Sad day

It has been 6 months of waiting since my last legit day off.

Unfortunately I had to send my mom and son on our Oasis cruise that leaves tomorrow alone. Family comes first and my mom ended up in the hospital all alone.

Unfortunately I learned the hard way how important insurance is as not only did I lose my cruise fare but I lost my Southwest companion fare which cost me basically $1000 to still send my wife and son on the cruise despite everything already being paid in full, for all 3 of us well in advance.

Painful learning experience and now I know how important insurance is.

Unfortunately I had to send my mom and son on our Oasis cruise that leaves tomorrow alone. Family comes first and my mom ended up in the hospital all alone.

Unfortunately I learned the hard way how important insurance is as not only did I lose my cruise fare but I lost my Southwest companion fare which cost me basically $1000 to still send my wife and son on the cruise despite everything already being paid in full, for all 3 of us well in advance.

Sorry for your situation. Every time I book any time away I know I may get yanked back into reality by somebody else's health issues. Nevertheless, I self insure. In my perspective, the companion fare "loss" you experienced is not a loss, but a sunk cost. Done, gone, not a factor in decisions on what to do next. It is hard to take, but the good news is that you are able to stay home (as opposed to doing an emergency flight back home) and your mother gets your support and your family gets a cruise.

I know it's disappointing. Had to cancel a nice trip to take care of my dog who was fighting his 4th different cancer. So depressing seeing everyone's posts about the very trip I should have been on. Turns out I had to put my dog down during that time and realized that vacation can always be taken. You are very kind to take care of your Mom. Hopefully you'll get rewarded and get to go on another cruise soon. Prayers for you Mom!

So sorry about your Mom, I hope she gets well soon. Also sorry you missed your cruise. We had to cancel a cruise last month as I was quite ill with bronchitis and had a fever. Thankfully we did have the insurance so all is good. After over 30 cruises (all with insurance) this was the first one we had to cancel. So I'm not sure how much we spent on unused insurance over the years but I was glad to have it this time. It is an individual decision. I just feel safer with the insurance if we ever needed evacuation or something.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the well wishes.

THere will be another cruise soon so it is not the end of the world.

My wife and I both work long hours and vacations are about doing thing with our son and making the time about him. He knows this and will remember forever the cruise he took with just his mom. He is already planning on stepping in at Chops to take my place knowing that is my wives favorite meal and she probably wouldn't go without me.

I have definitely learned the insurance mistake and am grateful this didn't happen while we were gone.

My only negative comment is I really feel Southwest gouged me big time. I paid full price for my ticket and my sons ticket and with the companion fare my wife traveled for free with me. I earned the companion fare perk and I feel this is a crappy way to deal with a good customer. They would not let me change the name on my ticket to hers at that fare or make any other reasonable accommodation to get my wife on the flight. Without me her companion ticket was null and void despite my fare being paid for. I even asked if I didn't cancel my flight and ate my ticket cold she still fly on her booked companion fare and the answer was no. Basically it was a $1000 for a last minute flight or no seat. She even lost her boarding spot and had to board separately from my son. I was a big Southwest supporter until this incident. i will be hard pressed to support them moving forward though.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the well wishes.

THere will be another cruise soon so it is not the end of the world.

My wife and I both work long hours and vacations are about doing thing with our son and making the time about him. He knows this and will remember forever the cruise he took with just his mom. He is already planning on stepping in at Chops to take my place knowing that is my wives favorite meal and she probably wouldn't go without me.

I have definitely learned the insurance mistake and am grateful this didn't happen while we were gone.

My only negative comment is I really feel Southwest gouged me big time. I paid full price for my ticket and my sons ticket and with the companion fare my wife traveled for free with me. I earned the companion fare perk and I feel this is a crappy way to deal with a good customer. They would not let me change the name on my ticket to hers at that fare or make any other reasonable accommodation to get my wife on the flight. Without me her companion ticket was null and void despite my fare being paid for. I even asked if I didn't cancel my flight and ate my ticket cold she still fly on her booked companion fare and the answer was no. Basically it was a $1000 for a last minute flight or no seat. She even lost her boarding spot and had to board separately from my son. I was a big Southwest supporter until this incident. i will be hard pressed to support them moving forward though.

That is disappointing with SW. Should have let you change the ticket, but I guess rules r rules. And lets face it no other airlines grant companion tickets for a year. Lucky you. Didn't your canceled ticket cost go into their bank for future use?

As u said your son and wife will have a wonderful time.

Speedy recovery wished for MOM.....

Edited by land lover