Onboard Credits

npilchik

I went on my first cruise ever earlier this month (Celebrity Summit to Bermuda) and had such a great time that I booked another cruise while on board for January (Equinox). I received a large amount of onboard credit that I know I can use towards shore excursions, but do I have to wait to book those shore excursions until I'm onboard or can I pre-book them?

I went on my first cruise ever earlier this month (Celebrity Summit to Bermuda) and had such a great time that I booked another cruise while on board for January (Equinox). I received a large amount of onboard credit that I know I can use towards shore excursions, but do I have to wait to book those shore excursions until I'm onboard or can I pre-book them?

To use onboard cruise credit, the excursions must be booked onboard.

Diane

You can also use the OBC for the gratuities, upgrading the beverage package, Internet package, dining in speciality restaurants, spa, shops, fitness classes, wine tastings.

So if you will incur expenses for any these on the ship your OBC can cover those and you can pre-book shore excursions knowing that your OBC will no go to waste.

It seems so silly to me. I understand that it's an ONBOARD credit, but I think you should be able to apply the credit to any additional expenses once the cruise is booked. Oh well. I guess that's why I don't run a cruise line.

Princess has a history of not charging for excursions booked prior to sailing until getting on board. This would allow for using OBC to pay for these shore excursions. This year they have been trying the pay at time of booking system on some of their ships. This prepay system looks like it will be the industry standard before long.

One thing you have to consider is that excursion prices can go up after boarding. Last month I took a excursion in Spain that I had pre-booked several months before sailing. If I had booked that same excursion while on-board, the price would have been $20 higher per person.

I would assume that the same pricing difference would apply if you were to pre-book, cancel and then book again after boarding.

Love 2 Travel outlined the plan we are following. For the "must do" shore excursions, we have gone ahead and booked them. If they are still available once we are on board, we will cancel and re-book since none of them start within 24 hours (i.e. the free cancellation time period).

We booked shore excursions before cruising and had to pay up front w credit card. While on board, we canceled and rebooked in order to use our OBC.

Love 2 Travel outlined the plan we are following. For the "must do" shore excursions, we have gone ahead and booked them. If they are still available once we are on board, we will cancel and re-book since none of them start within 24 hours (i.e. the free cancellation time period).

Unless the policy has changed (not certain as we don't typically book ship's excursions) - if you cancel an excursion while onboard - they will credit you with refundable OBC. This should still have the desired impact, since when you re-book they it would normally go against non-refundable OBC first. Any leftover refundable OBC would then get credited back to your card at the end of the cruise.

Just point this out so that one is not surprised if they are told the refund will be in OBC.

Mike