Food on the Liberty??

Chilled soups for breakfast. Must have experienced some serious weight loss that week.

actually yes I did. It was the first cruise I ever left 5 pounds lighter. and that is including brunch and one dinner at Palo. and to be quite honest I felt the DR staff were NOT interested at all in making me happy. I got rolled eyes and shaking heads whenever I failed to finish an item or sent it back. they kept aggressively telling me to order every course, and when I refused would bring something random out anyway.

actually yes I did. It was the first cruise I ever left 5 pounds lighter. and that is including brunch and one dinner at Palo. and to be quite honest I felt the DR staff were NOT interested at all in making me happy. I got rolled eyes and shaking heads whenever I failed to finish an item or sent it back. they kept aggressively telling me to order every course, and when I refused would bring something random out anyway.

I thought you said you only ate chilled soups?

OP - if you like a good salad, be sure and check out the Tutti salad in the main dining room on sea days. Fabulous chopped salad - you pick the ingredients and they make it for you. Always one of my favorite meals! Windjammer for lunch can be a bit boring - pretty much the same every day but you have free and $$ options as well. As others have said, some dishes are better than others. The waiters are pretty good in the dining room about guiding you away from the losers on the menu. You won't go hungry.

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. I appreciate them. Thank you also with your comparisons with Disney as those are the menus that I have tried.

We booked the Mystery Dinner ahead of time and it was supposed to be on day 4 but was moved to day 1. Had our luggage not arrived quickly this would have been an issue and we still would have preferred for it to be on any other day than Embarkation Day. The show was fun and entertaining, the food was phenomenal from Giovanni's. This will be something we will look to do on each cruise!

Chops Grill was also great food. Our waiter "Lito" was so good and entertaining! Food was as expected outstanding and the steak was cooked perfectly. Only criticism would be the peppercorn sauce was a bit salty. Other than that amazing food and great place to eat especially for formal night.

Sabor, not sure how I can put this one into words but this restaurant is simply stupendous!!!! First our waiter Marlon was one of the best we have encountered ever. He made sure we were well taken care of. The table side guacamole was out of this world, the flavors were fresh and so yummy that we got a second bowl. I think between the four of us we may have ordered most of the menu!. Best items - calamari (cooked to perfection), bacon wrapped chicken stuffed jalapenos, tortillas soup, fundido, Chicken and corn empanadas, Plato Gordo (roasted duck) burrito, pulled chicken quesadillas, tres queso quesadillas, and deserts chocolate crem brulee and chocolate and banana empanadas. Not so special were the chicken flautas those compared the rest were just ordinary. We enjoyed this one so much we switched our second reservation on formal night #2 from Chops to Sabor! This is a must if you are cruising on Liberty!

Johnny Rockets had good hamburgers, onion rings, apple pie and shakes. Down fall this one is it is close to the teen area so no matter what time you are more likely to encounter loud teens.

MDR breakfast was best on the ship.

Sorrento's had ok pizza (better than WJ) my sister and her husband loved the fresh bruschetta there.

Dining Disappointments - Windjammer we tried for breakfast once and lunch once food was similar to Las Vegas buffet's and not a place for anyone with issues in crowed areas with people who don't feel like they should control their children, or excuse themselves (born and raised in Texas). Royal is not to blame for that and for large scale buffet it was ok you can probably find something.

Room Service breakfast seemed like they made the plates from the buffet. Felt like the eggs could have been fresh scrambled like in the main dining room and very limited selections.

MDR dinner - This probably would have been good to us first night but since our specialty Mystery Dinner was moved to the first night and our first dining experience was a specialty one it made the food in the MDR seem very blah. We had my time dining which was great for us being able to go whenever we wanted to go and the wait staff were good but the food was lacking compared to the food in the specialty restaurants.

To give you an idea of my husband and my food/restaurant preferences we frequent cracker barrel, salt grass steak house, mom and pop mexican resaurants, and lunch like panera, taco cabana, and bbq. I would not think we are food snobs but there is a definite difference in the MDR and the specialty. If concerned book ahead for specialty dining packages where you get discounted rates. This we will do on future cruises.

We were on Liberty with Walker.

For the first time since cruising with RCCL and the third time on Liberty, I was disappointed in the MDR food. Some things I love like the crab cakes, duck and Lamb are still good, but most of the chicken and the Mojo chop was just way over cooked and dry. All the sea food seemed to be good, just the other meats were not right. They did change the vendor of the prime rib since the last cruise and that made me happy. For a while I didn't care for the cut they were serving. Seems to be back to normal now.

