white pants

I wore white capris for many of our excursions last year in mid-late September on our Med cruise. Many, many others did as well. I also wore white dress pants and white dressy jeans several evenings. I plan to do the same this September on our Spain/Portugal cruise. BTW I am North Carolina southern girl and most definitely wear white pants well before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. My 80 year old mother does as well though she probably wouldn't have 20 years ago.

The dates for wearing white don't matter anymore ...

Climate & fabric would be my only considerations ...

Although I believe in some countries white is considered mourning ... ? But maybe that's head-to-toe white, not simply pants.

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing a Baltic cruise the first week of June. Will I look out of place wearing white pants on the ship at night?

I love wearing white long pants with a white tank/camisole in the evenings. I have a variety of silky/chiffon evening jackets that have white in the that I wear with the pants and top. Silver sandals, and I'm all set for the evening.

I even wore them with a lovely lavender crepe poncho with cystal beading for formal night on a HAL cruise.

Eh, I will silently judge the crap out of anyone wearing white linen when it's 35 degrees outside. And very possibly someone wearing linen of any sort to a Thanksgiving dinner. I'm old fashioned and I have no problem with that. There are certain things I will or will not wear based on what I think is appropriate.

...But I do always caution people to think about climate and expectations when packing.

I agree! The Baltics average 50-60 during June. For that reason, as well as the impracticality overall of white for travel IMO, the white pants/capris/skirts would stay at home.

I love the look of tailored winter white trousers in a substantial fabric for cooler months but would not personally choose to pack white capris, jeans, etc, for those temps in the Baltic.

We travel to Europe fairly often. I choose my clothing based on season, practicality for travel, functionality (does it travel well, can I mix and match easily, can I wear more than once) and what I feel is appropriate for the destination and the weather.

We leave for Portugal in 6 weeks and it will be quite warm. I will not be packing white for that trip for those same reasons.

Edited by caviargal

We leave for Portugal in 6 weeks and it will be quite warm.

Can't wait to hear about your trip! We finally identified a rental for our Portugal trip in September - my job today is to send the deposit:D We decided to stay in Sesimbra.....

Can't wait to hear about your trip! We finally identified a rental for our Portugal trip in September - my job today is to send the deposit:D We decided to stay in Sesimbra.....

Portugal has been on my list for a long time and we are very excited! While we generally avoid summer due to heat and crowds, our ability to travel these days is dependent on coordinating family members to stay with my mom while we are gone, as she is not in good health. We take what we can get :)