Another Tablecloth debate

lele100

Ask for an extra napkin. Put your drink on it. Problem solved.

The only issue I have with this solution is that on the Breeze in Feb, our serving team had trouble just getting the food served to the correct people. I would have been shocked if they were able to get me a napkin within 30 minutes.

We had to ask every night if we wanted something other than water, and had to ask for it to be refilled. It took 10-15 minutes for each request to be fulfilled. One of the nights on this 8 day, they had not even cleaned the table. It still had crumbs and various food droppings from the previous diners.

I would have preferred a tablecloth to prevent the condensation problems and the dripping of the carafe in my food when the server picked it up, as well as helping to keep plates and silverware in place. Overall that was just one of a string of problems we had in the MDR that made it an unsatisfactory experience.

We still enjoyed our cruise, but the entire MDR experience was a huge factor in our decision not to book again with Carnival in the foreseeable future.

Edited by ewenix

Im not sure what part of anything I posted leads you to believe anyone eats at "Mac Donald only". Go ahead and name some restaurants that are not 5 star fine dining that have tablecloths. I will wait. The MDR on ANY mass market cruise line is not fine dining nor 5 star. Its a decent place to be served mediocre mass produced banquet food. Nothing more, nothing less. A table setting only does not a fine dining venue make. Its overkill if anything in a mass market cruise line main dining room. I cant BELIEVE the big deal people are making out of this! LOL

As far as what others eat or how much they weigh, that is none of my business.

Easy . Our last two diners in Miami was in Casablanca and Asian restaurant in Doubletree Hotel Downtown. Both restaurants far from 5 * both had tablecloth.

And MDR on cruise ship it is a fine dining not beer and wings place.

Easy . Our last two diners in Miami was in Casablanca and Asian restaurant in Doubletree Hotel Downtown. Both restaurants far from 5 * both had tablecloth.

And MDR on cruise ship it is a fine dining not beer and wings place.

There are many 5 star that don't. Its relative and doesn't matter.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

And MDR on cruise ship it is a fine dining

If thats what helps you sleep better at night you go on thinking that. ;) A fancy table setting with a tablecloth does not make it fine dining. We are talking massed produced and often frozen Sysco type food here prepared thousands of dishes at a time. Not that there is a thing wrong with that.

The steakhouse would lean more toward fine dining than the MDR and even it didnt have tablecloths.

Im not gonna argue with you anymore but according to Google, this is Casablanca in the Doubletree Miami. I dont see a tablecloth anywhere.

DT_casablanca02_6_677x380_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Edited by ryano

Go ahead and name some restaurants that are not 5 star fine dining that have tablecloths.

We were at a fathers day lunch in a zoo pavilion that had tablecloths once. I think the cloth was more to hide the tables though and it definitely was not 5 star, the elephants made sure of that. The food though was at least as good as anything I've ever been served on a cruise though so I suppose it counts for comparison.

Edited by Sitzmark

We keep a felt pad and tablecloth on our table, to protect it, after having had it recently refinished at breathtaking expense. Carnival's tables will probably look like junk in a couple of years, without protection, but I'm not paying for them so I don't care how much it costs them.

LOL..my folks were going to do that with a grandmother's table...I have her hutch...and well...the decision became...forget about it...wow HAVING THAT DONE IS EXPENSIVE..AGREED. And I cover a simple leafed small table and 4 chairs with a cloth and chair mats..for same reason..then it is nice when I do place mats instead..over 20 years now..lol.

It would not bother my cruise enjoyment..but it's enhancement I would say....I like they are doing it on elegant night mostly...and I do prefer it..but obviously casual Carnival is saving bucks they figure and they don't want to..maybe they do get cheap labor and save enough with laundry...I doubt they are doing it for environment.

Edited by sjn911

OK I don't have dog in this fight but I do have a question....where is the silverware? Do you still have full formal setting or is it a save your fork for dessert kind of thing? I guess it would have to be a simple setting, fork, knife spoon? Otherwise were would you put it all, bare table? Napkin, but you need to put that in your lap?

I am one of those people who do not like silverware touching the table...just a quirk. My Problem. Then again I guess its not any better with a table clothe unless it gets changed between seatings. Anyway just curious.

