Splendida Cabin information required please.

Tizzy

We have sailed with MSC before but we are not familiar with MSC Splendida and would really like to know a little more about the cabins we have been allocated. We are travelling with other members of the family and had hoped to have cabins next to one another but we werent given a choice. We have been allocated Deck 9. Our cabins are 9212 and 9236. We have looked at the Deck plan and one is next to the lifts and the other is right towards the back of the ship. Neither cabins are ideal as I suffer with motion sickness quite badly. I usually prefer to be mid ship. However we are happy to be on the ship full stop as flights were an issue with this Cruise and we had to try several agents before we finally got flights. If anyone has stayed in these cabins we would be very grateful for any information. Good or Bad ! I am presuming these cabins are unobstructed ? Just a bit worried one might be noisy next to the lift and the other might be a bit bouncy at the back of the ship especially going through the dreaded Bay of Biscay.

We have sailed with MSC before but we are not familiar with MSC Splendida and would really like to know a little more about the cabins we have been allocated. We are travelling with other members of the family and had hoped to have cabins next to one another but we werent given a choice. We have been allocated Deck 9. Our cabins are 9212 and 9236. We have looked at the Deck plan and one is next to the lifts and the other is right towards the back of the ship. Neither cabins are ideal as I suffer with motion sickness quite badly. I usually prefer to be mid ship. However we are happy to be on the ship full stop as flights were an issue with this Cruise and we had to try several agents before we finally got flights. If anyone has stayed in these cabins we would be very grateful for any information. Good or Bad ! I am presuming these cabins are unobstructed ? Just a bit worried one might be noisy next to the lift and the other might be a bit bouncy at the back of the ship especially going through the dreaded Bay of Biscay.

I'm guessing you're on the Oct 5th sailing from Southampton, as it is the only itinerary going the BoB.

the cabin #9236 will have a metal balcony "fence" not a plexiglass one. and have at least a partial metal surround which will limit the field of view when sitting but shouldn't be a problem when standing at the rail. Other than that I would expect them to be the same size, as or very similar to, the standard cabins on Divina 192 sq. ft. with a 42 sq. ft. balcony.

Pete

PS I'm on the 5th Oct sailing

Hi Skier52 and 1 fifthavenue. Thank you both for your replies. I really don't know what to do about these cabins! I feel a bit disappointed as this is the 4th Cruise we have booked with MSC albeit we had to cancel one due to circumstances beyond our control ! I would have hoped to have been given better cabins or at least a choice of cabins. Cabin 9236 concerns me the most as I have a slight disability and spend a lot of time on the balcony. I like to have a good view of whats going on. Presumably when you are sitting down you can't see much. Our only request was to be midship and we end up with a cabin last but one to the back of the ship ! The thing is if I ask to change a cabin we could end up worse off. I would prefer not to have a completely obstructed cabin or one with a connecting door. We had a child constantly banging on the door on another cruise we did. All the excitement of choosing a cruise goes when you realise you haven't got a cabin you like. I am hoping the cabin next to the lift wont throw up too many problems. Might be a bit noisy I suppose. Would you ask to change at least one of the cabins, or stay put ?

Hi Skier52 and 1 fifthavenue. Thank you both for your replies. I really don't know what to do about these cabins! I feel a bit disappointed as this is the 4th Cruise we have booked with MSC albeit we had to cancel one due to circumstances beyond our control ! I would have hoped to have been given better cabins or at least a choice of cabins. Cabin 9236 concerns me the most as I have a slight disability and spend a lot of time on the balcony. I like to have a good view of whats going on. Presumably when you are sitting down you can't see much. Our only request was to be midship and we end up with a cabin last but one to the back of the ship ! The thing is if I ask to change a cabin we could end up worse off. I would prefer not to have a completely obstructed cabin or one with a connecting door. We had a child constantly banging on the door on another cruise we did. All the excitement of choosing a cruise goes when you realise you haven't got a cabin you like. I am hoping the cabin next to the lift wont throw up too many problems. Might be a bit noisy I suppose. Would you ask to change at least one of the cabins, or stay put ?

I've put an image here of the balcony of the cabin equivalent to 9236 but on the other side of the ship. It's a nice clear image so you can see what the balcony will look like. The phrase I used was a limited field of view when sitting down. "Obstructed view" has specific meaning with regard to cruise ships in that a physical object, a lifeboat, large pillar, piece of machinery blocks some or all of the view.

