Passports? ID's?

I've travelled internationally all my life, for both pleasure and business, and lived in Europe for extended periods of time pre EU. It was only when I joined Cruise Critic that I became aware of people who seem to resist carrying their passport while travelling in a foreign country. Personally, I don't understand the great reluctance to carry one's passport; there are few if any other official government-issued documents that are as enabling when abroad.

We use our previous, now expired DL, so there's no real lost if they are lost on shore, as our government issues ID when on port stops and never have had a problem. Port security just check that the name matches your Seapass card and that picture is of the person showing these. They are not concerned whether these are current or not, just that they are government issued. ;)

I've travelled internationally all my life, for both pleasure and business, and lived in Europe for extended periods of time pre EU. It was only when I joined Cruise Critic that I became aware of people who seem to resist carrying their passport while travelling in a foreign country. Personally, I don't understand the great reluctance to carry one's passport; there are few if any other official government-issued documents that are as enabling when abroad.
My reluctance is that on Bermuda/Caribbean cruises, we usually go to the beach or go snokeling, or other water based excursion. We often have to leave our belongings unattended on the beach or on the excursion boat while we swim/snorkle, so the concern about having our passports stolen is very real.

My reluctance is that on Bermuda/Caribbean cruises, we usually go to the beach or go snokeling, or other water based excursion. We often have to leave our belongings unattended on the beach or on the excursion boat while we swim/snorkle, so the concern about having our passports stolen is very real.

As a scuba diver and snorkeler, I spend a lot of time in, on and under the water. I always have a couple of watertight containers that hold my glasses, iPhone, passport, SeaPass, car keys (we often rent a vehicle), DL (if renting car), some money and a credit card or two. No worries.

Some people can't fathom the idea that the Passport is the document they NEED while overseas. They think it's for getting off the ship but don't realize that while in a Foreign country that's their only official ID, their access to consulate/embassy facilities and services as well as the document that allows someone to be notified in an emergency.

Pure ignorance, in some cases.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I was explaining what we do,you don't have to go along with it so just do your thing

You actually were making it sound like you were trying to tell others what to do. You flat out said "never take your passport" and "I wouldn't take my drivers license." True, no one has to do what you say, but it did sound like you were telling others what to do. ;)

We take our passports because we want them stamped in every country we visit.

Most ports don't stamp your passport. I guess maybe you can ask, but they don't routinely do it.

The concern about taking the passports off with you is "what if you get robbed or you lose it?"

The concern about NOT taking the passports off with you is "what if something happens and you miss the ship and now need to take a plane internationally?"

Choose what YOU are most worried about. And go with that. (and with what that country and the cruiseline needs to get you back onboard)

Exactly. The passport takers and the non-takers will never agree, so decide which risk worries you more and go with it.

Chances are it won't matter either way. If you take it and lose it/get robbed, it's not the end of the world. Chances are you won't suddenly need to fly home so you won't miss it, and can replace it when you get home. Some people probably fear having to pay for a replacement though. Conversely if you don't take it and suddenly miss the ship for whatever reason, you CAN get a replacement and/or fly home without one, but it may take a while to get a replacement (if it's a weekend or holiday) and it will be a hassle at the airport if you don't have one.

The concern about taking the passports off with you is "what if you get robbed or you lose it?"

The concern about NOT taking the passports off with you is "what if something happens and you miss the ship and now need to take a plane internationally?"

Choose what YOU are most worried about. And go with that. (and with what that country and the cruiseline needs to get you back onboard)

Exactly. The passport takers and the non-takers will never agree, so decide which risk worries you more and go with it.

Chances are it won't matter either way. If you take it and lose it/get robbed, it's not the end of the world. Chances are you won't suddenly need to fly home so you won't miss it, and can replace it when you get home. Some people probably fear having to pay for a replacement though. Conversely if you don't take it and suddenly miss the ship for whatever reason, you CAN get a replacement and/or fly home without one, but it may take a while to get a replacement (if it's a weekend or holiday) and it will be a hassle at the airport if you don't have one. So again, decide which risk/hassle worries you more and act accordingly.

