage of people who remove the auto gratuities, are just being cheap and don't want to tip.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Just pay the tip and tip extra to those who deserve it. Come on, there a lot more folks "behind" the scenes that depend on your generosity. You're spending $1000 or more; give a tip to help the staff along. JEZZZZZZ

Hello

Our first time on RCI and we are wondering if it is possible (as we did on our on Holland America cruise) to remove the daily gratuities and pay cash at the end of our short sampler cruise? If it is possible, what currency is appreciated by the staff.

Thankyou

Nell

Thanks for all your 'varied' replies. I think we will just leave the tips in place as they are; A fair way of tipping all concerned, but, we will add a bit at the end of the cruise anyway and hope that it will be shared around (as we did on Holland America)

Thank you again everyone

Thanks for all your 'varied' replies. I think we will just leave the tips in place as they are; A fair way of tipping all concerned, but, we will add a bit at the end of the cruise anyway and hope that it will be shared around (as we did on Holland America)

Thank you again everyone

Perfect. :)

Paul65, I think maybe you mentioned this earlier (or was it someone else?), but I think the essence of the auto grats is to help keep the entire operation running smoothly - the entire operation meaning that the ship is run by the entire crew working as a team to help make the voyage great for all. RCI has determined that the auto grat system is the best way to make sure everyone is equitably compensated so that the machine stays well-oiled week after week and month after month.

Everyone? No, not even close. The guy cleaning the pool, the ones answering the phone, the crew steering the ship, the guy unclogging your toilet. These people, all important jobs, yeah? Work hard? Haven't seen family in months? Why are these people not in the auto-grats pool?

"RCL absolutely CANT change this. Why, if they raised their prices to pay all their staff adequately, they would not be competitive!!!!"

OK, so how about they drop the cruise price to $0.00? No one could compete on price with RCL!!!! There's just the simple matter of auto grats needing to be $300 per person per day.

"How dare you remove auto grats! You are stiffing the kitchen staff behind the scenes."

How did these people get paid a couple of years ago before auto grats? Were y'all pushing your way into the kitchen to hand out a few sawbucks? Or back then did you not care about those hard working people but now do? Please explain. (the snarkier, the better :D )

At this point you may consider me someone who removes auto tips. Nope, never have. $13 a day, automatically? Not a bad deal. I just HATE the whole tipping topic. The guy yanking a cork on a $300 bottle of wine gets tipped more than the girl pulling the cork on a $40 bottle. Why? The guy dropping a roll on my plate gets tipped, but the one that sorts out my reservation after 30 minutes of patience on the phone doesn't. Why?

Don't get me started on the "chilly" demeanor of the bartender when I dare accept a bottle of $6 beer without adding another dollar on top of the ~ $1.20 he already got for popping a cap and handing me the bottle. I do take about thirty $2 bills to hand out each cruise to good bartenders making stiff drinks with a smile.