Escargot???

Hard to believe that this is page 3 on Escargot!!:D Happens to be my favorite as well and I have a tendency to order it about every 3rd night. My waiter gets so used to my requests that he beats me to the question after the second time. LOL! Ah...yes......the sopping with bread.....till the plate's clean:D

Rick

Now about the lobster.2 years ago while on EOS we were told no more lobster for us after we ate 2 . So this Jan on Mariner i am having the kids order 2 each ( one of the kids hate it) so this way I am getting at least my 2 plus one of hers.... Hubby will get the other..... that will make 3 of them! There are ways around this limit of 2! Any one heard that this has changed?

I thought you were SUPPOSED to soak up all the sauce with your bread and eat that too? Please don't tell me I've been wrong all these years.

I have actually seen some very odd people leave the garlic butter. Can't understand it myself. I ,personally, would pick up the dish and lick it clean. But unfortunately, my mom taught me manners. Darn!

celtic

Hold it........hold it............hold it....... Where's the moderator???? How can this go on.......and on ..........and on.... oh,, where's the bread?, oh, my gosh this just tastes wonderful!......just another swipe with the bread.

Oh, waiter, did I just order one order of Escarcot?? Sorry, I meant two (2), I just didn't know what I was thinking, I shared them with my wife(GF, SO) and they just flew off of the plate! A second round please!!....

Can you taste the garlic, the butter, the herbs.........almost the next best thing to an orga.....

Just how one man feels!!!

Rick

Now that I am drooling....Does anyone have a decent recipe?

Here I come to save the day!!

Escargots Bourguignonne (this is actually from the RCCL recipe book)

Garlic Butter

2 T chopped fresh parsley

2 cloves of garlic, finely minced

1/2 t dijon mustard

freshly ground white pepper to taste

1 1/2 sticks :eek: of butter (so worth it!)

1/2 t worcestershire sauce

1/2 t cognac (optional)

Escargots

24 canned snails, drained.

1 medium shallot, finely chopped

1 T dry sherry

salt to taste

French baguette slices

Instructions:

1. For the garlic butter: in a food processor, combine the parsley, garlic and mustard. Season with white pepper. Process for 1 minute. Add 1 stick of butter, the worcestershire sauce and cognac, and process for 2 minutes. Transfer the butter mixture to a small bowl and set aside.

2. For the snails: rinse the snails in a small colander under cold running water. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. In a saute pan, heat the remaining 1/2 stick of butter over med. heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent. Add the snails and saute until completely heated through, about one minute. Stir in the sherry and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool.

3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Transfer the snails to shells or to snail plates (if using the shells, divide them among 4 ovenproof dishes). Cover each snail completely with the reserved butter mixture.

4. Bake for a few minutes, or just until the snails are hot and the butter is completely melted and brown on top (do not overbake or the flavor of the butter will be compromised). Serve immediately with slices of the French baguette for dipping.

This recipe is quoted verbatim from the cookbook. I made these last year for Xmas with the family and they were a huge hit. I even went so far as to order the snail plates off of the net (12 for about $35.00 I think). Not every one likes snails so I also made some with peeled and deveined shrimp instead. I found the snails at our local Super Target grocery area, however, I have seen them at just about all the local grocery stores. If yours doesn't carry them, ask them to order them for you.

Oh yeah, I also have the flourless chocolate cake recipe if anyone is interested. :D Made this last year at Xmas also (same meal), another huge "hit". The reason for the quotes is this, NEVER open a spring form pan without making sure you have a hold of the bottom!! I just picked it up off the floor and served it and nobody knew the difference.:rolleyes:

Now you guys have really done it!! LOL Here I was all set to finally try escargot on our next cruise. Then I had to read the words "slimey" and "slippery". That did it for me. Even the thought of oysters gags me. Guess I'll never know what they taste like now.

Now you guys have really done it!! LOL Here I was all set to finally try escargot on our next cruise. Then I had to read the words "slimy" and "slippery". That did it for me. Even the thought of oysters gags me. Guess I'll never know what they taste like now.

You WILL be missing out!

Tarps14,

Thanks a bunch for the recipe. Now I will have to get DH to mak them for me. As you can tell, he is the cook. I just make reservations:D

Archived