Chances are it won't matter either way. If you take it and lose it/get robbed, it's not the end of the world. Chances are you won't suddenly need to fly home so you won't miss it, and can replace it when you get home. Some people probably fear having to pay for a replacement though. Conversely if you don't take it and suddenly miss the ship for whatever reason, you CAN get a replacement and/or fly home without one, but it may take a while to get a replacement (if it's a weekend or holiday) and it will be a hassle at the airport if you don't have one. So again, decide which risk/hassle worries you more and act accordingly.

Exactly:)

But the debate will resurface here periodically. And as noted in another post, the two sides will never agree, there is no right answer just opinions:D

Edited by bouhunter

We've traveled internationally as well. And the only time I've ever actually needed my passport was crossing a border or checking into a hotel (checking into a international trip via ship or plane is crossing borders). And even that has reduced- as crossing most EU borders doesn't require it.

If I were driving, I would take it, as it goes with the international drivers licence we normally get (but it's not required, either).

When in other countries- we tend to lock our passports in the room safe, as they are just not needed.

Unless you expect to have an emergency trip across a major border without going back to your hotel, I suppose.

You see a reluctance of taking it, others see a lack of need of taking it. It's up to the individual to decide that one.

Edited by alfaeric

Typically you need your sea pass card and a form of ID, like a driver's license. I know in St Kitts that's what they want and in Nassau as well. St Thomas is US territory so they'll likely want the same - its been so long since I've been in St Thomas I can't recall tbh but I'm fairly certain you can leave your passport in your safe in all 3 of these stops.

A photocopy of a passport is also sufficient as ID if you are concerned about taking yours off the ship.

Consider me taking photocopies of my friends passports and then using it as ID to help get some island locals of the island????

Is there any country out there which indicates that a photocopy of a passport is acceptable as ID?

I'm not even sure a photocopy of my license could get me out of a ticket (but I have one just in case :D)

We've traveled internationally as well. And the only time I've ever actually needed my passport was crossing a border or checking into a hotel (checking into a international trip via ship or plane is crossing borders). And even that has reduced- as crossing most EU borders doesn't require it.

If I were driving, I would take it, as it goes with the international drivers licence we normally get (but it's not required, either).

When in other countries- we tend to lock our passports in the room safe, as they are just not needed.

Unless you expect to have an emergency trip across a major border without going back to your hotel, I suppose.

You see a reluctance of taking it, others see a lack of need of taking it. It's up to the individual to decide that one.

As you say, two different perspectives. I suppose I see it a bit like insurance: I may not need it if all goes right, but it surely is comforting to know that I have it if something goes wrong. :)

This is kinda off topic, but is probably more useful in some circumstances than a SeaPass, Driver's License, or Passport: The contact names, addresses, and phone numbers for the port of call on the Cruise Compass. Prior to my last cruise, I didn't take the Compass with me off the ship (why bother?). I started taking a photo of that info (I guess light dawned), so I'd have it on my phone, just in case. However you choose to do it, consider having those names, addresses, and phone numbers with you while in port.

Well, the State Department suggests a copy of a good picture of it to get a replacement.

Under the "what do I need to replace my passport"

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

So, yea, a copy and/or picture of it would come rather handy.

They can look it all up. The photocopy just shows them they info they can get, and will still look up.

Yes. All the yesses in the world. :)

"Witz See It Safe Water Resistant Passport Case for Scuba Divers".

Plop "B00DKNBTVI" into an amazon.com search field or use "B005H4SWIQ" on the Canadian site.

And there are plenty of other waterproof things you can put your important info in!

They can look it all up. The photocopy just shows them they info they can get, and will still look up.

I'm just reporting what the US State Department wants when you lose or have your passport stolen.

If you don't think they need what they say they want, well, that's up to you.

For anyone with a Passport, I'd suggest reading about it from directly from them. It's quite informative.