Originally Posted by GOLDENBONNY viewpost.gif

not everyone eat in Mac Donald only. I probably shock you but even in my house we have tablecloth not only for Xmax but for any dinner with friends and family. It's really sad that people don't care any more how they eat or what they eat . 90% of they cruisers are over 300 lb :o

Did you just say "90 percent of the cruisers are over 300lb's? If so that's just mean and completely untrue

Very untrue, I am a cruiser and I only weight 299 lbs (and that is after the cruise):eek:.

I am not sure re silverware...some folks say that is going down on what they have at first and they bring it with dishes ordered. Some say short on salad forks and butter knives now. Have not yet cruised with this change.

Sometimes I bet it all comes rolled in a napkin now...and they wipe the tables...one could ask for 2 napkins and place in all on that....I assume.

Edited by sjn911

OK I don't have dog in this fight but I do have a question....where is the silverware? Do you still have full formal setting or is it a save your fork for dessert kind of thing? I guess it would have to be a simple setting, fork, knife spoon? Otherwise were would you put it all, bare table? Napkin, but you need to put that in your lap?

I am one of those people who do not like silverware touching the table...just a quirk. My Problem. Then again I guess its not any better with a table clothe unless it gets changed between seatings. Anyway just curious.

On the Dream they would provide silverware when needed. For example, If I ordered a soup they would place a spoon on the table and about a minute later it would be joined by the soup. As for your phobia (I have my own...trust me) about silverware being placed on a bare table I understand Carnival uses a special cleaning solution to sanitize the table between diners. Have no idea how true that is.

I just saw that due to the International Tablecloth Uproar. Carnival is considering adding an optional $20 per day tablecloth fee for those who want it. I believe they are working on a package deal if you get it for the entire cruise.

Sounds like a great deal for only $20 a day. I think the TC fee is waived if you eat in the steakhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Dream they would provide silverware when needed. For example, If I ordered a soup they would place a spoon on the table and about a minute later it would be joined by the soup. As for your phobia (I have my own...trust me) about silverware being placed on a bare table I understand Carnival uses a special cleaning solution to sanitize the table between diners. Have no idea how true that is.

Just off Pride...I got a phobia (i never even thought about it before)after so many posts about germs and silverware on table that I place mine on my bread plate instead of the table. Our server must have noticed as he would place my dessert utensil on my bread plate too instead of on the table.

John Heald posted today (on his F*ceb**k page) that "tablecloths are gone, they are not coming back. The end"

Can we please be done with this and stop beating a dead horse !

d63e9e08366fdc.gif.6f87d93d3254f7dcc8c4989221071c66.gif

Edited by lizardhowson

not everyone eat in Mac Donald only. I probably shock you but even in my house we have tablecloth not only for Xmax but for any dinner with friends and family. It's really sad that people don't care any more how they eat or what they eat . 90% of they cruisers are over 300 lb :o

And a tablecloth will make them thinner? :confused:

I'm so tired of this. Is a tablecloth really going to make or break your cruise? I sure won't let something small like that mess up mine!

At this point, you have to agree that there is some comic relief being provided. :D John Heald just recommended placemats and people are still whizzed off and threatening to leave. LOL

I actually like this :o

13267733_1225875364121689_3915025350473160956_n.jpg?oh=c1d635f263b1eff1cc2237b32544a7a1&oe=57DC3703

Just off Pride...I got a phobia (i never even thought about it before)after so many posts about germs and silverware on table that I place mine on my bread plate instead of the table. Our server must have noticed as he would place my dessert utensil on my bread plate too instead of on the table.

Seriously? Did you ever notice they touch your silverware too? The handles for sure and possibly the actual part you put in your mouth. Do you worry about that as well? Perhaps sanitizing your hands after using your silverware or touching a glass before you eat some bread is in order. Better yet, bring some plastic ware sealed in a little baggie. You know the sets for picnics?

Society has gotten WAY out of hand with the germ thing. Good hand washing and hygiene is important. But some things are just over the top.

Society has gotten WAY out of hand with the germ thing. Good hand washing and hygiene is important. But some things are just over the top.

While I absolutely agree with you, those expressing germ concerns have a phobia. Some on here have even confessed that it is a phobia. Phobias are not based on logic, reasoning or facts and generally those possessing the phobia are not going to be assuaged with a logical argument.

Thanx for the answer, good to know. I never eat on bare table at home its either table clothe, place mat or a paper towel for quick soup and sandwich meal...just the way I was raised and having worked in food service for a while, the only person I trust to clean a table properly is myself. LOL The many joys of being OCD. :D