Is a passport enough

lbfluffy

I once entered Port Everglades, and showed a passport.

The rent-a-cop said that since I was driving, I had to show a drivers

license.

I think he was wrong, but it was pretty clear I had to do it his

way, or I wasn't going to pass.

Some rent-a-cops can be extremely annoying and often officious. They have no real standing but love to pretend they do and exert their "authority". Others do their job fine and are good folks. It's unfortunate you got one of the j@ck@$$ types.

He had no lawful reason to request my driver's license, as

he wasn't a sworn law enforcement officer.

It's a violation of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act.

Explaining this to a rent-a-cop would be like showing a card-trick

to a dog.

He doesn't have to be a sworn law enforcement officer to request your DL. Any gov't agency in furtherance of its duties may request it. Your employer, a business to verify correct personal info, private toll transport facilities, etc. The list goes on and on. I don't know whether Port Everglades is part of a gov't agency, but if it is, the guard can request your DL. That being said, the Port's website says you must produce a gov't-issued photo ID (DL or Passport). So I suppose you can choose which you produce.

That being said, the Port's website says you must produce a gov't-issued photo ID (DL or Passport). So I suppose you can choose which you produce.

I did. I showed a valid united states passport.

Entry was refused.

It would be nice if they followed their own posted rules.

Lawfully, only a sworn law enforcement officer can COMPEL

you to produce a drivers license while driving.

I did. I showed a valid united states passport.

Entry was refused.

It would be nice if they followed their own posted rules.

Lawfully, only a sworn law enforcement officer can COMPEL

you to produce a drivers license while driving.

I agree. If the website reflects either passport of DL, you should be able to choose which one. Thanks for the clarification re: "compel."

You should keep personal identification with you at all times such as; DL

Technically in the United States, it is not a crime, nor is it required to always carry identification. But, it is a good idea to have something just in case. If you don't have some kind of ID and for some reason you do get into a "sticky" situation, you may be detained (not arrested as there is no crime) until your identity can be verified by some other means.

Do I need to bring my drivers license as well? I dropped it at Disneyland and am hoping it is found before my June 20th cruise. I know I can get another one, but I was going to see if perhaps maintenance finds it near one of the rides.

Maybe not. When we entered Port Everglades last November, the security guard wanted to see a drivers license and a passport. Had to get out of the car to get the license which was in the trunk.

You should keep personal identification with you at all times such as; DL

OR, a passport. I don't drive any longer so my ID is the Passport Card. Yes, I could get a State ID, but CA's is good for only 5 years while the passport is valid for ten years.

• 4 months later...

Ok, so just to be clear, I am going on a New England / Canada cruise. When we go into port in Rhode Island, Boston and Bar Harbor, I don't need to take my passport with me. I just need my princess cruise card and DL to get back on board the ship. What about in Canada? Do I need to carry my passport?

On our B2B cruise last month Princess collected our passports twice as required by the countries we were visiting. We were told that we needed our DL (or other government issued ID) to reboard the ship. One port we visited we were told to take our passports as that country would only accept a passport as identification to reboard the ship (never had to show it). So you ask where were these two third world countries that required passports be collected? They were Ireland and Iceland. What country required everyone to carry their passports? Netherlands.

Last year we were on a cruise where Princess took our passports when we checked in and returned them the night before we deboarded. We needed a government photo ID at all ports we visited. Be prepared when cruising to different parts of the world. This was the South American cruise around the horn.

Edited by satxdiver

Ok, so just to be clear, I am going on a New England / Canada cruise. When we go into port in Rhode Island, Boston and Bar Harbor, I don't need to take my passport with me. I just need my princess cruise card and DL to get back on board the ship. What about in Canada? Do I need to carry my passport?

We did the New England/Canada Cruise last October. Canada did not require US citizens to carry their passports on land but did of course require a government ID. We did the cruise from Quebec to NYC.

Technically in the United States, it is not a crime, nor is it required to always carry identification. But, it is a good idea to have something just in case. If you don't have some kind of ID and for some reason you do get into a "sticky" situation, you may be detained (not arrested as there is no crime) until your identity can be verified by some other means.

Different states have different laws concerning ID. In Texas in order to operate a motor vehicle, you must have your DL with you. Failure to do so will result in a ticket and appearance before a judge. In addition to that you have to have a government ID to buy alcohol, consume alcohol or visit a bar.

Different states have different laws concerning ID. In Texas in order to operate a motor vehicle, you must have your DL with you. Failure to do so will result in a ticket and appearance before a judge. In addition to that you have to have a government ID to buy alcohol, consume alcohol or visit a bar.

That's true for California, Arizona and many other states. However, I was not referring to driving nor purchasing alcohol and so on. Yes, certain activities may require ID but if you're not engaging in said activities, it is still not required that you carry ID, though it is a good idea. Kind of like arriving a day early for your cruise.

"Sticky" means there is probable cause to believe a crime was committed and you might have done it. So you will be detained (that's another word for pretty much arrested) while the incident is being investigated and part of that investigation will be until you prove your identity. Contrary to the above posting, you can only be detained if there is a crime. You can be handcuffed, put in a police car, and even taken to the station; while under detention.

If you are just walking down the street minding your own business you do not have to identify yourself to a peace officer or anybody else.

That being said, if you are entering the port (a secured area just like an airport) and therefore you play by their rules or they don't let you in.

BTW: private security has authority to ask for government ID in certain circumstances. SFO doesn't have TSA agents. They use private security like a few other airports. They have the same authority to make you show your government ID as any other airport. I guess it just depends on what you want to show them.

Driving onto port property it is reasonable for the guard to ask the driver for proof of a driving license and maybe even registration and insurance. Now if I was the passenger and my passport wasn't good enough I might take exception and tell them I don't have one.

Sometimes you might be correct, but that doesn't mean you are right.

Edited by jamesr3939