Celebrity Excursion to Berlin via train-worth it?

I am trying to decide if I want to take Celebrity's train excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin and if its worth the extra money. I'm a little worried about spending 3 hrs on a bus with no bathroom (I know they make a 30 min comfort stop) vs being on a train with bathrooms and that offers coffee and snacks during the 3 hr trip. Its the same travel time with either independent tour via bus and the Celebrity tour via train. Its about $ 100 pp more expensive by train. I'd appreciate any input on both of the options.

Teanne

I am trying to decide if I want to take Celebrity's train excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin and if its worth the extra money. I'm a little worried about spending 3 hrs on a bus with no bathroom (I know they make a 30 min comfort stop) vs being on a train with bathrooms and that offers coffee and snacks during the 3 hr trip. Its the same travel time with either independent tour via bus and the Celebrity tour via train. Its about $ 100 pp more expensive by train. I'd appreciate any input on both of the options.

Teanne

we decided against the cruise line train excursion after being advised on these boards that the trains chartered by the cruiselines are old stock and not air conditioned -Germany can get hot during the summer!

We used SPB with a bus from port to Berlin and travel time was nearer 2 1/2 hours each way and comfort stop at a motorway service station

We had a full bus with 40 plus but on arrival in Berlin we spilt into 3 groups -ours was a minivan of 12

That gave us much more flexibility with our guide

Does the Celebrity excursion include a guide once you get to Berlin or is it merely transport?

If merely transport there and back for $100 pp more then definitely go for private

actually even if includes guide would personally still go for private as was a much more personalised tour than what we heard from fellow cruisers who took the ships excursions

We have chosen the Princess train to Berlin in June rather than the private tours. Two reasons, train appears to be more comfortable, will find out. Second we had a scary experience in Sth America when our private tour bus broke down sone 20 kms from port.

I know the private tour companies give you a next port guarantee but with such long distances I prefer the security of a ship tour if there are any unexpected delays particularly with situation in Europe at present.

we decided against the cruise line train excursion after being advised on these boards that the trains chartered by the cruiselines are old stock and not air conditioned -Germany can get hot during the summer!

We used SPB with a bus from port to Berlin and travel time was nearer 2 1/2 hours each way and comfort stop at a motorway service station

Several years ago while on a Baltic cruise, we booked with Alla Tours for exactly the same reason - no air conditioning on the cruise trains to Berlin and this was for transportation only ($100). With Alla, we had a guided tour of Berlin upon arrival & then transfer back to Warnemunde (Berlin Grand Tour - $100 per person). I believe that the guided tour (train to Berlin & then guided tour of Berlin) was in the neighborhood of $399 per person when booked through our cruise ship. :eek: Although I have been to Berlin multiple times & know my way around fairly well, for a cruise port stop in Warnemunde, it made sense (both logistically and economically) to take an organized tour with a reputable tour company as some in our party had never visited Berlin & were able to see as much as possible in a short amount of time.

Well after reading a lot of posts and actually talking to someone at Celebrity-we have decided to take Celebrity's "Berlin From All Sides-by train". Celebrity told me that the trains are very nice and all have a/c. The train we'll be on is just for the tour passengers from Silhouette. I had heard someone say that the trains were the old ones which were taken out of service and they didn't have a/c. The lady at Celebrity said that was not true. They charter the train and they are clean and nice and "first class all the way". So thats another decision made for this cruise that is in May 2017. Wish it wasn't a year until the cruise-I'm ready to go now :)

Teanne

Several years ago while on a Baltic cruise, we booked with Alla Tours for exactly the same reason - no air conditioning on the cruise trains to Berlin and this was for transportation only ($100). With Alla, we had a guided tour of Berlin upon arrival & then transfer back to Warnemunde (Berlin Grand Tour - $100 per person). I believe that the guided tour (train to Berlin & then guided tour of Berlin) was in the neighborhood of $399 per person when booked through our cruise ship. :eek: Although I have been to Berlin multiple times & know my way around fairly well, for a cruise port stop in Warnemunde, it made sense (both logistically and economically) to take an organized tour with a reputable tour company as some in our party had never visited Berlin & were able to see as much as possible in a short amount of time.

I spoke with Celebrity shore excursions today and was told that they charter one of the regular in use trains and its only for their tour passengers. I was told that the train is nice and clean and does have a/c. They promised me it was "first class all the way". If the buses with Alla Tours had bathrooms in them, I would've just taken the bus tour but I know that if I'm told I have to wait to go to the bathroom until the "comfort stop" then I'll need to go right at that time. I've only taken 1 Celebrity tour and it was great but other than that I usually do private tours. I'm going to trust Celebrity since they've never let me down and they are our favorite cruise line.

Teanne

We are booked on Princess train to Berlin in June, so will let you know what it is like. I like Celebrity best but I am Elite on Princess and that sways who I cruise with.

I believe the tours would be fairly similar, I have a tour which takes the train almost to Berlin then that group gets off and visits a concentration camp, then bus to Berlin and city tour and lunch before training back to ship. Big day but it is probably my one chance t see Berlin.

We are booked on Princess train to Berlin in June, so will let you know what it is like. I like Celebrity best but I am Elite on Princess and that sways who I cruise with.

I believe the tours would be fairly similar, I have a tour which takes the train almost to Berlin then that group gets off and visits a concentration camp, then bus to Berlin and city tour and lunch before training back to ship. Big day but it is probably my one chance t see Berlin.

Yes I would love to hear all about this trip when you get back next month. I'm sure its probably the same for Princess as it is for Celebrity. We looked at the same tour that goes to the concentration camp but decided on the all day in Berlin tour. Wish we were going to be there for 2 days and we could stay overnight in Berlin and have 2 full days. Oh well.

Teanne

I have phoned Celebrity several times and they are not going to have the train tour anymore. Anyone else know about this? We do not want to take the bus because of bathroom issues.

Our cruise for May 2017 has several train tours into Berlin (and one to a concentration camp) listed on the Celebrity website. I spoke with someone yesterday at Celebrity with several questions about the train and was told that they do have the train just for the cruise tour passengers. I think what they have done away with is the train that just transports to Berlin but no actual tour. I heard they have done away with that.

Teanne