Are three day cruises booze cruises??

kathy884

I am considering a little January get-a-way -- fly to Miami and do a three day cruise on the Magic with DH, DS who is 21. We are not drinkers and have avoided short cruises before on other lines as we did not want to do a booze cruise, where lots of guests are drinking heavily. // I thought maybe we'd be OK on a short cruise on Disney, but maybe not. Let me know what you think. We're not opposed to drinking or anything like that. We just don't want to be around a lot of drunk people.

Also, in general what are your thoughts regarding a Disney cruise for adults? DS has always wanted to cruise Disney, but I always found costs during school breaks to be prohibitive, so just did the parks, cruised other lines, or went to Mexico or Puerto Rico instead for spring break. This time, though, we can sort of go off season -- January 8th when most kids are back in school and we are looking at a short three day vs. seven day cruise making the cost work out better.

It looks like it would be a ton of fun, but I would love to hear from others who have done the short cruise on the Magic out of Miami.

Edited by kathy884

I am considering a little January get-a-way -- fly to Miami and do a three day cruise on the Magic with DH, DS who is 21. We are not drinkers and have avoided short cruises before on other lines as we did not want to do a booze cruise, where lots of guests are drinking heavily. // I thought maybe we'd be OK on a short cruise on Disney, but maybe not. Let me know what you think. We're not opposed to drinking or anything like that. We just don't want to be around a lot of drunk people.

Also, in general what are your thoughts regarding a Disney cruise for adults? DS has always wanted to cruise Disney, but I always found costs during school breaks to be prohibitive, so just did the parks, cruised other lines, or went to Mexico or Puerto Rico instead for spring break. This time, though, we can sort of go off season -- January 8th when most kids are back in school and we are looking at a short three day vs. seven day cruise making the cost work out better.

It looks like it would be a ton of fun, but I would love to hear from others who have done the short cruise on the Magic out of Miami.

Absolutely not booze cruises.

Yes there will always be a percentage of Guests aboard who will drink to excess, and embarrass themselves, however it is not on the same scale as other mass market lines IMO. A very small few Guests who are quickly asked if they require assistance to get back to their Stateroom.;)

Especially as your cruise is only visiting CC, so no port stop with bars plying willing people with liquor.

In my opinion, a Magic 3 day cruise to CC only is a better one than the 3 day Dream going to Nassau and CC if you want to test a DCL cruise.

One more sea day gives you more time to explore the ship and experience the different vibe it has over having another port day included.

But it will only be a sample of what a full 7 day cruise has to offer, so I'd suggest taking it easy and not planning to do every meet and greet and avoid Palo this time, and save it for the next.

Here is a review from an adult only experience on the Disney Dream:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1900546

And there are many others but the Magic does not regularly do short cruises like this out of Miami so I think you will be unlikely to find reviews.

Google some Magic reviews and that will give you a taster of what the ship offers.

HTH's

ex techie

Well, unlike some other line's 3 night cruises, DCL's don't tend to be like that. Maybe because they are more "family oriented" and the prices. Why spend that much for a Disney 3 night cruise, when you can get a cheaper one? And DCL doesn't have drink packages (at least ones like other lines).

We've only always cruise as adult only on DCL. Most times just my and my husband. Other times with our adult kids, or the in-laws.

When we did a 4/3 B2B, we noticed a definite difference in the passengers on the 3 night segment as opposed to the 4 night segment, but drinking accounted for only a small part of it. No, a 3 night cruise is not a booze cruise in the same way that it is on Carnival. And I agree with Techie that a 3 night with the only stop being Castaway is preferable to the Dream Castaway/Nassau route.

The big difference we noted on the 3 night portion was entitlement parents. There was a huge attitude that they had paid for this cruise and they'd do whatever they wanted--rules could fly a kite. Saving seats in the WDT, bringing kids into adult only areas (they actually stopped a show in one of the night clubs until a mother removed her child and she had the nerve to argue with the CM), kids running the ship totally unsupervised. It seemed like the parents had decided that this was their vacation and Disney was being paid to babysit their kids....but they sort of neglected the part about needing to sign them into the programming.

They are also rather frantic. There are more people who view this as a "once in a lifetime" experience and feel that they need to cram in everything possible. It was not a cruise where people sit on their balcony (or in the Cove area) and read or just chill out.

