Independence of the Seas is back in the UK!

Some questions came up about the scrubbers during Captain's Corner on the transatlantic and he said that they are planning to ultimately put a fascia of some kind around them to make them more aesthetically pleasing, but I don't recall whether any time frame was mentioned for that (not sure if it's the sort of thing that can be done outside of dry dock?)

It is the first time I see a scrubber added to a cruise ship in such an uggly way. All other scrubbers are somehow added into the smokestake but not separately and looking like a huge silver carbage can. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got off the Indy after a very enjoyable transatlantic. Only one of the 4 scrubbers has been fitted the work is ongoing but has no impact on the sailing, still a fair bit of soot on my aft cabin balcony daily. We heard on board that the cupcake shop is going to be changed into a pie shop for the UK market, could someone let me know if this is true.

Just got off the Indy after a very enjoyable transatlantic. Only one of the 4 scrubbers has been fitted the work is ongoing but has no impact on the sailing, still a fair bit of soot on my aft cabin balcony daily. We heard on board that the cupcake shop is going to be changed into a pie shop for the UK market, could someone let me know if this is true.

There was quite a surprising of smoke out of the main stack when she was leaving Southampton. If my car did that, it'd fail the MOT emissions test :D

Yes, I think that the Cupcake Cupboard has made way for a pie shop. Others on my sailing this summer have heard that it's both sweet and savoury pies and they'll be $4.25 each. But I've not heard anything official. :)

Dumb question... what are the scrubbers and is this temp? I've never seen those on a ship, or at least something that looks like that.

And regarding the cupcake turning into a pie shop...how I wish it would remain a pie shop once it crosses the pond again. I love pie!

Dumb question... what are the scrubbers and is this temp? ...

Not temporary. I'm oversimplifying, but the scrubbers are required to meet emissions requiremements with the fuel they want to use.

Edited by clarea

There was quite a surprising of smoke out of the main stack when she was leaving Southampton. If my car did that, it'd fail the MOT emissions test :D

Yes, I think that the Cupcake Cupboard has made way for a pie shop. Others on my sailing this summer have heard that it's both sweet and savoury pies and they'll be $4.25 each. But I've not heard anything official. :)

They used to do savoury pies and pastries at sorentos for free (UK sailings)

No sign of them on our recent TA, only pizza

Edited by bogofman