This isn't the case here

I may have made it sound worse than it actually is

so see for yourself before you change cabins and end up in a worse position Possibly.

splendida%20opposite%20to%209236.jpg

Pete

We stayed in a cabin near the front lifts on Fantasia at Christmas time, it was generally ok, however there was the odd occasion where people were a little noisy coming back from the disco etc. We heard no noise from the lifts or people in the lobby area really.

When I asked them to change our cabin on Splendida we went through the booking process again on the website and found a cabin we preferred the look of and asked them to change us to that.

Have you booked Fantastica experience? If so part of that is that you should have the choice of the best cabins available - I politely reminded MSC of that

Tim

Thank you again for your help which is very much appreciated.

The photograph was brilliant and at least we know what we are up against. This Cruise is a pre-wedding treat for our Daughter and I was hoping for better cabins as all the offers had finished and we paid a slightly higher price. Bit disappointed we werent offered a choice of cabins to be honest. I do not want to ask to change cabins as we could end up in a worse position. I dont really know much about the Fantastica or Bella experience to be honest. We have just moved house and I am only just getting back on the computer. I am a bit concerned to find people on the Bella experience might end up eating in the Buffet area. I need to do a bit more research in the future I think. We booked the cruise on a bit of a whim. I am sure we will enjoy the experience whatever cabin we are in. I think it was my mistake calling it an obstructed cabin Pete. It might be an obstructed 'view' when sitting down though. Hey ho. That's Life.

Looking at the deck plan they are Bella Experience cabins.

I wouldn't worry about the restaurant bit, from reading the forums it's very rare that this seems to actually happen.

In terms of the motion sickness, if you do find you're suffering reception have tablets that work very quickly - I had to take one last cruise we were on and they worked a treat - felt better within the hour! They say not to drink on them but I was ok :)

Tim

Thanks Tim. It is good to know this eating in the Buffet area isn't a regular thing. This is not what you want to do on a Cruise really. I will remember about the tablets ! I spent two days in bed on a recent cruise from Miami. Always prefer to be mid ship if possible.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I see this is an old thread but wondered if anyone could help me? I have been allocated 8134 on Splendida for our cruise in December, on some info it says it's clear view and on others it is restricted view! I am confused. Has any one stayed in this cabin or close by? Thanks

Hi, I see this is an old thread but wondered if anyone could help me? I have been allocated 8134 on Splendida for our cruise in December, on some info it says it's clear view and on others it is restricted view! I am confused. Has any one stayed in this cabin or close by? Thanks

Hi. We stayed in 8137, directly opposite yours on our June cruise. Your stateroom is against a bulkhead so your balcony has a solid steel wall, with a small hatch for crew access on one side. I picked it for this reason, more privacy on one side at least. The view forward and rear is slightly restricted by the front and rear humps. The view outward and down is onto the rooves of the lifeboats and you are just above the outside deck 7. We had smokers from the Sports Bar outside at up to midnight but it was not a problem for us. I don't think you will have that on starboard. It's a great location. The room layout was different in that the wardrobes faced the balcony and that allowed more light to see what was in them! There is a single seat, not a sofa, otherwise great cabin.

Hi Ken .................. I have an inkling, now, of the subject of the questions you may have for me! :)

Rosy ......................Do you know that Splendida is going into dry dock before your cruise for a spruce up? She's heading to China after her Winter stint in the Gulf:

"MSC Splendida will undergo significant drydock enhancement in late 2017, ahead of the China deployment, to further improve and customize it for the market".

She should be looking good when you sail.

this is likely to be the view you will get from your balcony, It is a view of a typical balcony in the recessed area of a fantasia class ship. it is actually an image from a cabin on DIvina.

So the view is limited in a downward direction, but not really obstructed. as mentioned in post #7

dedck%208%20balcony.jpg

Pete

Thank you both very much for fast info. We only booked an interior cabin so it's a bonus to get a balcony at all. When we went on Lirica in 2005 we booked a window cabin but the lifeboat was straight in front of it so not only could we not see outside but very little light came in. As we are onboard for 18 nights I thought I would try to get more info. Interesting that Splendida will be in dry dock should be looking good for us. Thanks again. Rosy

Thanks for all you help folks it's very kind of you all. Just found out this is a repositioning cruise? Guess that's why it was so cheap including one night in Genoa and three nights in Abu Dhabi. Apart from coming home from a different port is there any down sides to this type of cruise?

They're often some of the best! We're doing the Splendida repo after her Winter season. Really looking forward to it and hoping that you (and/or others) will come back and share the onboard experience - especially pertaining to the ship being fitted out for the Chinese market. I'd love for someone to ask the crew what innovations are in place after the dry dock.