We walked by on the 4th floor balcony overlooking the atrium and paused for a minute watching the guests boarding. A CM came over and said 'Yes, I know. We go thru those feelings every week." It's just a different passenger mix. But booze--not really more than any other cruise. That's probably due to the lack of an unlimited alcohol package.

I have done a 3 night and a couple 2 night cruises. They are not booze cruises. The adult pool is crazy crowded and people are drinking there, but I didn't see anything that I found obnoxious. I've never seen any drunken contests that I read about on other ships, such as wet Tshirt contest, hairy chest contest, etc.

What I remember from my 3 night Dream was total chaos and kids running around unsupervised on the pool deck. Oddly, I never saw that on the 2 night Wonder cruises. The 2 nighters had lots of families who were enjoying their children on the pool deck. They looked like true family fun weekends. It was magical.

What I remember from my 3 night Dream was total chaos and kids running around unsupervised on the pool deck. Oddly, I never saw that on the 2 night Wonder cruises.

Yes, this is totally what we experienced on 3 night Wonder cruises. I honestly would not have done another one, but we caught a $99 special that was too good to pass up. A 3 nighter could almost be called "Where have all the parents gone?"

I wonder if many on 3 night DCL would be 1st time cruisers--does that crazy behavior--I don't know. We have done the 4 night Dream several times, definitely not a booze cruise. I really prefer the 4 over the 3, b/c you spend so much time getting on/off the ship, a 3 night is just not worth it to us, as it's only 2.5 days on the ship. IMHO, I would not fly down for a 3 night cruise, but I would combine it with 3-4 days at WDW beforehand.

Edited by elaine5

I wonder if many on 3 night DCL would be 1st time cruisers--does that crazy behavior--I don't know. We have done the 4 night Dream several times, definitely not a booze cruise. I really prefer the 4 over the 3, b/c you spend so much time getting on/off the ship, a 3 night is just not worth it to us, as it's only 2.5 days on the ship. IMHO, I would not fly down for a 3 night cruise, but I would combine it with 3-4 days at WDW beforehand.

Yes, many on 3 night cruises tend to be first timers--either first time cruising or first time on Disney. That's part of the frantic, "got to do everything" mentality.

I won't even do another one combined with a WDW stay. If it isn't at least a week on the ship, it isn't worth the hassle of getting there. But then, I'm one of those crazy "longer is better" people.

Thanks so much for all of your candid feedback. Although it's not a booze cruise, lots of kid running around just doesn't sound appealing. // I would have free airfare -- OK not free, but I have lots of airline points and can get direct flights to Miami.

I think it's back to the drawing board.

Edited by kathy884

Thanks so much for all of your candid feedback. Although it's not a booze cruise, lots of kid running around just doesn't sound appealing. // I would have free airfare -- OK not free, but I have lots of airline points and can get direct flights to Miami.

On any Disney cruise there will be kids running around, and the time of year and kid occupancy does vary.

On the Magic class the pools are better segregated than on the Dream class so that is a consideration. As you all are adults only, the adult pool would be the place you would naturally chose to relax or swim.

The entertainment lounges along After Hours are adult only after 9pm, so again no kids allowed and no issues with kids running around unsupervised.

Cabanas the buffet is at the Aft of the ship, and the quick service food outlets are located there also, so you would have to venture through the Goofy pool and whatever they call the Mickey pool area now to get to them and the included soda fountains, but you can take the food or beverages back to the adults only Quiet Cove to eat or drink them in peace!

You also have direct access from the QC pool area to the adults only coffee shop, Cove Cafe.

I wouldn't completely discount this cruise. And the make up of Guests aboard may be different from the regular Dream crowd, since it is out of Miami and such a short cruise in January.

ex techie

edit to add, I forgot about Castaway Cay.

As adults you have your own private beach far away from the families, with your own BBQ lunch service, bar and bathrooms.

Edited by Ex techie
to add

Strictly enforced "adults only" areas are the nightclubs after 9 pm, Palo (and Remy on the newer ships), and Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. They allow teen and mother/daughter deals in the spa, but those are pretty well segregated from the adults using the spa or fitness center.

