Ubp

UK Cruiser2

Is UBP really $79 per day per person :eek:

It sure is... I would never pay for that out of pocket and would only get it when included in a promotion. You also have to pay an 18% "gratuity" for it, and even though I do enjoy myself with alcohol on a cruise... If I paid for each drink outright, I don't think it would cost as much as the gratuity itself let alone the $78 a day.

If you do the math:

On a 7 day cruise the UBP would cost $546. Then the "gratuity" is $98 bringing the total to $644 not including tax. You'd need to have 54 alcoholic drinks just to break even. That's almost 8 drinks a day. To me, not worth it at all if you have to pay for it in full.

(Assuming I did my math right.. )

-Keith

It sure is... I would never pay for that out of pocket and would only get it when included in a promotion. You also have to pay an 18% "gratuity" for it, and even though I do enjoy myself with alcohol on a cruise... If I paid for each drink outright, I don't think it would cost as much as the gratuity itself let alone the $78 a day.

If you do the math:

On a 7 day cruise the UBP would cost $546. Then the "gratuity" is $98 bringing the total to $644 not including tax. You'd need to have 54 alcoholic drinks just to break even. That's almost 8 drinks a day. To me, not worth it at all if you have to pay for it in full.

(Assuming I did my math right.. )

-Keith

Not worth buying it for me either. If I were to drink the more expensive drinks (you can have drinks up to $15), it would be about 5 to 6 a day...way more than I would drink, but as a perk, it makes total sense because I can easily drink $98 during a week, which would be 1 or 2 drinks per day. Edited by NLH Arizona

It's crazy expensive, and 18% gratuity is added on top of that price.

2 years ago it was $54 per person, per day. Then it went to $59, then to $69, and now to $79. It is the biggest increase in anything I've seen on NCL in the past 2 years, and yet it's the least talked about on CC. (Probably because so many have it as a promo, and are too busy bitching about having to pay $100 total for it.)

2 years ago it was $54 per person, per day. Then it went to $59, then to $69, and now to $79. It is the biggest increase in anything I've seen on NCL in the past 2 years, and yet it's the least talked about on CC. (Probably because so many have it as a promo, and are too busy bitching about having to pay $100 total for it.)

When it was $54, $59 and $69 what was the price of the drinks you could go up to? At $79 it is $15.

Agreed they are worried about pre-paying the tip (which works for me as it is one less thing I have to worry about on my final bill we do occasional tip above the automatic gratuity, but not always) and how many wines are available by the glass now (which I'm curious how many bottles of wine were getting dumped before they narrowed out the list).

As for the price, I guess I might still buy it if it weren't a promo, as I know I get drinks ranging from Mimosas/blood mary with breakfast (it is vacation after all, lol), a few or more beer/cocktails by the pool, a glass or two of wine with dinner and a nightcap.

I was also just talking with my GF who is going on Royal in July and they are paying some $79 a day and can only get drinks up to $12 instead of the $15 with NCL.

Those prices are crazy high!

In regards to the above poster, Royal Carribean is $69.00 a day but that includes the service charge. It also includes:

Ultimate Package

Cost
: $69.62 per guest, per day (includes service charge)

• Premium coffee

• Premium tea

• Bottled water

• Sparkling water (375ml)

• Still water (500ml)

• Fresh squeezed orange juice

• Call and premium cocktails (up to $10 value)

• Frozen cocktails

• Beers

• Premium wine by the glass (up to $12 value)

• Non-alcoholic cocktails

• Fountain soda with souvenir Coca-Cola cup

• (
    NEW
    ) 40% discount on purchases of bottles of wine

They also have two other packages to choose from, the Premium package including top shelf liquor for $57 a day.

Select Beverage Package

Cost
: $46.02 per guest, per day (includes service charge)

Package includes:

• beer

• house wines by the glass (up to $8 per glass value)

• all non-alcoholic cocktails

• fountain soda

• juices

NEW

• 20% discount on purchases of bottles of wine
    NEW

Premium Beverage Package

Cost
: $57.82 per guest, per day (includes service charge)

Package includes:

• beer

• frozen drinks

• all cocktails including premium brands

• house wines by the glass

• bottled water (500 ml)

• all non-alcoholic cocktails

• fountain soda

• juices

NEW

• 20% discount on purchases of bottles of wine
    NEW

NCL is way out of line with their $79 plus gratuities a day!

To make the ubp worth it some say eight drinks a day need to be ordered.... Think of it this way:

1or2 bloody Mary's or mimosas with breakfast

4 frozen drinks while poolside for 6 hours.

1 pre dinner drink

2 glasses of wine with dinner

1 or 2 drinks after dinner while dancing or at a show.

That's easily 11 drinks in a 16-18 hour time period. Plus a passenger will have some sodas also. The drinks are not very strong and you are on vacation. Now, I've seen many people have 20-30 drinks in a day and somehow they survived. But 8-12 drinks in a day is no big deal IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are very few situations where someone would want to purchase it, hence the price it's at. they are offering it as a perk on almost all sailings, the high price is to increase the 18% charge on those "perks". I can almost guarantee if they removed the UBP packages from the free at sea that they would have to bring down the price to fall in line with other cruise lines. until that happens i assume the high price will stay!

but the fact is they are offering the perk on almost all sailings.

