Upsell, then add passenger, or add passenger, then take upsell?

JustAllie

I'm currently in a studio cabin on the May 29th Breakaway sailing to Bermuda. A friend of mine wants to join me very late in the game -- long past final payment, of course!

I booked through a travel agent, which is sort of complicating things right now. :(

The Upsell department currently has some offers that are pretty attractive, even if I have to pay 2x the price as a single person. So, for example, they offered me the Courtyard Penthouse at $750 per person -- times 2 = $1500 to go from a studio to a Haven Penthouse! :eek: Crazy cheap.

The Upsell dept. people tell me they only deal in upsells, so adding a passenger afterward involves them paying their fare + port fees/taxes.

But wait... if I'm paying double for the Upsell, might that mean that all my friend would have to pay is the port fees & taxes? Or would my friend have to pay half of the current fare for a Penthouse stateroom plus port fees/taxes?

It's very confusing, and going through my travel agent ends up giving me similar prices just to get from a studio cabin to a "guarantee inside" with no promos. Moving up to the Haven through my TA would cost $7000. :rolleyes:

Still... has anyone taken an upsell and then later added another passenger? If so, what was the cost of adding that additional passenger?

It probably would be easier just to tell my friend to get her own cabin and I'll just meet her at the spa/restaurant/bar. :D

Thanks for any insight!

You can't add a passenger to your reservation, you are in a studio and those only hold one person. If you want to take the upsell take it, but your friend is going to have to pay the current fare based on their cabin type, whether they join you in your cabin or are in a cabin of their own.

Edited by zqvol

You can't add a passenger to your reservation, you are in a studio and those only hold one person. If you want to take the upsell take it, but your friend is going to have to pay the current fare based on their cabin type, whether they join you in your cabin or are in a cabin of their own.

So once I'm in a bigger cabin that holds 2/3/4 or more people, my reservation still shows as being for one person only, and I can't add an additional person to my (now HUGE) cabin?

They even offered me an upsell to the 2-bedroom family Haven suite. That cabin holds up to 6 people!!!

FYI I gave up trying to figure out how to make an upsell work, and I just called my travel agent and upgraded us to a spa mini-suite cabin instead.

If any solo travelers ever take an upsell and then try to add a second passenger, let the rest of us know what that second passenger is charged! The whole situation seemed a bit murky to me.

FYI I gave up trying to figure out how to make an upsell work, and I just called my travel agent and upgraded us to a spa mini-suite cabin instead.

If any solo travelers ever take an upsell and then try to add a second passenger, let the rest of us know what that second passenger is charged! The whole situation seemed a bit murky to me.

This came up on our recent Jade cancellation, although it is a different scenario. We were moved from a room for 4 to 2 rooms. Due to some scheduling changes, we're considering bringing one of our older kids along. The fare to add him to our 2nd room is the same as adding a 3rd passenger, very much in line with original pricing.

I would call upsell now, and ask them the price pp to upgrade from mini to haven.

I would call upsell now, and ask them the price pp to upgrade from mini to haven.

I didn't want to bother them since my friend and I are now content and don't want to pay anything more for an upgrade.

But this person in another thread said that they got an upsell on the same sailing from a Mini-suite to a Haven Spa cabin for $750 per person yesterday. I'm not sure if Spa Mini-suite to Haven Spa would be any different -- the Spa Mini-Suite is a bit more expensive than most other mini-suite cabins, I guess. :shrug:

Edited by JustAllie

• 3 weeks later...

allie which spa mini suite (if you have a review i missed it)

i specifically stayed away from them because i worried about the noise potential from above and i did see some specific posts about it. others said no biggie. i'm booked on an MA now on 13 so no chance of 'non cabin' noise really.

allie which spa mini suite (if you have a review i missed it)

i specifically stayed away from them because i worried about the noise potential from above and i did see some specific posts about it. others said no biggie. i'm booked on an MA now on 13 so no chance of 'non cabin' noise really.

We were in 14760. I took photos but haven't posted them yet, sorry. Too busy catching up at work & home! :o

I only noticed the noise from the pool deck above a few times. I was honestly surprised by how little problem there was with noise.

It's a very nice cabin. You do get more shade because the pool deck overhangs the balcony, but I'm a redhead and shade is my friend. :D

good to know about the noise. but that you 'did' hear it but that it wasnt a problem.

can you confirm your bed was in the middle of the room, not by the balcony? i booked a room on the premise that i figured out the bed was by the balcony and i wanted to confirm i was correct based on the deck plan.

i suggest another week off work to catch up at home :)

good to know about the noise. but that you 'did' hear it but that it wasnt a problem.

can you confirm your bed was in the middle of the room, not by the balcony? i booked a room on the premise that i figured out the bed was by the balcony and i wanted to confirm i was correct based on the deck plan.

i suggest another week off work to catch up at home :)

Bed was by the balcony. Couch between bed and closet.

The shower in the bathroom is awesome. I didn't like the spa jets, but the massage setting on the shower head was fantastic. :D

I could not find an electrical outlet by the bed, so I'm glad I brought my portable USB charger so that I could charge my iPhone from that while simultaneously using it as my alarm clock. :)

hmm then i guess i'm reading the plans wrong. https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans

where the 'indent' was i just assumed the bed was, not the sofa. i may be disappointed with my choice..sigh.

i got a suite just for the bigger shower. so i'm glad you enjoyed it. ive heard to bring power strips or extension cords and that seems to be pretty valid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i fear there will be no upsells for my cruise. only 6 spa haven remain for my october date. however for aug 7 there are 10 left. so october is really really popular compared to august. i'm kind of shocked.

also in august there are only about 5 other haven rooms left i think but about 20 left for october. and you know they are a lot more $$$ in august.