River cruising in France in November?

CherylCT

Hello: There seem to be some very good deals with Viking for the Paris/Normandy cruise. I know the weather isn't the greatest for that time of year but is it a deal breaker? Also, I've read that the port in France isn't ideal either. Thoughts? p.s. this would be our first river cruise. We are 50-somethings. Is the demographic a lot older?

Edited by CherylCT

Weather is never a deal breaker for me, personally - depends on you & what you want to do/see.

We frequently travel to Europe during shoulder seasons - usually November (great airfares to leave the US over Thanksgiving ;)) We have a lot of goretex clothing & walking shoes and we just go have fun!

Not sure specific dates, but if you go very late in Nov, you might get to some Christmas Markets. We've seen them in Paris & Amsterdam during land trips in late November. (our Christmas Market river cruise we did was a little later - I think we departed Dec 10 or so)

(also, my husband and I were 41 & 46 when we did the river cruise - yes, the demographic is older - our parents were with us, in their mid-60s to 70 - but because we were a little later there were some families on board too - holiday time. On the other hand, I don't really care about ages - as long as I don't have to walk in a slow tour group, I'm happy - and they do have different walking speed tour groups :-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

Be aware that because of the size of the Viking ships you will not dock in Paris or in Honfleur. All the other cruise lines dock right in Paris, and a few are able to dock in Honfleur.

There are other threads about Viking in Paris. At this time Viking does not dock in PAris All the other lines do. I don't know if this is a deal breaker. That said I took the Avalon Paris Normandy cruise and we loved the itinerary and river cruise experience. We were early 50's

Weather is never a deal breaker for me, personally - depends on you & what you want to do/see.

We frequently travel to Europe during shoulder seasons - usually November (great airfares to leave the US over Thanksgiving ;)) We have a lot of goretex clothing & walking shoes and we just go have fun!

Not sure specific dates, but if you go very late in Nov, you might get to some Christmas Markets. We've seen them in Paris & Amsterdam during land trips in late November. (our Christmas Market river cruise we did was a little later - I think we departed Dec 10 or so)

(also, my husband and I were 41 & 46 when we did the river cruise - yes, the demographic is older - our parents were with us, in their mid-60s to 70 - but because we were a little later there were some families on board too - holiday time. On the other hand, I don't really care about ages - as long as I don't have to walk in a slow tour group, I'm happy - and they do have different walking speed tour groups :-)

We often travel to Europe mid to late November as that is our wedding anniversary, as well as a less busy time.

We have been to France 4 times in mid to late November and would choose that hands down over any of the summer months (been there, done that and never again).

We pack for the weather and it is not a factor for us. We appreciate the lower airfares and hotel rates, the smaller number of tourists, and if our timing is really good, we are able to enjoy the holiday decorations and events as well.

As for the demographic, we have found AMA to skew the youngest and to offer the most in terms of active tours and varied entertainment. Their wine theme and holiday season cruises do attract a younger demographic.

Viking does not work to appeal to a younger market (as stated by their CEO on more than one occasion, they market to and gear their product for the senior market) and personally would not be my choice. A cheaper price does not always equate to a better value IMO. YMMV.

Edited by caviargal

OP, it would probably be most helpful in terms of responses to know why you're considering a river cruise at this time, and what about the France itinerary is appealing to you.

(caviargal - our anniversary is Oct 28 but we do often wait a little later in the season to travel for better prices:p We're not hung up on dates - our 15th anniversary trip wasn't Oct 2015 but Jan 2016 because of my business travel in Nov & Dec. Trip was still a great time and we still celebrated:D)

(caviargal - our anniversary is Oct 28 but we do often wait a little later in the season to travel for better prices:p We're not hung up on dates - our 15th anniversary trip wasn't Oct 2015 but Jan 2016 because of my business travel in Nov & Dec. Trip was still a great time and we still celebrated:D)

You have the excellent example of the Queen's Birthday. QEII [the person, not the ship] was born on April 21, but they very wisely schedule the celebration in mid-May when the weather is better!

As someone whose birthday is April 22, Earth Day is my Birthday and I usually spend time gardening:D Weather is PERFECT in April here in NC;)

Now, if my birthday were Dec 25, I'd definitely celebrate on my half-birthday or something:eek:

Ours is Nov 25th and we try to travel within a month or so of our date, either way.

My birthday is April 18th and this year we flew to France on the 25th. No penalties for excessive or extended celebration (except in football of course).:)

My dad and I are sailing on 11/11/16 with some others we know. We are first-time river cruisers. I'll be 36 and the rest of the group is in their 60s. We chose the date because of the 2 for 1 and free airfare, otherwise Viking probably wouldn't be feasible for us.

As far as weather, I'm planning on 40s-50s and rain. We're also aware that the Monet gardens are closed and it's too early for Christmas markets. I'm interested to hear what others have experienced in November weather on this trip.

I have often travelled in France in November and the weather can be quite pleasant, even in Paris. Having said that, I would not choose a river cruise from Paris to Normandy in November. As others have pointed out, one of the prime attractions, Monet's garden at Giverny, will be closed. As well, one should be aware that Normandy is at a fairly northern latitude, about the same as Winnipeg Canada, and while it will be nowhere nearly as cold as Winnipeg at that time because of the Gulf Stream, there will be only be about 9 1/2 hours of daylight or less depending on the time of month.

The real deal-breaker for me is that Viking ships berth at LePecq, far from the centre of Paris. Check out the many threads on this subject. One of the joys of river cruising is that in most cities and towns the ship berths very close to centre and one can simply and easily walk into the heart of the city.

I would prefer a Rhône cruise in November, but of course that would not be quite the bargain that Viking is offering for its Normandy cruise. It might offer better value though.