Hawaii Excursions

RyanR1982

My partner and I are currently booked on the Star for Dec 19 2017..... We are due in Honolulu on Christmas Day..... Was wanting to to the cultural centre but they are closed..... Any suggestions on what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My partner and I are currently booked on the Star for Dec 19 2017..... We are due in Honolulu on Christmas Day..... Was wanting to to the cultural centre but they are closed..... Any suggestions on what to do?

Christmas day is a tough one. Maybe grab swim stuff and head for Waikiki Beach. You might also ask the question on the CC port forums area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Edited by ar1950

Or do our bridge tour or a spa day

There is a lot to do in Honolulu and Oahu. There will probably be several ship's tours available even though it is Christmas. Wait until the excursion list comes out and also check if some of the activities can be done independently as well. Even if it is just doing a beach day and knocking around Waikiki don't waste the day and stay on the ship while in port. You will have a lot of sea days for ship activities.

BTW, if the "bridge tour" you mention is the UST (Ultimate Ship Tour) it is scheduled on a sea day. Usually towards the end of the cruise.

Edited by ar1950

Hi,

Diamond Head State Park is open every day including holidays. You can get there by the city bus line which also runs every day, ship's tour or a shuttle from the dock. It is a good hike to the top but not overly so .,. I did it with my leg in a cast so it can't be too bad. The view from there is fantastic. Plan on a half a day +. I would recommend going in the morning because it can be hot in the afternoon.

The Pearl Harbor Memorial will be closed Christmas Day, only one of the three days it is closed each year.

A walk along Waikiki is great for the afternoon. There are many spots to stop and have a plate lunch and a drink just off the beach. Plus the ship isn't that far so you could walk back from there.

For dinner there are many Chinese cafes that will be open and close to the dock.

On our cruise that was back in 2012/13, we were originally scheduled to be in Honolulu on Christmas Day, but the Oahu and Maui days were switched after we had booked (which was right around final booking). I guess if the original itinerary was kept, we probably would have spent the day at the beach (that was our third Hawaiian RT and it seems we always end up at Waikiki each time anyway, at least for a little while).

It says a port day....

That may be old info. The last time we saw a ship tour on a port day was more than 6 years (maybe even 10 or more, don't recall exactly) years ago. I had been wanting to do one for the last few years and know it was always on a sea day towards the end of the cruise. I finally did it in January and it was more than worth the cost in information and knowledge imparted regarding the ship's operation.

BTW, no matter what day it is on, Princess chooses the day, you don't get the choice.

Edited by ar1950

Oahu is full of "free" events. I would reserve a car now for that day (and hope that the ship doesn't change it's itinerary).

Diamond Head look out

Diamond Head hike

Makapu'u lighthouse hike

Drive around the island to the North Shore

Mormon Temple (will be closed) but nice photo op

You can drive out to Pearl Harbor to see the Arizona Memorial, but the park itself will be closed.

Most of Waikiki would be open (not my favorite place to go even when it isn't a holiday)

Pali Lookout

Stroll Waikiki Beach just to say that you were there

Kayak Kailua Beach or swim at Lanikai Beach (watch for parking restrictions). Both have made it to the best beaches in the world.

Please respect the ocean in the winter. It can be treacherous.

Dole Plantation

Ala Moana Beach Park

I'm sorry you are arriving on Christmas Day. You will be missing some of the very important cultural events here. Never the less, there will be a lot to still do.

But things could change last minute..... Any ideas if they do anything fancy for the holidays

Are you talking about the city of Honolulu or about Princess?

On our last cruise (holiday time 2012-13 on the Golden Princess -- was our third Hawaiian RT), we went by the city hall area and there were plenty of decorations.

Princess goes all out in decorating their ships for the holidays. Either Christmas Eve or Day and NYE will tend to be formal dinner nights (at least on our last three cruises).