The real star of our cruise was our trip to Sabor's. The dessert sampler is really to die for! Most of the food there is excellent. Lunch is pretty reasonable at $20.

If you want a really good steak, get it at Giovanni's!

and the occasional plater of scrambled eggs from the buffet.

Well if Disneys scrambled eggs are anything like Royal's and Carnival's and you find that edible, that pretty much discredits any opinion of food you have ;) lol.

Yuck :o

Edited by ryano

Hi Spookwife. A few of the posters on this board can be tacky; I've had the same experience with one of them myself, so you are not being singled out. All in all, most of the people here are very nice and helpful, so just ignore the ones who don't seem to know any better and enjoy all the really nice folks on this forum.

Well if Disneys scrambled eggs are anything like Royal's and Carnival's and you find that edible, that pretty much discredits any opinion of food you have ;) lol.

Yuck :o

my husband taught me the art of Hot sauce on scrambled eggs. he says that on Disney, and Royal they are better than any eggs he had on his normal ship( Big, grey , Ugly, Name typically starts with USS....)

my husband taught me the art of Hot sauce on scrambled eggs. he says that on Disney, and Royal they are better than any eggs he had on his normal ship( Big, grey , Ugly, Name typically starts with USS....)

It's amazing how a little (or a lot) of Hot Sauce can make anything taste better!

:)

I think the thing that everyone needs to remember is that opinions on food (or anything really) are very subjective. What you love may not be to my taste and what I think is great, you may thing is horrible. That's life folks. We all have our opinions but that's really all they are. One will say the pizza on LOS is garbage and I'm from NY so I know. Another poster from NY may say the pizza is fine because it's all that they expect. So let's all understand that we all are entitled to our opinion but our opinion is only right for us. Don't come off acting like someone who disagrees with you doesn't know what they're talking about. Come on folks...it's just a message board!

Just got back from our May 1 cruise on Liberty. Our family was pleased with the food we had in the MDR. And especially pleased with the server team we had the last five nights of the cruise. Was on the cruise with DH and two adult DD's. We had My Time Dining; but, had also asked about getting a window table. As a result, we bounced around the first two nights before getting the same table for the remainder of the cruise. I'd say we enjoyed most everything we had. Many nights we all four order something different for at least the first two courses, then traded bites so everyone got a taste. Particularly enjoyed the seafood dishes. The prime rib was very good also and cooked exactly as requested. Husband and one DD ordered the lamb and really liked it. Desserts were very, very good. And I agree about the Cesar salad. DH ordered that salad three times!

We also did Windjammer for breakfast most days and it was OK. I agree about all the prior comments regarding the scrambled eggs. Tried them once; but just once!! DD's waited in the "custom" egg line and got specialty omelets or even special egg scrambles which they liked much better. Also, you had to "dig" for really good crisp bacon. However, everything else was reasonably good and filling. We did do breakfast one day in the MDR and that was excellent. Everything cooked to order for you.

DH and I also did the "Royal Lunch" the last day of the cruise. $30 each; but, it included a tour of the galley (very interesting if you're a foodie), mimosas and chocolate covered strawberries and a delicious gourmet lunch which was one of the best meals we had.

We've cruised before, and several in our family worked in the restaurant industry, so understand the logistics of trying to serve that many people that much food. As this was just a fun family cruise and we weren't celebrating any milestones, we opted for just doing MDR rather than any of the specialty restaurants and weren't disappointed.

The specialty restaurants on our cruise were not unusually crowded, so I would say that this is probably not factual.

Last week I tried to book Chops for our upcoming May 22-29 cruise. The only times available were 5:30, 8:30 or 9:30. I tried 2 different evenings and got the same availability. The earlier time is too early for us, and I normally don't like eating later than 7:30 or 8:00. But we did take the 8:30 time and will try to change it once we're on board. Anyway, that tells me that it will be crowded on our sailing.

Last week I tried to book Chops for our upcoming May 22-29 cruise. The only times available were 5:30' date=' 8:30 or 9:30. I tried 2 different evenings and got the same availability. The earlier time is too early for us, and I normally don't like eating later than 7:30 or 8:00. But we did take the 8:30 time and will try to change it once we're on board. Anyway, that tells me that it will be crowded on our sailing.[/quote']

They only offer limited bookings in advance. You'll probably have no problem changing that 8:30 reservation once on-board. I do know from personally experience that limited advance reservations does not mean that the specialty dining will be crowded.

They only offer limited bookings in advance. You'll probably have no problem changing that 8:30 reservation once on-board. I do know from personally experience that limited advance reservations does not mean that the specialty dining will be crowded.

Thanks so much. Good to know. We'll try and change our reservation the ay we board.

• 1 month later...
Well when you look at the price tags of Disney vs RCI, I guess Disney's food should be better! :eek:;)

I didn't find the food on disney to be bad, you must remember Disney is set up for kids. I didn't care for the large portions. No asking for seconds of something different cause you would be too full from the first plate. They didn't do really unique food so this may be why people don't like it. DH asked for Cream Bulee the first day and the waiter made sure he got it every night. Wasn't able to reorder different meals from other nights the way we do some times on RC or Princess. Sticking with RC for now, but glad I took the Grandkids to disney

Of all my Royal cruises, I was the least satisfied with Liberty. That said, the worst of my cruise meals are still better than 99% of the meals I have at home.

I'm a "foodie," and love trying things. In the past, I would struggle to narrow it down to one salad, appetizer, dinner and dessert. There were always many things I liked on each menu. On this cruise, I sometimes struggled to find one thing I wanted in total. I love seafood, and there was very little on the menus. One night there were no entrees that appealed to me, so I decided to acutally PAY for a meal in the MDR. I ordered the steak and lobster. When it arrived, I began eating, and stopped dead when I saw what looked like a huge bug in my mashed potatoes. My waiter came rushing over and called the head waiter who came rushing over and took it back to the kitchen. He later came out with my original plate to pick up the "bug" and show me that it was actually a large piece of a spice. (Although I'm still not 100% convinced that it had been to start.) Either way, they refunded my money and offered to bring me another. As hard as I tried to eat after that, my appetite was GONE.

The food issues continued with room service. I had an early dinner seating and wanted a late night snack. The room service menu was as minimal as I've ever seen it. I ordered artichoke dip and a cheese plate at about 11:00pm. I had long since fallen asleep by the time it finally arrived at 1:30am. I then wanted to see if this was an exception or the norm, so I ordered room service two more times that cruise. Delivery time exceeded two hours both nights.

Finally (this is a personal thing that demonstrates how food is subjective), I was disappointed that the Windjammer did not have any bagels with lox at breakfast. That's always been my go to "cruise breakfast." I look forward to eating it on cruises, and am reminded of cruising when/if I eat it any other time. I was told this had been continued fleet wide, but found out that wasn't true when I heard from other posters upon my return.

With all of that said, this was more than a year ago. I am certain that there will have been staff turnover, and many issues will have been addressed. I am booked on Liberty again in April, so I guess I'll find out for myself.

Edited by payitforward

• 1 month later...
We are jumping ship from Disney due to high prices. We are cruising on the Liberty soon. This will be our first cruise on RCCL. After reading through some posts, it seems that the food on the Liberty is not very good. Is that your impression? Can you give me advice on the food and the restaurants? Thanks !

Is it bad food? No, is there better food, probably. But I have always been happy with the food on all my cruises. Its really in the selection.

• 1 month later...

DH and I also did the "Royal Lunch" the last day of the cruise. $30 each; but, it included a tour of the galley (very interesting if you're a foodie), mimosas and chocolate covered strawberries and a delicious gourmet lunch which was one of the best meals we had.

I am really interested in the Royal Lunch. Was that available pre-cruise, or did you sign up for it on-board? Thanks!

Edited by Cindy

I sailed Disney in December and we just finished sailing Liberty, Sunday. Our experience was that there was a SIGNIFICANT difference in food quality and customer service and we were not too thrilled with the food on Liberty. We realized that, although Disney prices are higher, we will gladly pay the premium for the better quality and service that was lacking this past week.

Edited by tokyotea
Fat thumbs

Of all the "pay" restaurants, we absolutely love the Sabor Mexican restaurant. We don't do many "pay" restaurants because we find the MDR to be generally pretty good. When do decide to pay extra, I would rather go to the Sabor than to any other restaurant.

Of all the "pay" restaurants, we absolutely love the Sabor Mexican restaurant. We don't do many "pay" restaurants because we find the MDR to be generally pretty good. When do decide to pay extra, I would rather go to the Sabor than to any other restaurant.

I completely agree! Sabor was the one meal all week that we truly enjoyed. :)

We are jumping ship from Disney due to high prices. We are cruising on the Liberty soon. This will be our first cruise on RCCL. After reading through some posts, it seems that the food on the Liberty is not very good. Is that your impression? Can you give me advice on the food and the restaurants? Thanks !

We found that the meat in the main dining room was always overcooked. The selection was lacking compared to other ships in Royal's Fleet. The Windjammer offered a nice breakfast and lunch selection. We chose to eat at Johnny Rockets one night and the food was good.