Just off The Coral - Helpful Hints

simigirl

Thanks for your review.

We will be boarding the Coral Princess on 27 August in Whittier. We will be staying at the Captain Cook in Anchorage.

One of my major complaints about most cruise lines is that they will not provide transfer information to the customers. Princess instructs customers to get transfer information from their representative at the Anchorage airport. I wish they would provide a map with "who-what-when-where and how".

Me too! Four times on that class of ship and every single time, I'm completely confused even though I mentally KNOW I should be headed forward for the buffet. Drives me bonkers! I guess you can't teach an old dog a new trick! :mad:

LOL. I love that forward-facing buffet with its great views.

Come the revolution, Princess will provide Bumble & bumble products. To the ramparts, mes amis! We must not falter in the face of injustice and adversity! (Sorry, I was reading Victor Hugo earlier . . . )

This had me laughing out loud at my desk....just saw Les Mis in London and my daughter is currently reading it and walking around singing the soundtrack....

Thanks for your review.

We will be boarding the Coral Princess on 27 August in Whittier. We will be staying at the Captain Cook in Anchorage.

One of my major complaints about most cruise lines is that they will not provide transfer information to the customers. Princess instructs customers to get transfer information from their representative at the Anchorage airport. I wish they would provide a map with "who-what-when-where and how".

Thats one of the reasons we take the Alaska RR from downtown to Whittier.

The train pulls up right next to the ship.

Once you give them your luggage at the station in Anchorage you don't see it again until its in your cabin.

Nice relaxing ride.

Thanks for your review.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are referring to a transfer from the airport to hotel or hotel to ship. We took a cab to the hotel. We purchased bus transfers through Princess with our cruise. We took the short walk to The Egan Center and dropped off our luggage and was told what time to return for the bus transfer. We walked around a bit then went back and boarded our bus. Beautiful ride with great narration. Luggage arrive in our cabin a few hours later.

Hope this helps. Have a great time! Wish I was going again!!

• 2 weeks later...
We just got off the Coral this morning. We were southbound from Whitter to Vancouver. We stayed at the Captain Cook. There is a liquor store right across the street. QUOTE]

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking at booking the Coral Princess for this same voyage. My understanding is you cannot take Liquor on the ship. Is this true? My husband is going to want to have a drink in the room in the afternoons and is not going to walk to a bar to get one to bring back. We are thinking of doing a Suite and it says "mini bar". Can these mini bars be refilled? Will room service bring drinks? Can you sneak on your own mini bottles?

We just got off the Coral this morning. We were southbound from Whitter to Vancouver. We stayed at the Captain Cook. There is a liquor store right across the street. QUOTE]

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking at booking the Coral Princess for this same voyage. My understanding is you cannot take Liquor on the ship. Is this true? My husband is going to want to have a drink in the room in the afternoons and is not going to walk to a bar to get one to bring back. We are thinking of doing a Suite and it says "mini bar". Can these mini bars be refilled? Will room service bring drinks? Can you sneak on your own mini bottles?

I would not recommend trying to sneak on liquor. It might be more trouble than it's worth. The mini bar consists of some liquor and some not. It's possible to by liquor for the room through room service.

You can purchase bottles for your room.

Another option to save $ is for your husband to hit the special every afternoon and evening at (3-4) (9-10) in Wheelhouse. All drinks are buy one and get another for a dollar. Lots of people purchase and store extras in their refrigerators for future in room enjoyment.

If you want to try to pack (smuggle) something, sure you can try it. But be ready to surrender it without protest.;)

You can purchase bottles for your room.

Another option to save $ is for your husband to hit the special every afternoon and evening at (3-4) (9-10) in Wheelhouse. All drinks are buy one and get another for a dollar. Lots of people purchase and store extras in their refrigerators for future in room enjoyment.

If you want to try to pack (smuggle) something, sure you can try it. But be ready to surrender it without protest.;)

I fully agree.

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking at booking the Coral Princess for this same voyage. My understanding is you cannot take Liquor on the ship. Is this true? Correct. Only wine/Champagne.

My husband is going to want to have a drink in the room in the afternoons and is not going to walk to a bar to get one to bring back. We are thinking of doing a Suite and it says "mini bar". Can these mini bars be refilled? Yes, but for a charge. The liquor bottles are 50ML size in the min-bar. There are two-bottles each of four kinds, but you can trade any of them for some of an included kind you prefer.

Will room service bring drinks? Not mixed drinks. Can bring the 50 ML bottles of 375ML bottles.

Can you sneak on your own mini bottles? not supposed to

see above in red

Thanks for the tip regarding train transfer, Colo Cruiser. My husband and I both love a train journey.

We have never sailed on Princess before, only ever Cunard, and never boarded a ship anywhere but Southampton so this is a big change for us!

Has anyone any other suggestions for transferring from Anchorage to Whittier and should we use transfers arranged by Princess, or do our own thing?

Thanks for the tip regarding train transfer, Colo Cruiser. My husband and I both love a train journey.

We have never sailed on Princess before, only ever Cunard, and never boarded a ship anywhere but Southampton so this is a big change for us!

Has anyone any other suggestions for transferring from Anchorage to Whittier and should we use transfers arranged by Princess, or do our own thing?

I was going from the cruise to meeting my Globus tour group in Anchorage. I found a nice tour that included several stops along the way-- salmon hatchery, conservation center, and Aleyska ski resort. Very nice day-- I DON'T recommend the company however (Anchorage tours and transfers) as I had a BIG issue with the driver/guide using his phone to google addresses while he was driving with his thigh.

Be aware that you MUST make advanced plans-- there are no options when you arrive for private transfers (taxi, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums