NYC - Red Roof Inn Manhattan

I had some frieands stay there a few years ago. It is a clean, basic hotel, not much light (the nearby Empire State Building tends to block the sun). Try not to get a room facing the street because (as with most hotels in NYC) traffic noise can be a problem. A higher floor is better to avoid this. The hotel is in the heart of Manhattans' Koreatown so there will be a lot of foreign guests (which I find interesting) as well as some unique dining options nearby -- try the Korean BBQ at Kum Gan San just up the block. You're near Macy's and can walk to the Empire State Bldg and Times Sq.

Another friend visited over the summer and stayed a few blocks away (on 8th Ave) at the New Yorker Hotel. It is similar to the Red Roof and also a good value. The New Yorker is popular with international flight crews laying over in NYC.

How long will you be here before your (or after your cruise). Let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Thank you. I was reading tripadvisor.com and it had good reviews but I wanted the opinion of a cruisecritic 'friend'!

We are going to stay three nights post cruise and one night precruise. For precruise we are staying in Brooklyn at the same hotel Princess is offering but I booked myself at a much better rate. Princess is sailing out of Brooklyn at the new Red Amber Pier this coming summer (sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but I have no idea where any of these things are!!) So much to see and do....we've been making lists so we can narrow it down when it gets closer.

Is the Red Roof within reasonable walking distance to places like Rockefeller Center and other 'gotta see' places?

How about the Casablanca - we are really scouring the neighborhoods looking for a good fit!

What is the CAsablanca? Is that the name of a hotel?

I can't comment on hotels in terms of rooms or serrvice, however, I can give you feedback on the area, if you would post the address and/or cross streets of the hotels.

JAne

147 West 43rd. Street, New York, NY, 10036

Sorry - you're right, that wasn't much information! It is a hotel in/near Times Square. I have us booked for the Doubletree Metroplitan, near the Waldorf Astoria but husband has become involved in looking for better deals and what he thinks may be a better location....... The Casablanca does look fine, just want to be sure of the neighborhood.

Thank you.

The only problem with Times Square is all those darn tourists clogging the sidewalks.;)

I work a block from the hotel on 43rd Street between Bway & 8th. The area is prefectly safe and you're within walking distance of many sights of interest and a short subway ride from those farther afield. The Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood have both relocated to Times Square. There is a huge Virgin music store and a Toy R Us with an indoor ferris wheel in the area as well. You are also near the TKTS booth where you can by same day 1/2 price tickets for Bway and off-Bway shows. I think for a quick sight seeing tour this is one of the best locations in the city.

147 West 43rd. Street, New York, NY, 10036

Sorry - you're right, that wasn't much information! It is a hotel in/near Times Square. I have us booked for the Doubletree Metroplitan, near the Waldorf Astoria but husband has become involved in looking for better deals and what he thinks may be a better location....... The Casablanca does look fine, just want to be sure of the neighborhood.

Thank you.

Both area's are perfectly fine and so you might make your choice out of cost differentials.

As far as which area is preferential, it's really such a personal opinion, though it probably depends on what you want to see and do. If this is your first visit to NYC then you might want the Casablanca which is near Times Square and close to Broadway shows. There are some office buildings in the area but most of the time the foot traffic will be tourists not New Yorkers. Personally, I avoid the area and am only there when I'm going to the theatre. If you're planning on getting to a few shows and/or will be standing on the TKTS line for discount tickets, then this is the area I'd select. What I don't like about the area is that it's really for tourists and the restaurants and stores are often the same chains you'll find in your local mall only with higher prices. Please, don't come to NY and eat at a Hard Rock! We've got SO MUCH to offer in terms of great food at all price ranges. Exlpore our wonderful city and don't eat near your hotel if you stay here!

