Using CC and “Following”

Please do not be offended. This is just offered to save clutter in otherwise interesting threads. Thank you.

Please consider the following information. There is no need to post in a thread you wish to monitor. If there is a browser that does not show the Thread Tools choice then please disregard all that follows.

At the top of each thread there is a line like this:

Thread Tools ..................Search this Thread ..................Display Modes

If you click on “Thread Tools” you get this:

Thread Tools...............................................Search this Thread

Show Printable Version

Email this Page

Subscribe to this Thread

If you click on “Subscribe to this Thread” you will be shown a screen to confirm the subscription and select the notification plan you want.

After that the thread will show up in your “Subscriptions” folder in your “User Control Panel.”

I think some people do this to let the thread's OP know that people are reading and interested. It serves to encourage them to continue on with the review or whatever they are doing.

If I'm not mistaken I believe Admin has pointed this out previously. Probably helps with their bandwidth/storage costs.

However, if you reply it bumps the tread up to the top of the page and it gets more eyeballs and is easier for people to find.

That type of bump is frowned upon in most web forums. If the discussion has died off, it lets the thread die a natural death.

As for quoting pictures, it doesn't take any additional storage (there is a technical process called deduplication that takes care of that), however it does make the thread longer than necessary.

How about also not quoting the pictures just to say nice pictures.

This!

Especially on a mobile device. Scrolling past a post that has 5 pics in a quote only to read "these pics are awesome!" can be a little annoying.

If you reply to a thread, you get an email whenever there is an additional reply to that thread. Is that similar to subscribing?

Is that a setting? I don't get emails when there are additional replies to something where I have commented :confused:

I was only wondering yesterday how to do this so was very pleased to see this posted BUT nothing happens when I click on the heading on threads! I'm signed in and can obviously reply to posts but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any guidance I'd be very grateful. Many thanks.

Is that a setting? I don't get emails when there are additional replies to something where I have commented :confused:

Go to User CP. It's on upper left of each page and click on edit options.

If you reply to a thread, you get an email whenever there is an additional reply to that thread. Is that similar to subscribing?

That's a setting, and you have your userCP set to subscribe AND get emails upon further replies to all threads you reply to. I would lose my mind if I subscribed to everything and especially if I got emails when responses came in. Therefore I have my userCP set to NOT subscribe and to NOT get emails like that.

I was only wondering yesterday how to do this so was very pleased to see this posted BUT nothing happens when I click on the heading on threads! I'm signed in and can obviously reply to posts but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any guidance I'd be very grateful. Many thanks.

You're in this thread; you don't click on a header. You saw the subject line and you clicked into it and you're currently reading it. So scroll up to the start of this thread.

You'll see "View First Unread", then over to the right you will see (what the OP wrote) "Thread Tools....Search this Thread...Display Modes". Click into Thread Tools and do it.

Edited by mollyeilis

Another tip if your subscribed to threads and you do not see them listed, click the link View All Subscribed Threads. If a thread your subscribed to has no current posts it will disappear from the list but can be brought back by clicking the View All Subscribed Threads. This is for those who are not familiar with this.

Please do not be offended. This is just offered to save clutter in otherwise interesting threads. Thank you.

Please consider the following information. There is no need to post in a thread you wish to monitor. If there is a browser that does not show the Thread Tools choice then please disregard all that follows.

At the top of each thread there is a line like this:

Thread Tools ..................Search this Thread ..................Display Modes

If you click on “Thread Tools” you get this:

Thread Tools...............................................Search this Thread

Show Printable Version

Email this Page

Subscribe to this Thread

If you click on “Subscribe to this Thread” you will be shown a screen to confirm the subscription and select the notification plan you want.

After that the thread will show up in your “Subscriptions” folder in your “User Control Panel.”

Following! :D