Florence Duomo tour questions

cuagrad90

I will be in Florence for a day in June and want a tour of the Duomo, not one as part of another tour. I have found one that is an hour and is only $15. And, then some that are 90 minutes to two hours that are more in the $60 price range. They do not include going in the tower and I don't want to go - I have a fear of heights.

My questions to those with experience:

1) If I take the hour tour, will they let me stay at the completion and look around on my own?

2) The longer tours include the Baptistry. Is that worth to extra cost?

3) My ship is in port at 8 a.m. Can I make a 10 a.m. tour?

Thanks for your advice.

I will be in Florence for a day in June and want a tour of the Duomo, not one as part of another tour. I have found one that is an hour and is only $15. And, then some that are 90 minutes to two hours that are more in the $60 price range. They do not include going in the tower and I don't want to go - I have a fear of heights.

My questions to those with experience:

1) If I take the hour tour, will they let me stay at the completion and look around on my own? I would be asking the tour operator.

Thanks for your advice.

Are you aware of the distance to Florence? No way would I book a 10am tour.

1) If I take the hour tour, will they let me stay at the completion and look around on my own?

It is impossible to make the 10 am tour.

The Baptistry is extraordinary and the jewel of the compound. You can see the bronze gates from the outside. Inside, the dome is covered in incredible 13 C mosaics. You can visit all parts of the cathedral - baptistry, museum, cathedral and bell tower with a 15 euro ticket:

http://www.museumflorence.com/?utm_source=opaeng&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=piazzaduomo

As others have recommended, I would opt for a later tour. It takes about 90 minutes to reach Florence from the port of Livorno - that does not count the time it takes you to disembark your ship or the possibility of congested traffic conditions en route.

The Baptistry is definitely worth the visit - it is stunning. Ghiberti 's bronze doors (the incredible "Gates of Paradise") are replicas - you can see the originals in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (located next to the Duomo). You will not be able to reenter the Baptistry once you exit but once in, you may stay as long as you wish - same with the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore - Duomo (you can remain after your tour has ended).

Edited by dogs4fun

It is impossible to make the 10 am tour.

The Baptistry is extraordinary and the jewel of the compound. You can see the bronze gates from the outside. Inside, the dome is covered in incredible 13 C mosaics. You can visit all parts of the cathedral - baptistry, museum, cathedral and bell tower with a 15 euro ticket:

http://www.museumflorence.com/?utm_source=opaeng&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=piazzaduomo

Thanks for sharing this link! We're looking at doing a tour that provides transportation from Livorno to Florence and Pisa but lets you see what you want on your own. Does the 15 Euro ticket allow you to bypass any lines?

Does the 15 Euro ticket allow you to bypass any lines?

Yes, you can bypass the ticket buying line. You still have to wait in line to enter. You can also book the time of the visit for the Dome, the Bell tower and the Museum when you buy the ticket.

Admission to the cathedral itself is free. Entry via the right-hand door in the west front (Cathedral façade). I am not sure if ticket holders also have a separate entrance.

You could book the museum for the afternoon and then line up for the Baptistry as soon as you get there. Then depending on the time, you can go to the cathedral, or have lunch or walk around (Piazza della Signoria, Ponte Vecchio, etc, etc) before your museum entry time.

The website also offers a tour at 10:30, but you have to be there at 10:15. Consider that in addition to the 90 minutes travel, you have to add walking time from where the bus drops you off to the Duomo. Could be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Most buses drop you off just North of the Accademia (a couple of blocks) and some others may drop you off by the Arno, about two blocks from Santa Croce.

Edited by marazul