How do I handle this rental car from French to Italian Riviera?

Millenia98

I priced a one way and for 8 days, it’s about $800 (we need a larger car). I know there is mention of dropping the car off in a bordering French town and then picking up a new car in the Italian side. But what town would be good for that on each side of the Rivieras? Has anyone done this?

We are not going to be able to do a perfect circle trip – I am set on the one way (from Provence/Nice to Liguria) – flying back home via Milan.

Can you advise me? Thank you!

I priced a one way and for 8 days, it’s about $800 (we need a larger car). I know there is mention of dropping the car off in a bordering French town and then picking up a new car in the Italian side. But what town would be good for that on each side of the Rivieras? Has anyone done this?

We are not going to be able to do a perfect circle trip – I am set on the one way (from Provence/Nice to Liguria) – flying back home via Milan.

Can you advise me? Thank you!

To be honest I have no experience of car hire in France and Italy. I only know that when I have hired in UK and Switzerland the cost of dropping the car off in a different city or airport has annoyed me. I would imagine the cost of dropping off in a different country might make the hire much more expensive.

You pose an interesting question. I just wondered, considering that the train from Nice does end in Italy (Ventimiglia I think), have you thought about hiring in Nice, returning the car in Nice and then taking the train to Ventimiglia. You could then hire from there and at least when you drop of your car in Liguria or Milan (not sure which) you only have a single one way and a single country to pay for.

Just my thoughts.

To be honest I have no experience of car hire in France and Italy. I only know that when I have hired in UK and Switzerland the cost of dropping the car off in a different city or airport has annoyed me. I would imagine the cost of dropping off in a different country might make the hire much more expensive.

You pose an interesting question. I just wondered, considering that the train from Nice does end in Italy (Ventimiglia I think), have you thought about hiring in Nice, returning the car in Nice and then taking the train to Ventimiglia. You could then hire from there and at least when you drop of your car in Liguria or Milan (not sure which) you only have a single one way and a single country to pay for.

Just my thoughts.

Didn't think of that, but that's an excellent idea. I'll look into that. Thank you!

Drop offs in different countries are very expensive. I'm not sure if there are any rental agencies in Ventimiglia. Savona or Genova would be a better bet.

There are apparently trains that do run from Nice to Italy (beyond Ventimiglia) these days. Would be a better option as changing in Ventimiglia is reportedly a PITA.

Trouble is that many rental companies are usually are the airport or in remote locations (an airports can be both, relatively speaking).

As for rental companies that are reasonable for OW rentals within country, I've found Europcar to be the best for France. Sixt for Austria and Croatia, Hertz for Italy.

We have rented a lot of cars in Europe (especially France and Italy) and had also thought of the Ventimiglia option. However, I seem to recall that if you want to rent a car in Ventimiglia you are often advised to take the train over to Monte Carlo...where there are numerous rental car agencies. Not sure there are any rental car outfits actually in Ventimiglia (I could be wrong).

Your problem is a major issue when renting cars in Europe and we now are careful to design our long driving trips so we can pick-up and drop in the same country. In your situation we might call AutoEurope (autoeurope.com) at their toll free number and ask their help (they are only helpful if you are renting a car for at least 3 days). Autoeurope (and their sister company...Kemwel) are rental car "consolidators" which means they enter into agreements with multiple rental car companies (i.e. Hertz and Europcar) and market their own deals. One thing I like about dealing with them is that they are a relatively small American company with employees that usually have a lot of knowledge about European rentals.

Hank

We have rented a lot of cars in Europe (especially France and Italy) and had also thought of the Ventimiglia option. However, I seem to recall that if you want to rent a car in Ventimiglia you are often advised to take the train over to Monte Carlo...where there are numerous rental car agencies. Not sure there are any rental car outfits actually in Ventimiglia (I could be wrong).

Your problem is a major issue when renting cars in Europe and we now are careful to design our long driving trips so we can pick-up and drop in the same country. In your situation we might call AutoEurope (autoeurope.com) at their toll free number and ask their help (they are only helpful if you are renting a car for at least 3 days). Autoeurope (and their sister company...Kemwel) are rental car "consolidators" which means they enter into agreements with multiple rental car companies (i.e. Hertz and Europcar) and market their own deals. One thing I like about dealing with them is that they are a relatively small American company with employees that usually have a lot of knowledge about European rentals.

Hank

So if you're in Italy, they'll send you back over to Monte Carlo in France? But what if you're in Ventimiglia bc you intend on exploring the rest of Italy - why would they send me to France?

So if you're in Italy, they'll send you back over to Monte Carlo in France? But what if you're in Ventimiglia bc you intend on exploring the rest of Italy - why would they send me to France?

It is not that anyone "sends you" but rather it is simply the logistics of finding the nearest rental car agency. Try making a Ventimiglia car reservation in a few search engines (like Kayak, Expedia, etc) and you will see what I mean. I believe the nearest rental office might be in Menton (France) with a better selection in Monte Carlo. So if using a train to jump the border into Italy, one may have to go somewhat further than Ventimiglia (which is not nearly as convenient...train wise).

We do share your frustration with the lack of inter-country rental car drops. It has caused us a lot of "issues" when planning long (and short) driving trips within Europe. The irony is that before they created the EU it was actually quite easy to arrange for inter-country one ways. Go figure. There are apparently some "issues" that defy logic. For example, Sixt owns their own rental car offices (unlike most rental car companies) and yet charges outrageous inter-country drop fees. It does not make a lot of sense.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Which would not an issue if you are hiring and returning to the same city - ie hire in France even though you take the car into Italy. It would not involve inter country hiring.