Question about "upsell" please and thank you

We sail June 3, and don't know if it would be considered an upgrade or upsell. We ended up paying an additional $400 pp to go from balcony to aft penthouse. Because we had gotten such a fantastic price to begin with on our balcony, what we ended up paying in total for the PH is the normal going rate on this cruise for a balcony.

Frankly, I was certain she had made a mistake when she quoted the price, but I said "I'll take it! Here's my card number!". Not until I confirmed my reservation (and my reservation number did not change btw) on NCL and credit card charge did I tell anyone.

I'm curious. You said your reservation number didn't change. Does that mean that if you had booked any restaurants or shows, you were able to keep all those reservations (since they are confirmed under your same reservation number)?

Yes, I thought it odd since it almost seemed like my TA gave me a new booking. I expected my reservation number to change and to have to sort out the booked spa passes, etc., but it was all there under my original reservation number. When I first spoke to a different rep at my TA, she told me that I would lose any perks associated with my original booking. With everything that came with the PH suite, I got everything I had plus. The only thing I'm not sure of is the on board credit that was coming directly from the TA in the original booking. It wasn't much, so I won't miss it. Her email to me confirming credit card authorization called it an "upgrade" charge.

Yes, I thought it odd since it almost seemed like my TA gave me a new booking. I expected my reservation number to change and to have to sort out the booked spa passes, etc., but it was all there under my original reservation number. When I first spoke to a different rep at my TA, she told me that I would lose any perks associated with my original booking. With everything that came with the PH suite, I got everything I had plus. The only thing I'm not sure of is the on board credit that was coming directly from the TA in the original booking. It wasn't much, so I won't miss it. Her email to me confirming credit card authorization called it an "upgrade" charge.

They don't change reservation numbers apparently. :confused: My May 29th to Bermuda was originally an inside cabin for 4 days on the Sky out of Miami. They cancelled that cruise due to a dry dock and I rebooked it into this one. Went from the Sky to the Breakaway, from an inside to a studio, went from 4 days in January to 7 days in May/June, went from sailing out of Miami to sailing out of NY, AND I recently got an upsell to a Haven Spa Suite. :D I STILL have the same reservation number!:eek:

I am sailing on the Getaway in July and would love to get an upsell. Where can you find the phone number to call and when would be the best time to call to possibly get the best deal?

Thanks,

They seem to start with offering Minisuite & Balcony staterooms the upsells first, and then opening it up to Oceanview & Insides later. They usually don't start offering upsells until 30 days prior to sailing, but keep an eye on your roll call - someone may post that they received an upsell email. It will also depend on how many rooms they have left as to when they start offering and to whom. The more that are available, the sooner and more people they'll offer upsells to.

Good luck!

I am on the Getaway 5/29 and I called the upsell line. I went from a guarantee balcony to a H9 Haven spa suite with balcony for $750 pp. I've heard of others on my same sailing getting the same for $500 pp and $1000 pp. I'm not sure what the price difference is based on. This is my 2nd time sailing NCL and I have never received an upsell email.

We will be sailing with you - what room did you get - we got 14134 - 2 weeks we will be relaxing.

Has anybody ever tried to negotiate with the upsell dept? For example, being told the upsell price is $300, and asking if the price could be dropped to $250?

Yes, they will sometimes negotiate. They offered me a haven aft penthouse on Escape for $2,000 total ($1,000 pp). There were 3 left. I asked if they would take $750, she put me on hold to talk to an "analyst" and came back and said the lowest they would take was $850. I took it. One day later all 3 afts were sold. I saved $300 just by asking - I would have paid the higher price. Just remember there is no obligation on NCL's part to take a lower price, but they sometimes will.

I rarely see of a post where someone paid less than $500 per person to upgrade to The Haven and rarely do I see anyone posting about being able to upsell to a balcony or minisuite, just to set expectations accordingly. It seems the upsell department mainly focuses on filling The Haven.

Edited by MikeBTN

• 7 months later...
Here you go.

Like my father always said....

"if I always give you the answer, you will never be self sufficient...... the answer is there, don't take the shortcut and have someone else do the work"

That's why I said the answer was already in the thread..... a simple read of the thread would've provided the answer about 5 posts prior to their asking..... Cruise Critic has a neat feature called "search" and lastly, Google would have returned a dozen hits with the upsell phone number.

Before I get flamed because "a forum is a safe place to ask the same question that's been answered dozens of times"........ it's also a safe place for people to remind others of other avenues for answers so they may find answers

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

So pleased to get an upsell email from NCL on our just completed cruise. Often I think TAs have not passed along any upgrade offers if they existed. We had the opportunity to bid on an upgrade from an inside to an OV and to a balcony. I bid $100pp for the balcony and it was accepted.

I am a happy customer! I'd thought not to buy the usual future cruise certificate we usually buy but instead I bought two of them! This and the superb entertainment did the trick!

So pleased to get an upsell email from NCL on our just completed cruise. Often I think TAs have not passed along any upgrade offers if they existed. We had the opportunity to bid on an upgrade from an inside to an OV and to a balcony. I bid $100pp for the balcony and it was accepted.

I am a happy customer! I'd thought not to buy the usual future cruise certificate we usually buy but instead I bought two of them! This and the superb entertainment did the trick!

Congratulations on the successful upsell email! Those of us with upcoming cruises are looking forward to our own possible upsells. Sounds like you got a great deal and so happy you enjoyed your cruise:D