Are you getting off the ship in Turkey?

Mrsqster

Just wondering what everyone is doing now that Turkey is back on. We had originally booked a tour including Ephesus then that got refunded when they pulled Izmir. Im not sure I want to get off the ship there was another incident yesterday although not directly in our new port.

Absolutely...I wouldn't miss it.

I think we all have a destiny...we could just as easily get killed on the freeway by some crazy driver, as being killed by a terrorist attack in another country.

there was another incident yesterday although not directly in our new port.

Most of the violence has been attacks on police and military, in some cases tourists have been caught up in these incidents, thus the State Dept warnings.

The attached article says 36 million tourists visited Turkey last year. I am thinking we will be safe, absent any big increase in problems this summer.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-turkey-travel-terrorists-things-to-know-20160209-story.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are a subset of fears called phobias, and that is what fear of dying in a terrorist attack would fall into, though I haven't heard of a psychologist naming such a phobia and perhaps I should do it and make a name for myself in psychology. ;)

Seriously, go to this link:

http://www.techjuice.pk/a-data-scientist-explains-odds-of-dying-in-a-terrorist-attack/

Note the statistics regarding the odds of dying by various causes:

Drowning in a Bathtub: 1 in 685,000

Fatally Slipping during a Shower: 1 in 812,232

Being Struck by Lightning: 1 in 576,000

Being Murdered: 1 in 18,000

Dying from any kind of Injury: 1 in 1,820

Dying from intentional Self-harm: 1 in 9,380

Dying from an Assault: 1 in 16,421

Dying from a Car Accident: 1 in 18,585

Dying from any kind of Fall: 1 in 20,666

Dying from Accidental Drowning: 1 in 79,065

Dying from Exposure to Smoke, Fire, and Flames: 1 in 81,524

Dying from Forces of Nature (earthquake, heat, cold, lightning, flood): 1 in 225,107

Dying from Choking on Food: 1 in 370,035

Dying in a Fireworks Accident: 1 in 1,000,000

Dying from a Dog Bite: 1 in 700,000

Dying from Falling off a Ladder: 1 in 2,300,000

Dying form unintentional Alcohol Poisoning: 1 in 820,217

Dying from a Heart Disease: 1 in 5

Dying from a Cancer: 1 in 7

Dying from a Stroke: 1 in 23

Dying from Electrocution: 1 in 5,000

Bee, Snake Venomous Sting: 1 in 100,000

Scalded by Hot Tap Water: 1 in 5,000,000

By Falling Coconut: 1 in 250,000,000

By a Shark Attack: 1 in 300,000,000

Dying of a Snake Bite: 1 in 3,500,000

Dying from Food Poisoning: 1 in 3,000,000

Dying from Accident at Work: 1 in 43,500

Dying in a Road Accident: 1 in 8,000

And odds of dying in a terrorist attack while on-board (a plane) is 1 in 25,000,000 (25 million) and the overall average of dying in any kind of terrorist attack worldwide is 1 in 9,300,000 (9.3 million).

In sum, you should be more concerned about dying of food poisoning on the ship than getting off in Turkey, though you shouldn't be concerned about death period as the odds are greatly against your number being up during this one vacation, and vacations are much more enjoyable if the fear is left back home. :)

I am not only getting off the ship in Turkey...I have my husband and around two dozen friends taking a tour to Ephesus with me that I have arranged. I am hopeful that I am not taking people to their death. That said, I have given all my cousins copies of our trusts and other important legal documents so if we die in any way at any time, we have our affairs in order. If you haven't created at least a will yet, I urge you to do so quickly as any of us could die at any moment and it is better for survivors if we make things easy as we can for them.

We're definitely getting off the ship. Am I a bit worried? Yes. But, we're touring with Carnival's excursion and I trust them to be on top of things and keep us safe. Lastly, we want to see Ephesus, as many people do. So, there's still a certain excitement to it all.

Absolutely! We have reserved a tour with a private company that I actually feel is safer than a big bus tour.Excited to see Ephesus again and show it to my son and Grandson.

could i ask what company?

Booked this morning. Private cab and driver highly recommended on many travel web sites. We will be visiting Sirince, a small village in the mountains with a bazaar. 70€ for up to 4 people.

Are you allowed to post specifics about the company you plan to use? We've been to Ephesus before and saw the major attractions, so we're interested in possibly going private this time and having a more customized itinerary. Thanks!

I really want to, however the news of the port change from Izmir has spooked the wife. She told me she is staying on the ship in Turkey. I do have some time to talk her into going ashore. Hope no other incidents occur that could further spook her.

Unless they change the restrictions, I will not get off the ship in Turkey. The US Military will not allow it. I have Ephesus booked from before these restrictions, and it transferred to Kusadasi when they added it in it's place. But I will get a Carnival refund for the excursion if the State Department doesn't change the policy which is in effect.