La Patisserie

winowino

It is on deck 5, midship. Yes, a much smaller version of the International Cafe. There were times on our last cruise that there were no pastries available. So, a little disappointing compared to what we've had on other Princess ships. However, we had a great cruise through the Panama Canal. We probably gained less weight in the 15 days, since we weren't stopping by that area as often.

We have sailed on the Island (and on the Coral and Sapphire before they had an IC added). In the morning, the La Patisserie would have a tray or maybe two of self service pastries (the half sized versions served in Sabatini's) in the morning. From lunch on there would be a tray or maybe two of self service small sandwiches and pastries like those served for afternoon tea. Because the food was self service, the trays would disappear if there was a Noro outbreak.

IMO not at all comparable to the IC. It is a coffee bar/booze bar combo area. I've never found pastries or sandwiches available there.

The display is so small, you might have missed it. We just had the same situation on the Diamond. I found the little sandwiches to be stale most of the time. On the plus side, it's easier to find a seat there since there are no IC customers taking up space. :)

We're sailing Island soon and, while many decry the "desecration" of the ship due to the major remodel, my concern is that all that remodeling didn't add an IC to the ship. It's mind boggling to me that there is still no IC on Island Princess. La Patisserie just isn't going to be the same at all.

We're sailing Island soon and, while many decry the "desecration" of the ship due to the major remodel, my concern is that all that remodeling didn't add an IC to the ship. It's mind boggling to me that there is still no IC on Island Princess. La Patisserie just isn't going to be the same at all.

I totally 100% agree. This is what annoyed me about the Island's changes, absolutely nothing was done to enhance the experience of the passenger. The IC on the Coral is quite nice and in a location that makes it feel like more of a sidewalk cafe. We enjoyed it very much, nice seating, brightly lit and good drinks and snacks.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I was very disappointed in La Patisserie on the Island for our Panama Canal cruise. I did see a few sandwiches at lunchtime, as in the photos above, but I'd hoped for a plate of pastries or cookies at other times of day but never saw any. (Didn't look at breakfast time - there may have been pastries then). We headed for Horizon Court for coffee and cookies.

I read all the posts and wonder if the Coral has the coffee card plan that has brewed coffee and specialty coffees?

The short answer is YES. I used my coffee card quite a lot on Coral last fall. :) I drink the fresh brewed coffee and my wife uses the punches. "Sharing" in that manner is perfectly acceptable as punches are a limited item.

Yup. They're there. Absolutely nothing like the IC.

6783ea4e366011e9a4e22806af8c26c3.jpg

Just what I want - NOT! Sandwiches in IC are protected in glass cases and served by staff who observe cleanliness standards. Sandwiches that are sitting out for everybody to touch, breathe on, cough on, etc. are not that appetizing to me.

Just what I want - NOT! Sandwiches in IC are protected in glass cases and served by staff who observe cleanliness standards. Sandwiches that are sitting out for everybody to touch, breathe on, cough on, etc. are not that appetizing to me.

Don't worry, last month on the Island they were covered by a plastic top & were NOT self serve. There was even a small sign saying "Please ask, not self serve". :D

Was on the Island in Feb. the Patisserie had a couple of trays of small pastries in the morning. I never saw any sandwiches and later in the day no pastries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to worry. First, they don't have sandwiches and second, the pastries are covered and are not self serve.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can see the plastic covering being held up in the photo. :)

What hasn't been mentioned are the fresh, still warm chocolate chip cookies served at about 3:30pm. Yummy!

The Patisserie is actually a nice place to go during the day if you don't go to the pool or sun loungers.

Not to worry. First, they don't have sandwiches and second, the pastries are covered and are not self serve.

Well, they do have sandwiches--the little kind they serve at tea. On the Diamond, they were on a rectangular tray with a fitted plastic dome lid. The dome had an opening at one end where you reached through with a pair of tongs to get the item. There were little plates there and napkins.

Well, they do have sandwiches--the little kind they serve at tea. On the Diamond, they were on a rectangular tray with a fitted plastic dome lid. The dome had an opening at one end where you reached through with a pair of tongs to get the item. There were little plates there and napkins.
shredie has been on the Diamond much more recently than we were on the Island, Coral or Sapphire but our experience was exactly the same. The 1 or 2 trays were covered with the same type of lid and it was definitely self serve. They did disappear when there was a Noro outbreak on one cruise. Maybe there was the start of a Noro outbreak on the cruise with the signs. There were small pastries in the morning and sandwiches like served at afternoon tea the rest of the day.

This is what La Patisserie looks like on the Coral Princess. The Island should look similar

7383430298_8503c22479_z.jpg

Three years ago on the Island 1 or 2 trays were set out on the small tables on either side of where the couple is sitting on the far right side of the photo.

• 8 months later...

We have just come off the Emerald where the International Café is fabulous. We have also cruised on the Diamond and Sun Princess and once again the International Café was great.

We will be on the Sea Princess for 35 days in April and I see that they only have La Patisserie/Explorers Lounge. We always have our lunch at the International Café as it makes for a light lunch as we try not to eat too much whilst on board. We don't want to return home kilo's heavier if we can help it.

My question is do you think there is enough variety in the small rolls and sandwiches that are offered each day at lunchtime or do you think we need to eat either in the D.R. or up in the buffet? We always enjoy our latte's at that time and having something to eat with them makes for a light but enjoyable meal.

Jennie

My question is do you think there is enough variety in the small rolls and sandwiches that are offered each day at lunchtime or do you think we need to eat either in the D.R. or up in the buffet?

No. If you want a meal, that is not the place to get one.

Thanks for your feedback. We are happy with small sandwiches and pastries for lunch so I believe we will be spending some time in La Patisserie. We try not to eat too much during the day especially if we have a good breakfast and then a two or three course dinner in the evening. :)

Jennie