Need baggage insurance ONLY

Hi,

So, not a cruise trip but this is the only forum I know of that includes a travel insurance forum so thought I would try here. I am taking a safari to Africa in July. Comprehensive travel insurance (trip cancellation, etc) is flat out too expensive (I know, part of the cost the trip, could be out everything if we don't go, etc. I'm not going to complain if that happens). What I am purchasing is travel medical insurance (through geo blue). I also am renting about $2,000 in camera equipment to take that I would like to have some coverage on for theft/damage. The company that rents the equipment will offer damage coverage for $40, and worst case scenario I'll take that. But ideally I'd like something that covers theft as well. Any experience in insurance like that? I tried American Express, and they do offer baggage only coverage, but they will only cover $300 per item, and I need $1,000 per item. Any suggestions?

Hi,

So, not a cruise trip but this is the only forum I know of that includes a travel insurance forum so thought I would try here. I am taking a safari to Africa in July. Comprehensive travel insurance (trip cancellation, etc) is flat out too expensive (I know, part of the cost the trip, could be out everything if we don't go, etc. I'm not going to complain if that happens). What I am purchasing is travel medical insurance (through geo blue). I also am renting about $2,000 in camera equipment to take that I would like to have some coverage on for theft/damage. The company that rents the equipment will offer damage coverage for $40, and worst case scenario I'll take that. But ideally I'd like something that covers theft as well. Any experience in insurance like that? I tried American Express, and they do offer baggage only coverage, but they will only cover $300 per item, and I need $1,000 per item. Any suggestions?

Given that your situation isn't travel-specific (you could be renting the photo equipment to take photos of the grandchildren or favorite pet!), have you asked your homeowner's insurer if there is a rider they could sell you?

Make SURE that you do explain that it is rented equipment (not sure if that matters) and exactly where you will be, etc.

It's worth a call, I'd think.

Good luck, and could you let us know?

Yeah, I'm going to try that tomorrow. My thought process on that was that they cover the things I own, and I don't own this. So, would be surprised if they would cover it, but I will check.

Yeah, I'm going to try that tomorrow. My thought process on that was that they cover the things I own, and I don't own this. So, would be surprised if they would cover it, but I will check.

Another thought: Might the rental company offer extra insurance coverage for loss/theft/etc., for an extra fee?

If so, might be sort of expensive, given the relatively high risk, but at least you'd be able to relax a bit (which is why the coverage might be $$$ if available...!).

You might want to consider going to one of the comparison sites (insuremytrip, tripinsurancestore, squaremouth) and populate zero (0) for the trip cost. I did that on insuremytrip, and it returned many comprehensive packages that contained baggage insurance of varying amounts. I don't know that any of them will be as high as you are looking for. However, perhaps if you use one of those policies in conjunction with coverage you MIGHT have with your credit card, perhaps that will come close???

So, just wanted to update. No, the rental company didn't offer ANY theft insurance options. And all the trip insurance policies I looked at had similar limits on per item cost. I don't know if buying multiple policies would have helped (would have needed about 3 $300 limits for full coverage). But ended up ditching the rental option and buying a camera that was in between a point and shoot and a professional version. (Got a canon power shot xs60) Cost about twice the price of the rental, but have it forever and not on the hook for $2,000 worth of camera equipment now.

• 3 weeks later...

Check your credit card benefits page for coverage of the new camera and other "lost luggage" benefit. This little gem is part of our Capital One Venture card -- the insurance benefits come from Visa Signature status. Some really good insurance benefits I just bothered to read about this year!