Embarkation from Hell in Vancouver BC

rsato

My wife and I had a great repositioning cruise on the NCL Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC ending May 5. We spent the night in Vancouver, and then planned on taking the one day repositioning cruise on the NCL Jewel to return us from Vancouver to Seattle.

We dropped off our bags at 1pm and then started the embarkation from hell - first we were warehoused in a huge holding room with cruisers on 3 different ships - one from Princess, one from Celebrity, and the Jewel. Large groups of people were assigned numbers based on arrival time from 1 to at least 88. With our 1pm arrival we were in group 65 and it took 2.5 hours to get from number 42 to 65.

When 65 was called, we cheered and were allowed to begin the next phase - we waited for about 30 minutes in a line before the metal detectors - passengers were delayed because there wasn't room for people after the security station.

Once through the metal detectors we went to another large room with rows of chairs. Rows of people were seated front to rear and then allowed to exit in order after about 1 hour of waiting.

Next, we waited in a 25 minute line to stop at one of 14 US Homeland Security officers desk and showed our passports in a 30 second stop.

Finally, we left the immigration stop and had no delay with the NCL check in personnel. We boarded the ship at 5:35 (it was supposed to leave at 5 pm, but ended up leaving just before 8pm).

We were told the reason for the huge delays was the overwhelming number of cruisers ?7000 - but clearly the NCL Jewel was sailing at much less than 50% capacity.

I suppose we could have gotten a better number by stopping by earlier and then having lunch - they did not penalize you for missing the number just called. When 65 was called, everyone with numbers 1-65 were invited to join the arduous process. Waiting for the number to be called was perhaps the most frustrating part but clearly not the only major point of delay.

Other suggestions, if you are able:

1. Don't sail from a foreign country (even Canada) into the US

2. Avoid Vancouver Port: Latitudes status and even suite won't help (it isn't a NCL issue, it is a Homeland security issue)

3. Don't sail out of Vancouver when all 3 cruise docks are occupied

4. Show up right when the check-in counters open even if you have to sit on the ship at the buffet - it beats standing in line / sitting in holding rooms with just water for 4 hours.

So sorry you had such a bad experience! I agree with you that it is not NCL's fault, but the Port Authority.

We were on the Pearl Repo too and spent the night in Vancouver also.

After getting off the Pearl, we had a transportation fiasco caused by the port authorities, not NCL, and it took 3 hours to get it all figured out. The only thing that kept us from your experience the next morning getting on the Jewel was that we were told during our fiasco that there would be 3 ships in port and that we should arrive early.

I definitely agree with your #3 and #4!

We arrived to the port at 10:15am. No line for security, but we were also sent to a waiting room with all of the other ship passengers. We were the 4th group to be called, whisked through NCL check in and we were on the ship eating lunch at 11:30.

We were wondering why the ship did not sail at 5, so now we know. I feel so sorry for you and the other passengers involved.

Since you obviously missed the muster drill, how did NCL handle that?

Same thing happened to us a few years ago, 1 day cruise on Princess, Vancouver - Seattle, same time of year. We were in line for something like 3 or 4 hours. This Port seems to have problems the first week the Alaska cruises start up. We sailed out of Vancouver last November with no problems.

We were put on the "make-up" muster drill list after missing the scheduled one. Unfortunately we were never able to attend since we left the ship at 8AM in Seattle...

The Jewel left Seattle right on time at 4pm. I guess they didn't hold up departure looking for us.

Feel bad for OP but thanks for sharing - a heads up for others planning similar itinerary. Surprised that OP being from the Seattle area, south of BC had not dealt with US CBP a/k/a Homeland Security at the border crossing. YVR airport (Vancouver) is notorious - hasn't changed in the last 30 years - even when flying home & going thru the "drills" at the exclusive, dedicated sterile area in the airport (and airport was much smaller than) - the lines were famous (still are). It hasn't changed much all these years for the better - flights are delayed if & when transit pax had to deplane & go thru formalities b/c pax are held up. Lines moved very slowly and it's worst when staffing level isn't adequate - last time we flew home from there, we arrived 3+ hours before our scheduled flight departure - just to make sure. I can definitely relate to and imagine what it was like to be there for 4 hours, hungry & in queue - maybe needing to go to the restroom, etc. or with young children.

There isn't much the individual travelers can do, whether it's on a cruise ship or flying home. The description of a holding warehouse room sounded about right - reminder of a processing center for refugee arrivals, except it's for U.S. citizens & nationals, etc.

With cutbacks on Homeland Security's budget this year & reduced CBP staffing, expect those lines and wait time to get worst, and, not better this summer for those sailing Alaska & returning home to the US at key gateways like Vancouver. When we flew home from abroad back into JFK (N.Y. City) last Fall - CBP screening with the automated kiosk really help speed things up for U.S. passport holders & permanent residents.

Just to be clear, the fault isn't that of NCL - write & let your Congressional rep's know of your dissatisfaction, not that they can do much to mitigate directly :rolleyes:

It always is. Canada Place is known for being over crowded and slow.

Here is a tip though that might help future cruises. A few years ago on our Alaskan Cruise we ended up catching a shuttle from the hotel to the cruise terminal at 9 am. It was the only slot open for the free shuttle everything else was later but we took it and just figured we would have to find a place to sit and wait until they were ready for us.

We arrived around 9:15 and it was a mad house of people getting off and people being dropped off. Hubby has a hard time standing and there was no place to sit until I found a few chairs right next to the security screeners. So I quietly asked one of them if it was ok for my hubby to use one of the chairs until they were ready for us. They flagged us on through and let us go through security. We then went to the room where they sit everyone from all the cruise ships. There was only 5 others in the room with us for about the next 1/2 hr. It was not long until they called everyone for the NCL cruises and we were off and running. Through check in with in about 10 minutes and on to the next seating area. There we sat for about 40 minutes and onto the ship we went. It was so easy and no crowds. Most of all hubby was able to sit instead of stand.

So keep this under your hats and dont tell anyone we wouldnt want this to get out :D (hehe)

I do hope it helps someone

That said, last year on our flight home from Vancouver the airport was horrible and their TSA can be quite rude at times

We dis-embarked the Jewel on may 6. The same amount of 7000 people OP mentioned wantend te leave all 3 ships .

There were so many people in one building, it was a zoo[emoji27]

I think the problem here in Vancouver is there is one main terminal and not like in Barcelona or Miami different terminals.

We had a excursion ending at the airport, but we waited very long for our bus finally arrived, it was very chaotic where all the busses were. ( all for different cruise lines )And when we finally left the parking garage, we saw a very ,very hugh line for taxi,s That must have been a nightmare.

Because our tour bus had to be on the airport at a specific time, there was not much time left for the tour, so it was more like an expensive shuttle. [emoji2] All the people complained to the poor Canadian bus driver, and all he can say was ; contact NCL please