Medical care on crossings for serious events

Jacqueline

I recently had a very unfortunate incident while in remote Bhutan where I fell and fractured my hip. I ended up with an emergency surgery there and a revision in Bangkok...just home less than a week. As I live in New York. I have been fantasizing about a round trip crossing once I am back on my feet.

I was wondering what happens when serious conditions occur on a crossing. I have never been a worrier, but now I am really thinking hard about traveling to places where I can't get appropriate and timely care..

We had a table companion who once had a heart attack on a cruise, the medics were there within minutes. Don't know what its like in your New York, bu we have a village in Lincolnshire called New York, and you would probably wait 30 minutes or more for a paramedic!

First you need adequate travel insurance. An accident etc on board would be dealt with by the ship medical service but in serious cases you would be transferred to a hospital ashore. At this stage it would be your insurer who would be responsible and you or someone else would have to contact them. Cunard often send a nurse in serious cases.

I'm sure Cunard have a hospital flagged up in every port of call.

I refuse to worry about anything particularly when I am cruising.

David

take a QM2's 7 day crossing as an example

100_0073_zpsflljatbs.jpg

and that's well outside of typical helicopter range (typically a few hundred miles)

on days 3 and 4 you can easily be 2+ days sailing from land .... {Azores}

You are pretty much dependant on what the ship carries in this situation . . .

Regarding transport to a shore-side hospital:

The ship will inform the 24 hour emergency office at Carnival in Southampton that they need to evacuate to hospital and give them details of the medical condition and the ship's location. The office then makes all the arrangements, including finding the nearest port to handle the emergency.

The medical centres are very well equipped (QM2's centre is the largest civilian one afloat.) They can x-ray, set fractures, suture, take blood., set up IVs etc. in fact the only thing I can think of that they can't do is operate.

I was carrying a very robust policy and actually had both a helicopter and a medjet !

It's not the expense . Had that covered!

I'm only 57 and just had two surgeries in a week followed by a 20 hour flight home (with a nurse, covered by insurance). I would think it unlikely that I would sustain another injury of that magnitude again, but I did need surgery optimally within 24 hours of the injury. I have never had a hospitalization prior to this or a surgery, nor do I have any pre-existing conditions.

So, I guess what was implied by ollies um, may be the case. There are def transatlantics with ports, although I can't guess how far they are off the normal course.

According to my travel nurse, there are many, many pax that sustain serious injuries. In part I am sure, driven by demographics.

Of course, the unique feature to the TA are the days at sea and potential distances at port for a few (?) of the days.

I couldn't find any threads on this topic, but I haven't been on this site for a while!

The air rescue squadron of Azores (portuguese air force) conducts many mid-atlantic operations from ships, with the very large air ranges (they state more than 500 nautical miles...). Assuming the canadian air force is able to do the same, it means that probably QM2 is never more than 1-2 days outside of operational range for an helicopter. For most conditions that is an adequate time for keeping medical stabilization until proper airlift.

In youtube you have many videos of of air rescues by the portuguese air force:

BTW, I have the same concerns regarding medical care during a crossing :(

This information. Is very helpful and just what I was looking for!

This is all terribly unlikely, I know, but it is wonderful to know that Cunard has such a comprehensive plan in place to deal with these. And not just for me but others as well. I formerly volunteered as an EMT and am glad to know that anyone in a critical situation can be brought to care.

It also makes me think that Cunard has a great many other procedures in place as well.

We actually witnessed an air evacuation of two patients on our Hawaiian to San Diego return when we were still 2 days away from the closest land. It was amazing as there were two huge helicopters sent and two C-130's (for refueling) to take the patients back to San Diego. We were able to actually watch to baskets take the passengers off. The whole maneuver was handled superbly by Captain and staff.

1) the capabilities of the US military far exceed that of most other countries. How many countries do you think have mid air refueling to helos?

2) that must have been one very sick person . . . altho the military will sometimes take on the missions for the training benefit .... btw, USCG which does most of the helo medivacs you read about does not have inflight refueling capability so this case was handled by the Air Force .... not their normal mission but sometimes done, as I said, as practice for the "PJs"

1) the capabilities of the US military far exceed that of most other countries. How many countries do you think have mid air refueling to helos?

2) that must have been one very sick person . . . altho the military will sometimes take on the missions for the training benefit .... btw, USCG which does most of the helo medivacs you read about does not have inflight refueling capability so this case was handled by the Air Force .... not their normal mission but sometimes done, as I said, as practice for the "PJs"

Google is your friend:) Canada, UK, Israel, Iran, France ......

It was quite an operation. About 7 a.m. the Captain came on to announce that we shouldn't be alarmed at planes and helicopters that would shortly be hovering over the ship as two passengers were being evacuated for medical reasons. We watched as the helicopter lowered the basket for the first patient. The C-130's were circling. There was a retired naval officer standing close to us and he was telling us that the two had been sent in case there was any problem and would be used as a backup. The whole operation of airlifting the patients took about an hour and then it was over.

The Captain sent a short note to each cabin reiterating the medical event happenings and thanked everyone for listening to instructions and allowing staff to take care of the situation. The day before we returned to San Diego we were told that the patients had successfully made the trip and were recovering in the hospital. All the passengers that we spoke to were really impressed with how everything was handled.

Until fairly recently all large ships - including the QE2 - had an operating theatre. I have attended talks by two ship's doctors who have explained that surgery at sea was rare. The most frequently performed operation was an appendectomy. As someone who suffered a ruptured appendix (at home, not at sea) I have wondered how this is dealt with on a ship that may be a few days from helicopter range.

I believe a patient suffering from appendicitis can be stabilised for a while to prevent the appendix from rupturing. My surgeon explained to me that a ruptured appendix and the resulting peritonitis is certain death if surgery is not performed quickly.

A fascinating read is a book entitled C-Six by Dr Nigel Roberts who, at the time the book was published in 1988, had been the principal medical officer of the QE2 for 10 years.

I do recall the operating theater back in the day!

I and I definitely remember the c-6 location on the QE2. In my mind, I thought , Sea Sick, which just came back to me 33 years later. I got the shot! It was a late fall hurricane on a round trip from New York to the Caribbean. My husband and I were probable 50 years younger than most the other cruisers. I remember the armchair aerobics class.

Of course now that I am home with a broken hip, the laughs on me!

Think of the bright side.

The ships all have wonderful mortuaries.

Stewart

Yes, I hear they're really cool! :cool:

So popular, in fact, that passengers are dying to get in!:eek:

Salacia:D