Can we board, and then get off the ship for a while?

beacha

We are sailing from Norfolk, VA on the Sunshine June 10. There is a huge festival on the downtown waterfront that day. Will we be able to check in and board the ship, and then leave to walk around the festival for a couple of hours? The ship leaves at 6:00p.m. Thank you in advance. The reps from Carnival did not know.

Personally I wouldn't want to wait on the security line twice, especially after going early with the rush to checkin and being worried about not having enough time to check out the festival. If it's that important I would go to the festival before going to the port, that way your checking it out the festival while the masses are checking in. And then head to port for the tail end of check in.

It should not be a problem. The festival will be adjacent to where the ship docks. Security goes pretty quick after the initial rush and fiasco like what happened last year. If you have all of your things already in your cabin and are bringing the bare minimum off and back on it will be a breeze the second time around.

This is from on the Glory in Norfolk May 2013.

e2a22e3ab12e6c91bf7c0a0a766e4e19.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

Personally I wouldn't want to wait on the security line twice, especially after going early with the rush to checkin and being worried about not having enough time to check out the festival. If it's that important I would go to the festival before going to the port, that way your checking it out the festival while the masses are checking in. And then head to port for the tail end of check in.

I lived in Norfolk for many years and this is very good advice. Check your luggage with the porters, wander around the festival and return to the pier when the crush of guest check in has passed. Win-win.

Thanks, everyone. Great pic from the ship, Firemanbobswife. I didn't know we could leave bags with the porters before, but that makes sense to do. Usually ships leave Norfolf a little earlier than 6 p.m.