Is yours an 18 night cruise? The crew get to know you on a longer cruise which is a big plus. However, the quality of food is not always as good which is one of the reasons why they tend to be a bit cheaper per diem than shorter cruises. However, you won't go hungry - there are always many choices in the buffet. Some days are better than others.

Pizza apparently is great onboard - I don't eat it so am envious of those who can have it as an alternative to other food offerings. When we eat in the buffet, it's the only thing DH will consistently go for - he just loves it! He sometimes supplements it with a burger & fries - but pizza comes first. :rolleyes: That, and a beer, and he's happy.

Anyway, I find on a cruise >10 nights that I get tired of looking at food on the trip. It begins to feel like the whole day is taken up with eating and drinking when there are a lot of sea days and I begin skipping meals and just opting for a snack or just an appetiser occasionally. I only eat 2 meals a day at home and rarely snack in between so I try not to put on too much weight when on a ship. It's not easy - but it's harder to shift at my age, LOL!

They're often some of the best! We're doing the Splendida repo after her Winter season. Really looking forward to it and hoping that you (and/or others) will come back and share the onboard experience - especially pertaining to the ship being fitted out for the Chinese market. I'd love for someone to ask the crew what innovations are in place after the dry dock.

Is yours an 18 night cruise? The crew get to know you on a longer cruise which is a big plus. However, the quality of food is not always as good which is one of the reasons why they tend to be a bit cheaper per diem than shorter cruises. However, you won't go hungry - there are always many choices in the buffet. Some days are better than others.

Pizza apparently is great onboard - I don't eat it so am envious of those who can have it as an alternative to other food offerings. When we eat in the buffet, it's the only thing DH will consistently go for - he just loves it! He sometimes supplements it with a burger & fries - but pizza comes first. :rolleyes: That, and a beer, and he's happy.

Anyway, I find on a cruise >10 nights that I get tired of looking at food on the trip. It begins to feel like the whole day is taken up with eating and drinking when there are a lot of sea days and I begin skipping meals and just opting for a snack or just an appetiser occasionally. I only eat 2 meals a day at home and rarely snack in between so I try not to put on too much weight when on a ship. It's not easy - but it's harder to shift at my age, LOL!

Hi, yes we are doing 18 nights on board from Genoa to Abu Dhabi then 3 night stay there over Christmas. We don't like Christmas so always go away. My hubby wanted to go through the Suez canal and this popped up on my news feed. We are quite easy going food wise, will eat most things. Pizza and pasta must be good. We have cruised MSC before and loved it. I have been on P & O 2 years ago and it was dismal. Luckily hubby didn't come that time!!

I didn't realise that you have to pay for room service on the bella experience, but don't suppose its going to amount to £100 which is the difference in price. We have the drinks package which seems like a good deal for £16 a day each. A couple of g & t's is that much , and I like a couple lol.

I shall find out about this China tidy up and report back.

I shall find out about this China tidy up and report back.

I look forward to that. I'm curious to know what could be added to make the ship more geared for the market in China. :confused:

As for the drinks package - it's a no-brainer. Even if you add up the price (including the 15% service charge) of a couple of coffees and bottles of water with perhaps a glass of wine or beer and you're quids in!

Make sure you get a forward view - or at least be on deck - when sailing thru' the Suez. It's fantastic!

Every time I think of G&Ts on the ship reminds me of the smoked salmon sandwiches I get from room service when we're on the repos. We usually have a deluxe (premium) package which includes the mini-bar (and food items on the RS menu). I'd get a G&T from the fridge and have it with the salmon - it's become almost like I "can't have one without the other". The sandwiches are great value and, I believe, you can now get drinks from room service with your all-inclusive package.

We only have the AI Restaurant and Bar card which costs £288 each (£16 per day each) not the deluxe package which costs £558 each or £702 each. Although this is only £31 or £39 each per day, it's almost what we paid for the cruise with flights, and 4 nights hotels.

Will get to the best viewing place for the Suez transit, hubby will be happy.

Do MSC have sail away parties?

Rosy

We only have the AI Restaurant and Bar card which costs £288 each (£16 per day each) not the deluxe package which costs £558 each or £702 each. Although this is only £31 or £39 each per day, it's almost what we paid for the cruise with flights, and 4 nights hotels.

Will get to the best viewing place for the Suez transit, hubby will be happy.

Do MSC have sail away parties?

Rosy

There's usually one at the pool. We never get to attend them as we always have early dining which usually coincides with sailaway time.