Glacier Gardens Questions

pina colada girl

Hello to all! We are going to Alaska on May 29 - June 6, 2016. Has anyone been to Glacier Gardens in Juneau this year? If so, are the flowers blooming yet? Would it be worth it to go to the gardens in early June? Can anyone give me any advice on transportation to the gardens from the cruise dock? This is our first trip to Alaska and we don't really know what to do.

I have one other question. Is the Blue bus or White bus the best way to go to Mendenhall Glacier? How do I get tickets? Is Mendenhall Glacier and Glacier Gardens possible to do in one day?

Thanks in advance for your response!!

We wanted to take the regular bus out to Glacier Gardens but were in Juneau on a holiday and the buses weren't running. So we just called a cab, and then we arranged to have her come back to pick us up. GG didn't take as long as we thought it would, so we ended up calling her early.

Bus directions are on GG's website.

Edited by ShipsandDipper

I haven't been to the gardens this year. However, we did visit the gardens a few years ago in the late May time frame and the flowers were not all out yet --- many were along the pathway still to be planted. You might want to call Glacier Gardens and see if the flowers are out to save you from being disappointed.

I haven't been to the gardens this year. However, we did visit the gardens a few years ago in the late May time frame and the flowers were not all out yet --- many were along the pathway still to be planted. You might want to call Glacier Gardens and see if the flowers are out to save you from being disappointed.

I agree. I think you may be too early.

I went a few years ago and it was too early. Very little was out.

Edited by Coral

Transportation options to the Gardens are listed on their web site:

http://www.glaciergardens.com/scheduletransportation/

you can buy tickets to the blue or white buses at the pier, $30pp. If there are few of you, a cab might be cheaper, $35 each way, about a 20 minute ride ow.

You can get by with an hour at Mendenhall but 2 is nicer.

Ask what time the last bus leaves Mendenhall; they get full.

Edited by mapleleaves

You might also consider a rental car, if any are still available. It would give you more flexibility to continue on past Mendenhall if you have time when you're done there and not limit you to the shuttle schedule or cab availability.