Jamacia Rum where and $??

I am planning on getting some rum in Jamacia to give as gifts. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it costs? How do I bring it home, and where is the best place to buy it at?

I want to pick up a couple of bottles, so I guess I will also need to carry it home in my carryon.

I don't want to get ripped off, :eek: so hope someone here can help me with the best location to pick some up, someone who is trustworthy.

Thanks all,

Jly

misspelled rum it would have been strange to buy run, LOL

What ports are you stopping at? On our cruise last year, we found rum prices to be better in the Grand Caymans rather than Jamaica. We paid $9.95 for a liter of Myers Rum, but you could get if for as low as $8.95 if you bought a case. You can get other "no name" rums for even less than that. Although some people are currently boycotting buying liquor on the RCCL ships themselves, probably the best deal around is buying onboard. If you stop in Jamaica for instance and find a rum at what you think is a good price, take a digital photo of the price while holding a cruise compass in the picture. Then wait until the Caymans stop. If it was cheaper in Jamaica, don't buy it in the Caymans, but board the ship and show them the digital picture of the lowest price you found. The ship will honor it, or at least they used to...

We got our rum in Jamaica, right as we got of the ship. I can't remember the exact price, but it wasn't too bad. We bought about 4 bottles. We had to check it when we got on the ship. I think they kept it until we got off, not positive, my husband handled it.

I agree and was going to also recommend Appleton Rum. It is great and can be very inexpensive. Go to Island Village if you don't go on the tour of the Appleton Rum estate and factory. I think you should be able to get it for under $10 per bottle. They will supply you with cardboard carryons that you take with you as your personal item on the flight.

Havent cruised into Jamaica but have spent 2 - one week vacations there

Appleton Gold !!!! Best rum around. Prices are about the same, unless like a previous poster mentioned, the more you buy - the better the price.

Always ---always bargain in Jamaica.

I agree with tasbm1, Sangsters Rum Cream is the best. I pick up some when in Jamaica and serve it at Christmas dinner. Everyone just loves it. Peat Taylor said it beat Bailey's in a taste test. You can't go wrong with it. It makes a great gift.

Appletons Estate 21 yr old about $25 a bottle. NOT available stateside but the 18 yr old is.

We got ours a Sonji's Plaza or Taj Mahal in Ocho Rios

You can get cheaper but nothing like a glass of Appletons, a fine cigar and a cup of Jamaica Bluemountain Coffee - Life is good

Not a big rum drinker but bought a great "Boat Drinks" book at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios and then 3 pints of Appleton rum to make mojitos... It's excellent rum... and very inexpensive in the shops at the port.... bought pints for packing (due to other stuff we had) and I think three of them were $7....maybe 8...

Archived