In terms of being within walking distance of many NYC sights, since they are scattered all around and we have a great mass transit system, there's really not a preferable area. Both hotels are within easy walking distance of Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, 5th Ave, Central Park. If you look at a NYC map, you'll see that the Doubletree is near Grand Central Station, so it's really not that far from the Casablanca. My personal choice would be the Doubletree location - but that's what makes horse races!

Jane

Thank you. I have another question....would it be better to try to get tickets to a show now or do you think we'd have a decent chance at the tkts place when we arrive? I know there is no way to guarantee just wondering what your opinion is. (I promise I won't come knocking at your door asking for a personal tour!!)

If you want to see a specific show, I'd advise getting the tickets now. This way, you'll be able to get better seats than if you waited until the last minute.....or the show could be sold out completely by the time you get here.

If you really don't care which show you see and simply want a Broadway show experience, then you could go the the big TKTS booth in Times Square and wait on line for tickets the day of the show. Prices are discounted anywhere from 20 - 50% and they take cash only (unless that's changed).

Have a look at Playbill.com for some reviews of shows to give you idea's. Also depending on when you're here there might be other things that you'd like to see such as a concert at Carnegie Hall (classical or jazz) or the ballet or opera at Lincoln Center or one of the modern dance companies performing at the Joyce Theatre in Chelsea or the City Center in midtown.

You didn't mention when you're coming, but in July and August there's "Dancing Under the Stars" which is free dancing to live swing band music by the fountain at Lincoln Center. Check the schedule for Lincoln Center online to see what's going on the dates you'll be here.

Jane

My pleasure to help. Sorry I can't recommend Broadway shows because I'm not a big fan of musicals, I prefer plays. However, I know Spamalot is excellent and I saw the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (because my 20 yo neice wanted to see it). It was cute.

I'm a big fan of dance performances and love the Joyce Theatre in Chelsea. They feature dance only performers and always have something interesting and different. (almost never a classical ballet. go to Lincoln Center for that) I think I saw in another thread that you'll be here in July, right? If so, check out the Joyce schedule and if Pilobulous is appearing when you're here, I'd say they're a "must see". I've got tickets for Savion Glover for this January and can't wait to see him perform again.

If you go to www.joyce.org you can see some of their line-up for this winter. Next summer's schedule isn't set yet, but three of the most popular dance company's - Pilobulous, Jennifer Muller/The Works and David Dorfman - are usally performaning in the summer time. You can read a bit about them by looking at previous summer line-ups. The theatre is in the heart of Chelsea and it's a wonderful neighborhood with great restaurants and shops to explore.

Jane

Thank you. I have another question....would it be better to try to get tickets to a show now or do you think we'd have a decent chance at the tkts place when we arrive? I know there is no way to guarantee just wondering what your opinion is. (I promise I won't come knocking at your door asking for a personal tour!!)

I usually go to NYC 4 times/year for theater. TKTS is a great option, also located on Water, off Fulton. But Playbill has some great offers and so does http://www.broadwaybox.com PRINT out all offers you care to consider. Easy to go direct to the box offices. For any discounts, it pays to be flexable, have several plays in mind. I most always hit TKTS about 1/2 hour before showtime, if Broadway show and have been very successful in getting late released house seats. I go so often that I have a wide range of shows of interest to me. IF you only have a couple, buy the tickets ahead.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I have stayed at the Red Roof Inn. Went out and about....Financial district, Bloomingdales, Grand Central Station, Garment District, Tavern on the Green......Chelsea district (fabric store) all using buses and subway and of course, walking. Felt extremely safe....easily navigated the transportation system...lots of interesting shops all along the way.....

I felt the neighbourhood was great....Starbucks on next corner....great deli across 6th ave......

The room was fine.....two beds....roomy enough...we happened to get a room with a gigantic bathroom....served as a dressing room as well. The room wasn't huge...but good enough for two shoppers who only slept there. There's a piano bar up on the 'mezzanine' level.

Would certainly go back. Hope this helps. Have a great stay in NYC!

Archived