-Matt

If don't get the "free" package, they have priced it more about getting the 18% from promos, it's not likely worth buying. Someone here mentioned a great approach for escape, bringing lots of wine onboard and paying 15/fee each bottle, and buying pitchers of beer, and most liquor drinks in port. Their costs were reasonable and didn't suffer from poor wine selection. You'd have to do the math but thought their approach, even if buy an occasional pool side drink, a significant savings and not too difficult aside from boarding day. (I'd probably roll wine bottles on.)

Some people sail last minute for such great rates I don't feel too bad they can't get UBP included , carryon wine can be a good option for them. I sort of wish they'd allow at least one bottle on for free and then charge the 15/bottle. But it doesn't really matter, I have UBP .

Some people sail last minute for such great rates I don't feel too bad they can't get UBP included
It looks like the latest promo (starting today) gives people UBP (or whatever other perk they want) even for last minute bookings, which is kind of surprising (and I'm sure will make some people really mad if they booked in the last few weeks). Edited by hawkeyetlse

Someone here mentioned a great approach for escape, bringing lots of wine onboard and paying 15/fee each bottle, and buying pitchers of beer, and most liquor drinks in port.

We drink a reasonable amount when on holiday, but as beer and wine drinkers, the UBP has never been worth paying for even at the old rate of $54 per day. If buying bottles of wine with the Viva Vino package and getting beer buckets, you could drink a bottle of wine and a bucket of beer for that cost.

I've enjoyed having the opportunity to have other drinks with the promo package, which will last into 2018 for us, and did buy the package on the Escape Transatlantic due to it being all sea days (even though it still cost more than I would have spent paying per drink), but if the promos end then we will go back to our old ways even if the price of the UBP falls significantly.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that any drink is worth fifteen dollars.

Me neither, and I've never yet seen one on my NCL cruises that costs that, although I hear there are a couple out there.

The price is insane now. But since we keep getting it "free" I can't complain. I'll gladly pay the 199 bucks service charge for the 2 of us.

Remember the outrage 3-ish years ago when it went from 44 bucks to 54 bucks? This latest jump in price is nuts . We have an RCL also booked and they have a better package for almost half the cost- and only those in the cabin who want it need to buy it.

I can't drink enough to justify 700 bucks for a week . My husband can , I'm just getting too old!

Quick question/// We have added our sons to our suite H9- Oldest will be 21 at sailing.. so he has the UBP BUT when I was reviewing my details I realize they have charged the price plus the 18% > I understood that haven passengers dont get charged the grat or is that only for 1 -2 passengers? -

Quick question/// We have added our sons to our suite H9- Oldest will be 21 at sailing.. so he has the UBP BUT when I was reviewing my details I realize they have charged the price plus the 18% > I understood that haven passengers dont get charged the grat or is that only for 1 -2 passengers? -

Haven passengers are not charged service charge on the promo package. When you purchase it for retail price, you pay everything just like everyone else.

Agreed they are worried about pre-paying the tip (which works for me as it is one less thing I have to worry about on my final bill we do occasional tip above the automatic gratuity, but not always) and how many wines are available by the glass now (which I'm curious how many bottles of wine were getting dumped before they narrowed out the list).

As for the price, I guess I might still buy it if it weren't a promo, as I know I get drinks ranging from Mimosas/blood mary with breakfast (it is vacation after all, lol), a few or more beer/cocktails by the pool, a glass or two of wine with dinner and a nightcap.

I was also just talking with my GF who is going on Royal in July and they are paying some $79 a day and can only get drinks up to $12 instead of the $15 with NCL.

What kind of plan is she getting on RCI for that price? I am booked on RCI in November and the best package they have is $49 per day which includes wine, beer,cocktails,bottled water, fresh juices, and premium coffees and teas.

Some have reported that the cost is $59 for summer cruises.:confused:

Bill

I was also just talking with my GF who is going on Royal in July [....] and can only get drinks up to $12 instead of the $15 with NCL.

That is a moot point unless you know that the bar prices are the same on both cruise lines. NCL has also raised their bar list prices significantly lately (three separate times in little over a year).

and can only get drinks up to $12 instead of the $15 with NCL.

This is pretty irrelevent unless they price the drinks the same. You MAY be able to get a drink on Royal costing $12 that on NCL would cost $15.

Edit: D'oh! Sorry Demonyte, I hadn't read your response before posting.

Edited by Burgmeister

What kind of plan is she getting on RCI for that price? I am booked on RCI in November and the best package they have is $49 per day which includes wine, beer,cocktails,bottled water, fresh juices, and premium coffees and teas.

Some have reported that the cost is $59 for summer cruises.:confused:

Bill

As I later said, I believe that she came to that price thinking she had to pay the gratuity on top the $65 a person.