During the transit, are there things best viewed from specific spots on board?

Turtles06

We've just booked our first Panama Canal cruise, a full transit, westbound next year (Miami to LA), and are quite excited. I've read enough on here to know that we should walk around the ship and experience the transit from different places on board. What I'm wondering is whether specific aspects of the transit or things along the shore are best viewed or experienced from specific places or vantage points on board (e.g., in the stern or bow, port or starboard, higher or lower).

Thanks to you Canal veterans for any advice and tips!

If you read around the board, they are many comments about being on the bow for a lock or two, if your ship allows being on the bow. There are also many comments on being on the deck (name varies by ship, but usually it is called the Promenade Deck) where you can almost touch the sides of the locks as there is so little extra space.

The promenade deck also brings you eye to eye with the locomotive driver. Aft gives a great view of the lock, and ship entering behind you once you're about to exit the set of locks.

Also the views of both bridges are best experienced if you have clear front ( or aft once you passed them) view. A view you won't get from your balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No...there really are no specific spots to see specific things.... Just wander! A transit, whether full or partial is not a quick affair at all! The suggestion to move about comes from folks who want the "perfect" balcony for the transit...and we advise NOT to sit on the balcony for the entire thing! That's all!

Edited by cb at sea

If your ship will provide access to bow, then that is the money shot when the gates open at the first lock... which will be Gatun in the direction you are going. Just be aware there will probably be almost 2000 other passengers with the same idea:)! There is another spot (usually) to get that pic of the gates opening... just get on one of the upper decks as far forward as possible and you should be able to get a great shot. Don't forget as you are approaching Gatun Locks, before you arrive, look for the new locks of Agua Clara off the port bow... should be an interesting sight.

While you are crossing Gatun Lake the port side will offer you a view of oncoming ships that you may meet. If there is nothing of particular interest, I just like to up in a public room that you can basically see what is coming as you proceed through the Canal. Then move to wherever you can better see it.

Head down to the lower outside deck as Bruce suggested while you are in any of the 3 locks and get a glimpse of the close tolerances.

Things happen at a leisurely pace, so when you see something of interest, there is usually ample time to position yourself to get a closer look.

Here is a little trivia for you... in the direction you are traveling on your westbound cruise... When you enter the Canal at Cristobal you will be further West than when exit the Canal at Balboa. Your transit will have taken you about 20 miles further to the East than you were when you entered the Canal.

Thanks everyone for the really great info and advice above!

I had a little practice five years ago in China, going through the locks of the Three Gorges Dam. It was the middle of the night, in pouring rain, and fantastic!

Three%20Gorges%20Locks%20at%20Night_zps8mjtfyhj.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

The promenade deck also brings you eye to eye with the locomotive driver. Aft gives a great view of the lock, and ship entering behind you once you're about to exit the set of locks.

Also the views of both bridges are best experienced if you have clear front ( or aft once you passed them) view. A view you won't get from your balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have an aft cabin for our full transit in October (our first time on the aft) so I am really looking forward to this expanded view vantage point! But I will have to check out the promenade deck for that eye to eye view of the locomotive driver! I've seen some YouTube videos and it appears the ships are literally inches from the edges! Cannot wait to experience all of this! And to think this cruise all came about by chance with NCL cancelling our Mexican Riviera cruise and offered this one as a replacement! Bucket list!

Here is a little trivia for you... in the direction you are traveling on your westbound cruise... When you enter the Canal at Cristobal you will be further West than when exit the Canal at Balboa. Your transit will have taken you about 20 miles further to the East than you were when you entered the Canal.

Great trivia! We are also travelling westbound (Miami to San Diego). I really appreciate your knowledge, insight, and comments on this board. This is a very quiet board but I have learned a lot from you. Thank you!

Since the new portion of the locks will be open prior to our transit, will there be a chance we can go through that portion? If not, will we be able to at least see it from the old locks? We've never been through the canal though so all of it will be "new" to us anyway.

We have an aft cabin for our full transit in October (our first time on the aft) so I am really looking forward to this expanded view vantage point! ... And to think this cruise all came about by chance with NCL cancelling our Mexican Riviera cruise and offered this one as a replacement! Bucket list!

And our Panama Canal cruise next January also came about because NCL cancelled a bunch of Mexican Riviera cruises on the Jewel, and added some Canal transits, including the one we just booked. I literally stumbled on it a week ago while I was noodling around on NCL's web site, and there it was, just recently released, with lots of great cabins available. I could not believe our good luck there!

PS: We've sailed NCL in aft-facing cabins, and yes, it's quite a special view. I think you will definitely enjoy it!

Edited by Turtles06

One thing we found mesmerizing was when we were in one side of the lock and there was another ship in the other lock traveling through at the same time. You could really see what was going on.

We liked being in the promenade and our balcony during the transit. The bow was packed and hard to see anything.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The promenade deck is one of the big positives about NCL's Jewel class ships. You can walk all the way around (no view in the bow, where you go through a little tunnel, but you can still circumnavigate the whole deck), and there are no lifeboats blocking the ocean views along the sides as there are on newer builds.

JewelCruiseOct2010519_01.jpg

(NCL Jewel, promenade deck, by turtles06)

Great trivia! We are also travelling westbound (Miami to San Diego). I really appreciate your knowledge, insight, and comments on this board. This is a very quiet board but I have learned a lot from you. Thank you!

Since the new portion of the locks will be open prior to our transit, will there be a chance we can go through that portion? If not, will we be able to at least see it from the old locks? We've never been through the canal though so all of it will be "new" to us anyway.

Appreciate the kind words! While I would not say with absolute certainty that you will not use the new expansion locks, I think it would be very unlikely. The intent is that ships that can fit in the present locks will continue to use them. I suppose some circumstance could arise that your ship could be slotted to use the new locks. The Canal has indicated that they would take ships that would fit in the present locks through the new locks if their draft exceeded the limit for the present locks at the time of transit, not that this would be the case with your ship. In any case... never say never:)!

Your best shot at seeing the new locks on the Atlantic side is during your approach to Gatun Locks, the new locks will be off the port bow. You should be able to see the three "steps" up to Gatun Lake. While the new locks are not far from Gatun Locks, because of their low profile you probably won't see anything except the high mast lighting towers. However, if there is a neo-Panamax ship in the new locks... that would be very visible. On the Pacific side as you approach Pedro Miguel Locks you will see the Pacific Access Channel which connects Gaillard Cut with the Pacific side's Cocoli Locks on the starboard side. The new locks will not be easily visible at this point. Your best glimpse of the Cocoli Locks will be after you clear the last set of Locks... Miraflores and before you get to the Bridge of Americas, starboard side.

Edited by BillB48