feeding the fish..

Many of the fish in oceans, rivers, and streams are fed while young in hatcheries and before they are released into the wild. They quickly adapt to their environment and learn to forage for themselves.

There is a difference between fry in a hatchery and adults in open environment.

Don't muck with the open environment.

There is a difference between fry in a hatchery and adults in open environment.

Don't muck with the open environment.

It's so interesting to find a poster you in the past disagreed with and and had polar opposite opinions then find 100%agreement on another topic. But yet here it is!

I find it funny that some people are saying it is okay because employees or guides do it...if the guide jumped off a bridge would you do it too?

Don't feed the fish...don't ride on Dolphins...just cause someone says it is okay does not mean it is. Do research via marine biologists and REAL animal experts! not Mr. Guide paid $10 to entertain some stupid tourists...

Think. It is not okay to feed wildlife no matter WHERE you are! Near me is an animal wildlife rescue that has wild animals that were hand fed from babies. They also help recoup wild animals who are injured and return them back to the wild. People feed the cute deer, silly foxes, majestic swan, or funny peacock...Then the people feeding them got bored or move away....now these animals have no idea how to live in their own.

My hubby volunteers there...it s a real concern. JUST STOP.

and what happens if the fish dont like that brand or type.they could turn on you,throw a tantrum and leave the table.

Please check the sugar content as well,or we will end up with obese fish in the future,which could cost millions to correct.

One option is here in australia we send snorkelers out with a zip-lock bag,with tuna chunks and fish blood,once in water,open and empty,and then float around marveling at the really big fish that have been attracted,they will be easily noticeable,as they will have big fins sticking out of their backs.some have really big smiles,some odd heads shaped like a hammer.

Please enjoy:):):eek:;)

love it!!!

Not sure about the fish, but the seagulls love alka seltzer :D

Omg I just spit soda all over my computer! The visuals of exploding sea gulls is to much! As I say this husband says it also works on frogs.. although I have NO idea how he knows this ! :confused:

Hey. How about the concept of offsetting the cruise ship pollution by being thoughtful with everything else.

Offset the cruise ship pollution by being mindful of everything else. If that's not a self-justifying statement, I don't know what is.

Omg I just spit soda all over my computer! The visuals of exploding sea gulls is to much! As I say this husband says it also works on frogs.. although I have NO idea how he knows this ! :confused:

LMAO! I was cracking up as I was typing it :D

Big fishies eat little fishies, and sea turtles eat jellyfishies-----FEH.

And all the blood and guts,that drift to the bottom,then rot,and the cockroaches of the sea dispose of them.And the cockroaches of the sea are,DRUMROLL, Lobster and Crayfish.

Then we catch them and eat them.

Then the whole cycle starts over again.:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by mrs and mrs

You do realize that's an urban myth, right? Alka Seltzer does not make an animal explode.

It's something that sounds like innocent fun but could do more damage in the long run.

If you are interested in feeding fish, take an excursion that has that included. I have done the stingray feeding excursions where they gave us squid, we jump in and they come eat it out of our hands. It was a lot of fun, scary because we did it after the whole steve irwin incident, but still fun!

Feeding the fish does no harm to the ecosystem. In fact it may even help it along some. The oceans are vast. Fish will "stay at home", but if they have to they will follow the feed. If you feed the smaller fish, this in turn will support the even smaller fish that the ones you are feeding normally eat. Now you have more "feeder" fish which in turn will support the smaller fish which will support the bigger fish and so on. Again, the fish will go to where the food is, whether it is natural or man made(which also includes extra fishing bait from fisherman, skin, bones, and carcasses from a days catch, garbage that gets into the water, dead animals that drown, etc). The few dog biscuits that people are feeding fish will never make a difference.

It's something that sounds like innocent fun but could do more damage in the long run.

If you are interested in feeding fish, take an excursion that has that included. I have done the stingray feeding excursions where they gave us squid, we jump in and they come eat it out of our hands. It was a lot of fun, scary because we did it after the whole steve irwin incident, but still fun!

Folks have been feeding the fish on the Bermuda beaches more than a Hundred years with no signs of wear and tear.

You do realize that's an urban myth, right? Alka Seltzer does not make an animal explode.

It may be but it is still visualy a site ! I have had 1 or 2 encounters with sea gull on my shoulders! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My 1st wreck dive in Bermuda was relatively shallow at about 85'. I was one of the 1st divers in, so I was near the bottom waiting for everyone else, and a Sergeant Major bit me on the arm.

I have also scuba'd in Pennecamp Park in Key Largo. One trip several people were using Chhez-Whiz, & the fish were grabbing it like crazy. One diver actually started to wave a frankfurter around. The only fish that it attracted was a barracuda (the diver dropped the hot dog very quickly).

It's illegal to feed fish in most marine preserves. The problem isn't just the fish, but the living coral reef you are snorkeling next to, as the uneaten food can affect it.

Tell that to the people in the US Virgin Island's. In St Thomas they give out dog biscuits when you rent snorkel gear at the beaches