Questions about Checking in

I do have a few questions. There is a general thread topic in the new cruisers' board about debit vs. credit but my question is specifically about Royal Caribbean. I know that a CC is preferred. I traditionally avoided credit cards because I was generally cautious about them but I decided to apply for one for my cruise (and to use in the future responsibly, obviously).

My problem is that I ordered the card over a month ago and my card still hasn't arrived. I was approved and told that the card was in the mail but basically, the credit card company in question has been incompetent. First, they mailed it to an incorrect address despite my having a long banking history with them at the correct address - I applied over the phone. I made them reissue the card with a new number for security purposes. Now they've given me several different dates as to when they mailed the new card to me and as to when it will arrive, supposedly sometime between now and next Wednesday. I'm not quite ready to name and shame who they are yet. I will if the card does not get here before my actual cruise.

Anyway, this has meant that I haven't been able to check in yet because I was planning and I am still hoping to use that card for my account. I called Royal and they told me that I can check in at the pier. I'm a new cruiser so I'm a little nervous about that. I have a passport which I will obviously bring and info like my emergency contact is in my phone for me to look up at the pier as needed.

My questions are as follows:

Has anyone checked in at the pier rather than online? What is the procedure for that?

If I get stuck using a debit card to secure my online account, what is Royal's "hold" on the card? I got no answer from them on that.

If I use cash to secure the account and don't spend that full amount, will I get cash back at the end? (As opposed to some future onboard credit)? I prepaid my gratuities and might buy a drinks package in advance if I go this route so my onboard expenses would be low.

Sorry for these questions. I'm a little stressed out about this thanks to my stupid bank.

Just choose the cash option to check-in now and you can easily change it at the pier or at Guest Services on board.

If you decide to use the cash option for the entire cruise, you can get back any cash you have left on the last day. I would advise not using a debit card to secure the account. Use the cash account and then use the debit card to pay off the cash account at the end of the cruise if necessary. This avoids any holds on the debit account.

By the way, if you use a cash account, you do not have to put down cash up front. Royal lets you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

No problem at all checking in at the pier. People who book last minute do this all the time. All you need is the passport and credit card. Maybe takes 2-3 minutes longer than if you checked in on line and had your Set Sail info. If you set up a cash account, yes, you get back any thing you don't spend. Sorry, I know nothing about a debit card. But there are many people who warn against using for a cruise.

I do have a few questions. There is a general thread topic in the new cruisers' board about debit vs. credit but my question is specifically about Royal Caribbean. I know that a CC is preferred. I traditionally avoided credit cards because I was generally cautious about them but I decided to apply for one for my cruise (and to use in the future responsibly, obviously).

My problem is that I ordered the card over a month ago and my card still hasn't arrived. I was approved and told that the card was in the mail but basically, the credit card company in question has been incompetent. First, they mailed it to an incorrect address despite my having a long banking history with them at the correct address - I applied over the phone. I made them reissue the card with a new number for security purposes. Now they've given me several different dates as to when they mailed the new card to me and as to when it will arrive, supposedly sometime between now and next Wednesday. I'm not quite ready to name and shame who they are yet. I will if the card does not get here before my actual cruise.

Anyway, this has meant that I haven't been able to check in yet because I was planning and I am still hoping to use that card for my account. I called Royal and they told me that I can check in at the pier. I'm a new cruiser so I'm a little nervous about that. I have a passport which I will obviously bring and info like my emergency contact is in my phone for me to look up at the pier as needed.

My questions are as follows:

Has anyone checked in at the pier rather than online? What is the procedure for that?

If I get stuck using a debit card to secure my online account, what is Royal's "hold" on the card? I got no answer from them on that.

If I use cash to secure the account and don't spend that full amount, will I get cash back at the end? (As opposed to some future onboard credit)? I prepaid my gratuities and might buy a drinks package in advance if I go this route so my onboard expenses would be low.

Sorry for these questions. I'm a little stressed out about this thanks to my stupid bank.

Do your online check-in now and Chose a cash account. If your credit Card arrives early enough for online check-in not being closed yet, you can still Change it to credit Card. If the CC arrives too late for changing in onlince check-in, but before you leave for the cruise, you can simply Change it at the Pier.

This way you don´t have to do all the formalities at the Pier, though it´s not a big deal anyway and would maybe add 5 minutes to the procedure.

If you end up doing a cash account you will get any Money back at the end of the cruise you deposited in cash. I don´t think though you have to put down Money until you reach a certain Point of spending, but I have no real Experience in this. Also can´t answer the hold question on debit Cards.

Has anyone checked in at the pier rather than online? What is the procedure for that? same as online only done right then and there so it takes longer. can you online check in with your debit card to be able to print everything out and then just change it to the credit card you wish to use when you arrive and they scan it in? or maybe just indicate a cash account?

If I get stuck using a debit card to secure my online account, what is Royal's "hold" on the card? I got no answer from them on that. Royals policy is to allow up to $500 be charged to the account before requiring you to pay it down. but the holds could be placed daily and will not fall off until after you get home which eats up your available funds everywhere else.

If I use cash to secure the account and don't spend that full amount, will I get cash back at the end? (As opposed to some future onboard credit)? I prepaid my gratuities and might buy a drinks package in advance if I go this route so my onboard expenses would be low. absosmurfly.

dumb bank.

any on board credit does not show up until the second day. but you can always buy some ahead of time and since it is refundable, you would get any remaining back on the same card you used to buy it with.

Thanks everyone, this is all helpful info. I will check in online as cash and then make the final call on whether to change it if I get this card before the cruise. (Fortunately, I live a reasonable drive from the cruise port so I will be leaving for the cruise on the morning of departure).

Part of why I am so irritated is that they told me at one point that they would do expedited shipping and have it to me within two days for a fee. Two days later, it hadn't arrived so I called them and they told me that expedited shipping isn't possible and then I was given two different dates by two different employees as to when it had been mailed. This was the point at which I got angry, but like I said, I'll just be happy if it arrives before I leave.

I just hope this doesn't bode for the future of dealing with them.

Thanks again!

I am just updating that this issue finally got successfully resolved. I took the advice of checking in with a cash account on Sunday and basically planned around having a cash account. I also booked the Royal Replenish package on that day since I was planning on having a cash account and didn't want to have to think about tracking drinks a la carte in cash.

The card arrived the next day. I have now changed the account. Basically, it was a headache waiting for it and I might not have gotten the drinks package if i had gotten the card previously, but it's not a big deal. I'm just glad that it finally came.

Thanks again for the advice! I was getting so irritated at a frustrating situation that it was hard to see it objectively. No "naming and shaming" needed as of yet.

I am just updating that this issue finally got successfully resolved. I took the advice of checking in with a cash account on Sunday and basically planned around having a cash account. I also booked the Royal Replenish package on that day since I was planning on having a cash account and didn't want to have to think about tracking drinks a la carte in cash.

The card arrived the next day. I have now changed the account. Basically, it was a headache waiting for it and I might not have gotten the drinks package if i had gotten the card previously, but it's not a big deal. I'm just glad that it finally came.

Thanks again for the advice! I was getting so irritated at a frustrating situation that it was hard to see it objectively. No "naming and shaming" needed as of yet.

Thanks for reporting back, and glad it worked out for you.:)