Less well enforced (read that "not enforced at all unless parents read the signs and make the kids obey") are the areas around the Cove Cafe and Quiet Cove pool. We've had to ask a CM to have kids removed from the pool (that they will do). But DCL is fine with kids walking, running, or skating thru or stopping by to talk to mom. Sorry, but with the wave phones, there is no reason that a kid can't phone the parent..from another wave phone, a house phone, or the cabin phone. No reason to enter an "adult only" area.

I'm guessing that you are needing these dates...otherwise, is there a longer cruise that would work better? Or perhaps another line? Princess goes out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale).

Don't drop it from your plans, yet. I often grab food from the family pool area and take it back to the adults pool area.

Take second seating dinner as it will have less smaller children. I haven't ever seen any kids running around at dinner and I always have second seating.

Take second seating dinner as it will have less smaller children. I haven't ever seen any kids running around at dinner and I always have second seating.

Unfortunately I've seen kids running around the dining room at second seating. These kids just need parenting.

In my experience on a 4/3 B2B, we noticed a huge difference between the 2. The 3 night had more large groups celebrating something....both adults only groups and families. While I wouldn't label it a booze cruise, the 3 night had a more partying atmosphere in the adult only areas of the ship and CC. The 4 night had more of a family feel - adult areas were less busy and more relaxed.... Not stopping us from doing it again. ....I won't get Rainforest passes on a 3 night again....for the group reason and more people trying to do everything in only 2 days.....wasn't as a relaxing of a place... I tell everyone do not judge a DCL cruise by only going on a 3 night. I also tell people do at least 4 nights.....if you can only afford a 3 night...save until you can go for at least 4.

Edited by dpcmh

No booze cruise, but the ops who said the 3 day cruises are "frantic" are right on. As for adult only, we would do it (and probably will do it) in a heartbeat. Lots of secret books and crannies for the big big kids to hang out in. I can't speak for the Dream because I was one of the frantic ones, but on the Wonder, there were tons of adult hang out areas.

Unfortunately I've seen kids running around the dining room at second seating. These kids just need parenting.

At second seating I've noticed more kids sleeping than running around. The MDR staff is very adept at turning a couple chairs into a makeshift bed for a little one.

I did both a 3 day and a 4 day in the last year or so, and I haven't really noticed that much of a difference, and I spend all of my time with the exception of shows in the adult areas. The Dream had satellite falls area for the adults and the Magic did not and I felt the extra room was nice.

I preferred the 3 day actually... which puts me in the minority. The reason is that while the adult dining venues were wonderful, I find the food in Disney's MDR's subpar. I don't want to eat in the adult restaurant every night, and with 4 nights, the options were limited. On a 3 night voyage I did not mind 2 adult restaurant nights but on the 4 night I ran out of places to eat. Of course leaving from Miami you have other considerations and schedules but all 3 night voyages on the Dream out of Canaveral are over the weekend, and perhaps that produces a different crowd. I have two more 3 night voyages booked over the next 7months. I know some will say they really enjoy the MDR food, but to me it was lacking in flavor and freshness. The adult venue meals were superb though. I never noticed excessive drinking or partying on either voyage.

On all ships, except on the first and last night the pool deck restaurant is open for casual sit down service. There is a menu that you can view before being seated. The food is better than in the MDR because it is made fresh when you order and the atmosphere is much quieter. There are often great sunset views.

We eat there if we get back from an excursion and don't want to wait for our late MDR time or because we've had it with the noise and quality of the food/lack thereof.

Agree; my experience with the tenor of DCL (Fantasy 6/2014, Dream 12/2015) is that clearly adults are drinking but this is a family environment, not Mardi Gras. I think the limits on carry-on booze and the prices are a major restriction that keeps the more lascivious and thuggish behavior in check. I would be more concerned about gangs of free-range preteens hopped up on all-you-care-to-enjoy ice cream and soda running down the halls and frightening oldies (46 year olds) like us!

DH and I took a 3 night cruise this past February (our first ever) on the Magic and it wasnt a booze cruise. People drank but except for the first night (one lady was definitely intoxicated and talking extremely loud and swaying while waiting in line with her dd for a character meet with a drink in her hand) it was hardly noticeable. Dh and I dont drink but it wasnt like what you "hear" about other cruise lines being party boats (going by hearsay as I've never been on other cruise lines) We loved the 3 night even though it was too short IMO