Escargot???

Yes, this is a serious question. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which themed night on AOS they serve escargot. I want to make reservations at Portofino, and I have been told that Caribbean night is worth missing in the main dining room. I just want to make sure that isn't the same night they serve those slimey, slippery snails. I really do LOVE them.

Yes, odd question. But I don't want to miss out!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if all ships use the same recipe.... but the ones I had on the Majesty were the BEST I have eaten anywhere! I had 2 orders, but dare I say they were really rich in the sauce they used. I think I overdid it on the rich food that night :eek: .

They serve them on the first formal night, so on your cruise that would be Monday night. My wife and I always got to Portofino's or Chops on Caribbean night. The night you go to Portofinos make sure you atleast order one flourless chocolate cake for dessert, it's the best.

I too love those ....'slippery little suckers"

You can order them in advance....I have in the past and never have been rejected.

I just tell my waiter that I want them the next evening and he/she will make sure you get them....If for some reason the waiter says no, speak with the maitre'd or restaurant manager. Trust me you will get them

My son also loves Caesar salad and eats it very day at home....so on the cruise he gets one every dinner. DH loves shrimp coctail and orders it every evening.

They really do want to please you, so don't be embarassed to ask for this type of thing.

Robin

I'm all about trying new foods. But escargot is one I have never tried. But after reading so much on these boards, I think I will have to try it when we cruise Legend this January.

My question is...how do you eat the darn things? I've eaten oysters cooked lots of ways, is it served kind of like that? Will I have to figure out how to get them out of their shell? Can I ask the waiter to show me or will that make me look like a big dummy????

Thanks for any help.

A...

They are not in thir shells. The are served in a round small metal plater that has 5 or so concaved bumps in it to hold the snails in place. They are covered with cheese, garlic and alot of butter. I just eat them with a fork.

Hi ...

My Name is Littlebit...

and I love those little slimey things wallowing in garlic and butter sauce.

I love too that it really grosses my TC when I order them on our cruises!

In some restaurants they are served in faux shells and you have to dig them out with a special utensil made just for that purpose.

Scoop those little gems of flavor out with your fork and let their essence coat your tongue as they slide paste your teste buds, but don't forget to dip your bread in the succulent sauce that is left in the plate!

Puff pastry? Sacre blu! Wouldn't dream of it.

I too love those ....'slippery little suckers"

You can order them in advance....I have in the past and never have been rejected.

I just tell my waiter that I want them the next evening and he/she will make sure you get them....If for some reason the waiter says no, speak with the maitre'd or restaurant manager. Trust me you will get them

My son also loves Caesar salad and eats it very day at home....so on the cruise he gets one every dinner. DH loves shrimp coctail and orders it every evening.

They really do want to please you, so don't be embarassed to ask for this type of thing.

Robin

Ever since I learned that you could order things that were not on the menu, I decided that I would like escargot and shrimp coctail every night. Ummmm. I also plan to pre-order two lobster tails.

Erin -- isn't great that once you get past the fact that they are actually SNAILS and they're covered in such a succulent garlic butter sauce, they're AWESOME ? There are never enough rolls at the table when escargot are served :p .

Snail Scoopers of the World UNITE ! :D

Hi,

I first tried them on an RCI cruise several years ago and also fell in LOVE with them. The previous poster is correct that they are served in a metal dish with depressions filled with butter, garlic and parmesan cheese. They are absolutely awesome! I found out on my Voyager cruise that we could get them other nights they weren't on the menu and for our last two cruises we had them several nights. Some of our tables mates also ordered them when they heard us order them so we all had lots of Escargot on those cruises.

So don't worry about what nights they are available, just be sure to ask early in your cruise and you can get your fill!!!

So here is my question. I too adore them. But is it the snails, or is it really the butter and garlic that are the attraction?

I eat the snails, but then there is not one drop of the sauce left by the time I have finished.

I would probably stab my waiter's hand with the teeny fork if he tried to take it away before the dish was totally consumed.

How do you all feel about this?

celtic

i never knew it before reading it here that you can ask the waiter for a particular appetizer each night...and in Jan it will be out 5th cruise....LOOk what we have been missing.

My dear kids love the escargot and usually savor 2 or 3 helpings each cruise. NOw they can feast on them each night. They are only 9 and 10 !

I think it's all that butter and garlic that does it for me. I have eaten escargot exactly 15 times in my life. Does anyone wanna guess how many cruises I've been on? Right you are, 15!

After I, mentally, got past the fact that I was chewing on a slug, they went down pretty smoothly. :)

You're supposed to chew them? About 15 years ago I went out to lunch with some co-workers and they ordered escargot. I didn't want to try it, but one of them offered me $50 if I would. I gathered up the courage, popped it in my mouth and just swallowed it whole. I felt ill for some time afterwards, but got my $50 :D

So here is my question. I too adore them. But is it the snails, or is it really the butter and garlic that are the attraction?

I eat the snails, but then there is not one drop of the sauce left by the time I have finished.

I would probably stab my waiter's hand with the teeny fork if he tried to take it away before the dish was totally consumed.

How do you all feel about this?

celtic

I thought you were SUPPOSED to soak up all the sauce with your bread and eat that too? Please don't tell me I've been wrong all these years.

Archived